Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gravina

Heres that project many of you helped me with...

Hey guys,

Its been a bit since I have posted on here, I am currently between jobs and doing alot of freelance lately so I haven't had much time. I wanted to show you my work in progress of that project many of you have helped me on. I got alot of help for lighting issues, weird camera moves etc...im sure most of you remember. I didn't post it in the reels section only because I have got all of my help here. Please let me know if it should be moved to the other forum.

Again, this was my first "real" 3d mograph piece. It was for a very good friend of mine who is a magician and wanted an animated intro for his demo reel. Please excuse the use of grungy paint splatters and growing vines. My main focus on this project was the camera and lighting techniques and I didn't want to waste time worrying about the other graphical elements. It does however, fit the whole theme of his show. Its not 100% done but its pretty darn close, few things I want to change, I just wanted to put it up before everyone forgot about it.

I would love to hear what you guys think, both good and bad...again, its a really close friend of mine, and I didn't charge him much at all, I just wanted to use this project as a learning medium.

Thanks again for everyones help on this!

Jim

30 sec intro

Err...

"My main focus on this project was the camera and lighting techniques and I didn't want to waste time worrying about the other graphical elements."

Great camera moves, loverly lighting but you didn't spend time to actually make the content better?

Surely you have to 'worry' about what you are lighting and what you are moving around?

Seems strange to me. But I suppose if you learned lots about cameras and lighting then its all good.

Err...

"My main focus on this project was the camera and lighting techniques and I didn't want to waste time worrying about the other graphical elements."

Great camera moves, loverly lighting but you didn't spend time to actually make the content better?

Surely you have to 'worry' about what you are lighting and what you are moving around?

Seems strange to me. But I suppose if you learned lots about cameras and lighting then its all good.

Well my client wanted all the grunge / vines / paint anyways. Thats how the whole rest of his promo package is so he wanted it all to match...I happened to have the video copilot stuff, so i figured id use that and focus on the camera, lighting, etc.

Jim

Well my client wanted all the grunge / vines / paint anyways. Thats how the whole rest of his promo package is so he wanted it all to match...I happened to have the video copilot stuff, so i figured id use that and focus on the camera, lighting, etc.

Jim

I realise you just wanted crit on the camera and lighting, but bro.... no need to stick so closely to the riot gear tut, it sticks out like a sore thumb, a bloody great sore throbbing bastard. Also, I really have a thing against outer glow used on text, if you feel the need to have to make your type 'stand out' by adding this, you really have to look at all of the other elements in you composition first.

Anyway aside from that, good work, nice lights/camera animation, although I'm not really a fan of those short sharp rotating moves on the type. Now just need to work on your typography/layout/nopaintdrips skills.

yeah, as much as I LOVE that Andrew Kramer is on the planet, remember to tweak things and make them your own. Of course the client and 99% percent of your audience have never seen Kramer's stuff, so they think you are awesome, which is really more important than what we mograph weenies think.

Rock on.

yeah, as much as I LOVE that Andrew Kramer is on the planet, remember to tweak things and make them your own. Of course the client and 99% percent of your audience have never seen Kramer's stuff, so they think you are awesome, which is really more important than what we mograph weenies think.

Rock on.

Personally, I feel that if the client likes it..who cares how you made it, or what you used to make it, or how fast you got it done. If the client thinks it took you 10 hours and you did it in 2, so be it. You are there to please THEM, not your self or other artists.

On the other hand, rick T, I do see the point in trying to build your own graphics, ideas, etc..and I am all for that. This is why I was sure to say "please excuse" the use of these graphical elements. I BARELY charged the client anything as I really wanted to use this as a practice piece.

I do appreciate both of your angles on this

Jim

Personally, I feel that if the client likes it..who cares how you made it, or what you used to make it, or how fast you got it done. If the client thinks it took you 10 hours and you did it in 2, so be it. You are there to please THEM, not your self or other artists.

I just can't agree with that logic. Seems a bit depressing that you allow a magician to dictate your design.

I just can't agree with that logic. Seems a bit depressing that you allow a magician to dictate your design.

Well I am a magician myself, so i take offense to that comment...what part exactly don't you agree with?

Well I am a magician myself, so i take offense to that comment...what part exactly don't you agree with?

but is he a designer too? im not jabbing at magicians, it would've been the same statement if it were a iron worker or chef. i don't want someone to tell me what to do, if they have no experience in the field.

but is he a designer too? im not jabbing at magicians, it would've been the same statement if it were a iron worker or chef. i don't want someone to tell me what to do, if they have no experience in the field.

Ok, that makes a little more sense now, I wasn't sure where you were going with that comment. I just think people are missing the point on my whole project. I know i should design my OWN stuff, not use kramers stuff, blah blah, i know all this, and I am quite capable of doing that. But for this, my whole purpose was to focus on getting more comfortable with 3d camera moves and lighting scenarios. And since this was for my good friend and he knew i was just doing it to learn from, i didn't wanna waste time creating things from scratch, I wanted to use the time to focus on what I really wanted to learn more about, the camera and lighting.

So if anyone wants to critique my camera or lighting, I would love to hear your input, but please don't comment again on my use of video copilot stuff, ive heard it all, and expected to hear it, which is why i put "please excuse..."

Anyways, im done bickering :)

I still do appreciate the comments anyways thought, ;)

Jim

Also, I really have a thing against outer glow used on text

Wheres the outer glow? Not trying to be an ass, but I didn't think I used any, if you did notice it, let me know where, cause I agree with you, but i really didn't see any...

thanks

Jim

Wheres the outer glow? Not trying to be an ass, but I didn't think I used any, if you did notice it, let me know where, cause I agree with you, but i really didn't see any...

thanks

Jim

No worries, I was only talking about the text on the endcard, should have been more clear on that. And sorry again for critiquing the stuff you asked to be excused.

No worries, I was only talking about the text on the endcard, should have been more clear on that. And sorry again for critiquing the stuff you asked to be excused.

Actually i didnt even notice the outer glow till just now, he actually send me that logo, didn't even notice. Its all good, I just now realize how important the stuff you mentioned really is!

Thanks Rick,

Jim

Edited by Jim Gravina

Rothermel, how many of your clients are actually designers? Aren't we always taking direction from people who aren't designers?

Rothermel, how many of your clients are actually designers? Aren't we always taking direction from people who aren't designers?

well theres a huge difference between an advertising agency and a magician. given that not all ad execs are designers, they at least do this shit on a daily basis.

Majicq = DEMONS

Haha, yeah, ive seen that before! Its hilarious...in all seriousness thought, I love doing magic, and ive met a TON of cool people. Ive also gotten a ton of freelance work from it as well, which is why I still do it on the side.

Jim

Jim - How's Syracuse? I went to SU in the late 80's. Damn I'm old. Are you near the campus? Ever go to Cosmo's? Acropolis? Archies? Ahhh, the good old days.

Hey Scott,

Syracuse is great! I am about 15 minutes from the SU campus, I live north west of SU in a town called Baldwinsville. I have been to Archies, but not in a long while, great place though! One thing they do have goin here lately is the Carousel Mall expansion. I dont know if you have heard any details but they are under way to build DestinyUSA. It will become the biggest mall in the world in a few years. That site has some great details on it. They have already started construction.

Other than the mall, not too much is goin on round here. Where abouts are you now?

Jim