Sign in to follow this  
Spunj

10 bit quicktime codecs & greenscreen?

I am currently working on a farm safety show for kids, which involves a host which was shot on a greenscreen. The show is being mostly composited on a Media100 844/x, which is an old (and abandoned) system, however, 4 real-time layers with alpha channels of 10 bit uncompressed video as well as real-time keying make it perfect for a 20 minute show that is all keyed. There is one problem. I am using AE CS3 to do the animations on a different computer, as well as certain complex composites with the greenscreen host - and unfortunately there is no Vista support for the 844/x uncompressed quicktime codec. So I have to export the pieces of greenscreen footage as something else.

I need to keep all of the pixel information from the 844/x video so the keys go smoothly in AE. What do you think would be the best choice? I am considering the Blackmagic 10 bit uncompressed codec, or just the uncompressed quicktime codec. Is Blackmagic truly uncompressed? (I don't have the card). This maybe a ignorant question but..is the "None" setting in the codec list 10 bit? ( I am thinking not, since I ran a test and saw that the same piece exported video was about 1/3 less in file size compared to Black magic.) Are there any other options for good 10 bit quicktime codecs that work with Vista?

Thanks dudes.

Edited by Spunj

I am currently working on a farm safety show for kids, which involves a host which was shot on a greenscreen. The show is being mostly composited on a Media100 844/x, which is an old (and abandoned) system, however, 4 real-time layers with alpha channels of 10 bit uncompressed video as well as real-time keying make it perfect for a 20 minute show that is all keyed. There is one problem. I am using AE CS3 to do the animations on a different computer, as well as certain complex composites with the greenscreen host - and unfortunately there is no Vista support for the 844/x uncompressed quicktime codec. So I have to export the pieces of greenscreen footage as something else.

I need to keep all of the pixel information from the 844/x video so the keys go smoothly in AE. What do you think would be the best choice? I am considering the Blackmagic 10 bit uncompressed codec, or just the uncompressed quicktime codec. Is Blackmagic truly uncompressed? (I don't have the card). This maybe a ignorant question but..is the "None" setting in the codec list 10 bit? ( I am thinking not, since I ran a test and saw that the same piece exported video was about 1/3 less in file size compared to Black magic.) Are there any other options for good 10 bit quicktime codecs that work with Vista?

Thanks dudes.

you can use the codecs of blackmagic or aja. both codec packages are available for free on their websites and contain uncompressed (but with chroma-subsampling) codecs.

good luck,

payton

by the way: digital anarchy has an 16bit rgb uncompressed codec for free on their website

Edited by payton