Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

1080psf?

I sent a tech support question to Black Magic about their DeckLink HD Extreme card (inquiring about a motherboard).

This is the reply I got:

The motherboard you have selected has the SLI feature. If you do get this

board, please make sure you place our card in the 3rd PCIe 16x slot. The

second should not be used as the motherboard might see our card as a

graphics card, causing issues as you try to work.

I think other than that, the MB looks like a good choice.

We do not support 1080p24/30/60, but do support 1080psf 23.98.

Hope this helps!

If required, PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL so we have ALL the information

pertaining to your issue.

Thank you for using Blackmagic Design products!

Please feel free to contact us for any support questions you may have.

----------------

So the part that's in red is what I'm wondering about. Is this going to be something I'm going to regret?

Edited by pamunoz

The card will be used on a system that will be pumping out full HD 1920x1080 content (progressive) @ 24fps. 90% of what I do will be AE but I was planning on potentially re-visiting Premiere Pro since that works with this card.

I am planning to buy a 30inch LCD display which supports enough pixel resolution to playback 2K video using the HDLink Pro card connected to this DeckLink HD Extreme card. 2K is thinking ahead - at this time I anticipate most of my projects will be HD.

1080PsF23.98 is a new term to me.

I believe that 1080PsF23.98 is pretty much progressive 24p only the full fields are interlaced for the purposes of accurate previewing on HD CRT montiors.

I am hoping that I can still just setup a 24p project, with this card with no problem. Are the AE drivers picky though? Do I need to setup a very specific composition settings in order for it to output the image through the card?

Have any of you that have the card tried previewing 1080p24/30/60 projects with this card and experienced any problems?

Edited by pamunoz

That should be pretty standard. The few times I've been forced to shoot HD cams, I roll it 1920x1080 PsF. So you get progressive images onto an interlaced format.

Hmm... I thought I'd mention that there is a new card is in the works but with no ETA that will support 24p. I'm holding off till then. Their customer service is great btw. Very kind people at that place... at least to me.

This is a little bit tricky - but here goes...

The card states it will support - 1080PsF23.98/24, 1080i48, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p59.94, 720p60 and 720p50 625/25 PAL, 525/29.97 NTSC and 525/23.98 NTSC.

To me, that looks like it should cover it.

ACTUAL 24P is a pretty rare format. Most 24P that people talk about is actually 23.98, and therefore is handled slightly differently than 24P. Progressive 24/30/60 are not really the frame rates you most likely need to be concerned with if you are creating motion graphics for television. You are most likely going to worry about 23.98/29.97/59.94.

Also - if you are only using the card for monitoring... even if you DID need to do an ACTUAL 24P (say, for cinema output to film) sequence, all you'd have to do is conform it to 23.98 to play out, and just set it back to 24 to render. Even in those cases, outputting to 23.98 would not be a problem, they'd just conform it to 24 in the finish or at the film lab. (I've done this many times)

The trick is, that most of these formats can be converted to another. So, you may be working in one, and outputting to another. Basically you just need to determine what you are doing with the card. If it going to be used to drive a monitor and nothing else, I'd say go for it.

Oh, one more thing - Almost all of the decks you'd ever use, (if you even use decks...) HDCAM, HDCAM SR, D5 support 23.98/24 Psf. DVCPro HD handles 23.98 material in the "panasonic way" by duplicating frames to get to 59.94 so it doesn't really count in this discussion.

Hope that helps,

-Chris