Sign in to follow this  
schumway

AEC troubles

Hey there,

I´m having trouble opening .aec-files in After Effects created in Cinema. The thing is it´s just a problem on this one computer. We´ve tried opening the same files on a lot of different computers and it opens on all of them except the one we need it to open on. Nothing happens in AFter Effects...

We know the file is ok, we have the latest version of AE CS3 (same problem in AE7), and we have the newest plugin from MAXON.

We have tried to reinstall everything, but same same.

Does anyone know what´s going on here???

PS. The computer is a week old iMac running Leopard.

Appreciate any help I can get.

can you just open the file on one of the computers it works on and then save it?

then it's just a normal .aep file and doesn't have anything to do with the .aec system/plugin/etc

.aec is just to get it to AE, then it's out of the picture

can you just open the file on one of the computers it works on and then save it?

then it's just a normal .aep file and doesn't have anything to do with the .aec system/plugin/etc

.aec is just to get it to AE, then it's out of the picture

Yeah I´ve done that for the current project I´m working on. But I sucks to do that every time I have to open an aec.

I've had the same issue.

After two hours I found what was wrong. The .aec exporter in C4D cannot handle non-standard characters in the path (german in my case). AE can handle them, C4D can handle them, but not the .aec exporter so when it writes the path of the sequence files it replaces the non-standard character with something else, underscore I think. Then when you open the .aec file in AE it cannot find that folder (the one with the underscore instead of the special character) because it doesn't exists.

It would save a lot of time that in these cases a "Wrong path" error message would pop up.

we're also having this problem on one of our machines, except after effects just outright crashes. our problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with non-standard characters. we've taken all the steps as schumway, and have had to resort to mike's solution of opening it elsewhere and saving it out. works, but it is a pain in the ass. month old mac pro running leopard and cs3.

After two hours I found what was wrong. The .aec exporter in C4D cannot handle non-standard characters in the path (german in my case). AE can handle them, C4D can handle them, but not the .aec exporter so when it writes the path of the sequence files it replaces the non-standard character with something else, underscore I think. Then when you open the .aec file in AE it cannot find that folder (the one with the underscore instead of the special character) because it doesn't exists.

This can´t be the same problem your having. I can open my files on some computers, which wouldn´t be possible if there was something wrong with the path.

in our studio, the .aec crashes AE on just one machine, but opens fine on others. I find that restarting the computer and then re-saving the .aec fixes the problem in my case (in c4d render settings, just click to save a new file- no need to re-render anything). However, after I've had ae and c4d running for a while, the problem returns, so I just keep having to restart everytime I want to save an .aec files.

Long object names in c4d mess up the export also. So if you have a light called 'key_blue_20_percent_new_bestest_final' in your c4d project, it'll screw up the entire aec.

What I found out was that if I put them on my desktop (path elstudion/mackintosh hd/users/elstudion/desktop) everything works fine. First I put it on one of my external drives and I had the same problems as you do.

So, even if it isn't the final solution, I found that it worked for me. So now I always have a folder on my desktop called C4D exports.

None of these things are working for me. Tried a one word file name/path, tried to my desktop--its just not working (Intel 8 core macpro running leopard). Works OK on my OSX 10.4+ box under CS3. Have the newest plugin posted on maxon in March 08.

Hey, I miss the 'Pile of Mussels' avatar!

HA-more like robo barnacles---some even say boobies,

I got it working by the way. Saving directly to my base User account (shortest file path possible!) somehow did it.

I dont understand why the file path being in sub folders causes this problem. I dont know if its a maxon issue or an adobe one.

I need to tell someone who will address this. Enjoy whats left of your weekend

-joel

I found a solution to my aec problems. If I save my aec file to an extern HD and open it up in AE from that disc, everything works fine. Everyone has been telling us to save the aec out to either the desktop or the user bin, so that´s what we been doing. Anyways, this seems to work for us on this particular machine.

Hope this helps.

Guest Sao_Bento
I found a solution to my aec problems. If I save my aec file to an extern HD and open it up in AE from that disc, everything works fine. Everyone has been telling us to save the aec out to either the desktop or the user bin, so that´s what we been doing. Anyways, this seems to work for us on this particular machine.

Hope this helps.

That's weird and concerning.

I have to save the aec to my root folder (user folder in mac osx) or it doesnt work. And I need to save a frame sequence with the same name along with it.

I usually export my aec later--after 3d footage has already been rendered so its a pain--I just render blank frames just to be done with it and toss them afterwards.

just to add a vote - very strange issues with AECs from R11.5 (OSX 10.5.6, most recent AEC plugin, AE 902)

- aec files are grayed out in the "import file" dialog (can't select them)

- drag/drop to project window does nothing

- aec files are not grayed out in the "open file" dialog (they can be selected), but selecting them and clicking OK does nothing

seems like all kinds of wacky stuff is going on

found my solution following this method:

Inside the MAXON folder on your HD, navigate to the Exchange Plugins folder. Inside there is an After Effects folder. Inside the After Effects folder, there are folders that will say mac 5.0, pc 5.0, etc.

Choose the one most appropriate to your OS and AE version. I think 6.5 is the highest so if you're running 6.5 or above choose that one. Inside that folder is a plugin (you may have to unzip it). Copy that plugin to your After Effects plugin folder. Now you should be able to import the .aec files directly into AE.

Note: The plugin on maxons site does not work with 11.5.

Second Note: Instead of the ae plugins folder within the After Effects folder, I placed the c4d.plugin into the hd>library>application support>adobe>common>plugins>CS4>mediacore

Edited by madaxid

As madaxid posted, the AEC plugin currently on the MAXON site is an old one for prior versions of CINEMA 4D and isn't compatible with R11.5. I'm trying to get that sorted out.

For C4D R11 and later, the most up-to-date AE exchange plugin for your version can always be found in CINEMA 4D App Directory\Exchange Plugins\After Effects.

If you're using the R11.5 Exchange Plugin and having reproducable issues, please contact tech support so they can investigate.

Rick Barrett

MAXON USA

Edited by Rick Barrett