Sign in to follow this  
zook

Alternatives to Cinema 4D

I use mainly 3dsmax as my 3D suite I've been using it for several years and I've also done character animation, I use it for 3d type animation, 3d particles, spinning objects, etc in ae compositions and I'm quite happy.

I've also used c4d for a couple of months back in 2004 before it became "the tool for mograph" that it is now. I think c4d is not up to the standards of maya or 3dsmax as a 3d package, my impression with using it (and I've done quite complex stuff with it like a pseudo-realistic beating heart) is that it's too simplified, you can do many things and it's a great tool but if you want to do serious 3D like character animation you have to go xsi 3dsmax maya lightwave.

In terms of motion graphics I confess I haven't tried C4D's mograph plugin but I want to a lot, and I will once I get it and I trust it can become a very good tool.

I think we should take and use as many tools as we want, for example 3dsmax has very cool particle systems with particle flow, maya has fluid simulation, a "growth effect" for plants; and don't forget about blender which has the best meta objects I've ever seen in a 3d package (blobmeshes for 3dsmax users)

So if c4d seems hard, then... hire someone to do 3d for you!

Wait a second, Epal, you used a package in 2004, four years ago, and see fit to judge it now? It's been through two major releases since then, most importantly an entirely new character animation system that I'm currently using for some high-end work.

Four years ago Lionel Messi was a skinny kid with pimples in the Barcelona cafeteria line, Sergio Aguero was trying not to trip over the rough spots of the Independiente pitch and Fernando Gago was still making a hash of things in the Boca midfield. If someone came along and said, 'y'know, that Messi kid, last I saw him, couldn't stay on the ball when Diego Simeone pushed him around a bit,' people would think I was crazier than Carlos Roa. ;)

it's a terrible interface ... in comparison to Maya/Max - I don't think our old fears are unfounded, it's not an inviting interface (in my impression) the interface is more "in your face" with coloured icons etc where as the other apps let the interface drop into the background allowing you to work without feeling cluttered.

A real winner would be in being able to skin Cinema 4d in similar ways to other apps

In which ways? The GUI is quite customizable. I have personally "de-colored" mine to feel like an inferno interface. I've never used Max but I've used Maya twice as long as I've used C4D and I find C4D a breath of fresh air. The whole feeling like a noob thing is the same macho-ism that DOS/*nix guys say about Windows/Mac/GUI. Where you aren't a man unless you have to take 20 hours to do something that could be done in 1. Holding on to the argument that WHEN you need that deep power, you'll have it. Although unless you're a pipeline programmer, TD, or deep character animator, that day may never come.

This board's true colors show! Neither Chris nor I could resist the temptation to drop the mask of neutrality the minute things got a touch hairy. :D

Are CSTools available for Max or Maya?

Argument over

But Max users get an enormous amount of free plugins at http://www.maxplugins.de/ plus the free scripts at http://www.scriptspot.com

It's quite likely that every feature from CSTools is available for Max as a free plugin somewhere.

Me, I'm also a happy Max user. Max has everything you need and I don't really find it that difficult.

But from all that I've read on the internet so far I believe that Cinema4D is just as good.

Edited by igorschmigor

yea if its EASIER it must be BETTER right?

In fact I'm going to give up home cooked meals... its just too hard... I'm only going to eat fast food from now on. actually scratch that, fast food is too hard... I'm only going to drink protein shakes and blend all my food and suck it through a straw. I'm also giving up working out, cause lifting those weights is hard. And painting, I'm ONLY using paint by numbers... its just way easier I don't even have to think about it... i can make a kitten a horse a landscape... I mean what else would I possibly want to paint other than whats there for me in those kits???

nah but the reverse is true to also though... if there is a tool out there that does exactly what you need it too, you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

there seems to be a big battle where people are saying my 3D app is BETTER than your 3D app... which is about as intelligent as saying my dad is better than your dad. Sure there are very real differences between the apps... some of them work on on OS others not, some of them have certain plug-ins or render engines. And well those differences don't necessarily make one thing "BETTER" it just makes it more suited to your personal needs.

It's probably true that more motion graphics people place emphasis on FASTER and EASIER being better... and well so it makes the most sense to select a 3D application that fits that criteria.

Guest Sao_Bento
Nowhere fast.

I thought it was going to be an opportunity to dissect inaccurate metaphors . . . damn

You wouldn't believe the things I built with Ray Dream Designer about 12 years ago...

rd1.jpg

rd6.jpg

:) I tweaked the heck out of those wood, marble and metal spheres! The good ole days.

If only I had stayed in the 3D world and kept at it. Use MAX from time to time for basic stuff.

Edited by lands

>A real winner would be in being able to skin Cinema 4d in similar ways to other apps

Actualy you can change pretty much everything about the CINEMA 4D interface.

On the top you have the layout which can be adapted on the fly in seconds.

You can create/modify the menus or command bars.

With or without icons is a simple switch per icon bar.

Most people who try to adjust the colors complain not about there beeing not enough options but to many.

The icons are all stored in a single map and can be easily exchanged (provided you invest the time of creating your own).

Or simply change the saturation of the existing set or colorize it.

Bitmaps for backgrounds are equaly possible and you can even exchange all the bitmap elements that make up the interface elements.

Create and store your own defaults for all objects.

I can't think of much that can't be customized. It's just that most people find the defaults pretty ok and only tend to vary the layout.

Cheers

Björn