Sign in to follow this  
tcastudios

Mind Your Business: You Will Lose All The Rights to Your Own Art

It's not as simple as people are making it out in their mad rush to make this a David vs. Goliath thing. This always frustrates me about crowd behavior regarding policy, especially digital policy. Really, there are a a thousand things more important to be worried about, especially considering the few upsides of the law.

When I read about this in 3DWorld last week it didn't strike me as quite the horrific snatch-grab that people are making it out to be.

Wish I could give this the usual 'treatment' but no time atm.

This article is such a whine fest. If you read the article, you can tell that the guy really doesn't understand the law at all. It sounds like he's trying to blame "the man" for his dumpy career. He even brings up Bill Gates and makes some pretty broad generalizations about how greedy he is.

Put the Democrats in the majority over there in Congress, and look what you get. $4 gas and this kind of thing.

Hehe, the bill is sponsored by two republicans and is being pushed by primarily republican lobbyists...

Open mouth, insert foot :)

This page from Wikipedia might be interesting.

I think it's alarming when you see all the institutions that are against it:

Many groups oppose the 2008 Orphan Works Legislation, including the American Association of Independent Music, the Illustrators Partnership, the National Association of Music Publishers, the National Association of Record Industry Professionals, the Association of Independent Music Publishers and the American Federation of Radio and Television Artists (AFL-CIO)

Most of the orgs against it are ones who stand to pay a ton of money to register works, even at $2 per registry. For them, that's hundreds of thousands of dollars. Principled stands aren't the hallmark of trade groups.

If Pat Leahy is on this, I trust that it'll come out okay. Yep, I'm that naive. I trust Leahy implicitly. Oh what a sucker I am.

On a side note, once it sinks into people's heads that many right-wingers exist to piss off decent people (aka the people they consider 'liberals') and have no other goal whatsoever, it's easy to understand and completely ignore that $4 gasoline comment from our friend in Bismarck.

Yeah, I couldn't resist the opportunity to push a couple of buttons.

Cf

A quick search shows Democrat representative Howard Berman as the original sponsor of the House resolution, although he's got some evil Republicans on board as well. The Senate bill is Leahy's with Hatch as Republican co-sponsor. So it's not an exclusively Republican evil plan. You really can't trust any of them, regardless of party affiliation.

Edited by VelocityVideo

*sigh* it must be right. Comrade Napoleon is always right. I will just work harder.

"two legs baaaad. four legs gooooood."

:blink:

OT: hahah.. I loved that book...