Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS -> NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

I stumbled across this on an AVID forum that I'm on. I think this is old news but it's new news to me and I think I'll share this in case this is of interest to anybody here.

So I was looking into a high end NVIDIA Quadro FX card and um yeah... expensive.

Well, apparently one can softmod the GeForce 8800GTS card into a NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600.

There is some question as to whether or not this softmod produces enough of an improvement or not with programs like 3DSMAX or MAYA to make it worth while, but the mod offers a cheaper alternative to a high end Quadro card for those who need it.

Also, AVID is picky with what graphic cards it wants to work with and it likes the NVIDIA professional series for OpenGL support which is completely retarded in my opinion.

Here's the article on how to softmod the GeForce to Quadro -> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

Here's some benchmark test results (details in article above)

specviewperf.png

It's worth checking out.

I'm interested as the Quadros are great for Max/Maya work, but pricey - my bro has asked for me to build him a new machine and I think I'm gonna put a GTS in it and if it mods, I'll have that and he can have my GT. If I do it, I'll tell ya how it went...

I'm interested as the Quadros are great for Max/Maya work, but pricey - my bro has asked for me to build him a new machine and I think I'm gonna put a GTS in it and if it mods, I'll have that and he can have my GT. If I do it, I'll tell ya how it went...

I would not do that. I also have a 8800GT 512mb card and using the latest drivers, my Cinebench OpenGL result is 6542. They are getting 6823 after the mod. Not much of a difference to let go of your 8800GT. Btw, GT(s) are built on N92 chip rather than N80.

Cheers Lunaform for the info - I didn't even realise you could do it with a 8800GT - I was hoping to use a second hand GTS as the guinea pig but haven't dug into the details yet (kinda assuming you can convert it back to a Geforce if it goes pear shaped... hopfully!)

What is a good card for C4D 10.5 on a Mac Pro 2007. I bought it with just the defualt Nvidia card. What would be a good upgrade? ATI or stick with Nvidia? Also can I keep both cards for the coming GPU revolution?