Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

Spinning cylinder with motion blur

I'm working on a fairly fast-turnaround job and I need to make 3 video layers spin around like the bars of a fruit machine (or one-armed bandit or whatever they're called) When the layers come to rest they need minimal distortion but when they spin they should visibly look like they're on a cylinder, with perspective and warping etc.

I set up CC cylinder fine and then found out it doesn't have built in motion blur. The spin needs to be really fast so I think RS or CC post effect motion blur won't work, not to mention the render times.

I don't have Boris Continuum although I believe that also has no built in blur.

Any idea's? Do I need zaxwerks or something? I'd really rather avoid Cinema 4D as this all needs quite a lot of flexibility with timing.

If you use CC Cylinder, though... you could just manually add a directional blur, which would render quickly. You could even get fancy and connect the blur amount to the rotation speed via expressions, OR do it the lame way and keyframe it, which would probably be easier.

If you use CC Cylinder, though... you could just manually add a directional blur, which would render quickly. You could even get fancy and connect the blur amount to the rotation speed via expressions, OR do it the lame way and keyframe it, which would probably be easier.

Yeah.. the problem is that it spins so fast that on one frame it'll be at the top of the cylinder, fairly perpendicular to the camera, and comprising only a few pixels vertically, at which point the blur would all be underneath it, rather than both above and beneath which would happen with directional blur.

I think I'm going to just use 3D layers parented to nulls to spin them, and forget about trying to get curvature within the layer itself. As soon as the spin gets fast it looks curved anyway if I whack up the shutter and samples in Motion blur. I need to get going with the rest of the job really

But thanks Harry.

Edited by Steven Kirby

3d assistants might be able to set up the layers in a sphere type alignment if you go that route.. You say cc force motion blur won't give you the results you want? a little echo might work? otherwise, i'd say just spin the layers with nulls like you said.