Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Software to encode to AVI (MPEG 2, I frame, 100Mbit)

Hola Peeps,

I've got to batch out a bunch sequences to AVI '100Mbit Mpeg 2, I frame only, 1920x1080' - have tried the free route using 'Super' and a few other Mpeg transcoders but I'm not convinced I'm doing it right and just want to buy so pro software to get the job done. What software does everyone else use for their encoding work, all I can find is Cleaner XL (old Media Cleaner)? (for Windows)

:-)

It's sunny!

I've just grabbed the trial of Autodesk 'Cleaner XL' and that seems to miss out being able to output AVIs containing MPEG2 video (it can only make an AVI MPEG3). This is all based on my current installed codecs, which is a pretty short list of whatever comes as default plus a few extra Quicktime codecs so I'm guessing I'm limiting myself unless I fork out for a matrox or blackmagic card...

If anyone knows an alternative way of encoding AVI Mpeg2s, or even a place in London who're good with encoding/converting video I'd be mucho grateful for any leads,

Phil

I've just grabbed the trial of Autodesk 'Cleaner XL' and that seems to miss out being able to output AVIs containing MPEG2 video (it can only make an AVI MPEG3). This is all based on my current installed codecs, which is a pretty short list of whatever comes as default plus a few extra Quicktime codecs so I'm guessing I'm limiting myself unless I fork out for a matrox or blackmagic card...

If anyone knows an alternative way of encoding AVI Mpeg2s, or even a place in London who're good with encoding/converting video I'd be mucho grateful for any leads,

Phil

well, its much easier to say what's possible than to say what's impossible, cause there is always the chance to miss something. but i´m pretty (close to totally) sure that the AVI container format does not support MPG2.

payton

Bugger. Thanks Payton, you definitely can - Matrox have a codec for it you can download (handily) Matrox's codecs as software only solutions from their site, which is great cos the spec I've been given is from a guy using matrox hardware, but for some reason the 'Matrox MPEG2 I-frame only' AVI codec doesn't want to play at any resolution than SD. (I gots to export at 1080p)...

A nice guy at www.pixeltools.com is looking into developing his MPEG encoding software so it handles the AVI container format...

The only reason for all this fannying is that the client is the Beeb and normally they do all the encoding themselves but when peeps are on holiday the whole project grinds to... a... halt. And I gotta get this job done before my wedding next month...

for future generations...

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/rt2.../protected/#vfw

Bugger. Thanks Payton, you definitely can - Matrox have a codec for it you can download (handily) Matrox's codecs as software only solutions from their site, which is great cos the spec I've been given is from a guy using matrox hardware, but for some reason the 'Matrox MPEG2 I-frame only' AVI codec doesn't want to play at any resolution than SD. (I gots to export at 1080p)...

A nice guy at www.pixeltools.com is looking into developing his MPEG encoding software so it handles the AVI container format...

The only reason for all this fannying is that the client is the Beeb and normally they do all the encoding themselves but when peeps are on holiday the whole project grinds to... a... halt. And I gotta get this job done before my wedding next month...

for future generations...

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/rt2.../protected/#vfw

well, if you install proprietary software almost anything could be possible. maybe you can put an mp3 file into an psd. woooosh. senseless.

if the guy you are encoding for uses matrox hardware, the only good choice will be using matrox codecs. maybe you find another way but you cant be sure that this will play well on his hardware.

payton

I've used TMPGenc for I-frame mpg2's, but can't remember if it will make a avi....

You might just find renaming the .mpg to .avi, might be enough, maybe check that out with your man, and I'll try and have a look at TMPGenc later for you!

Cheers Catweasel - yep, done that already using TEMPGenc; and waiting for the answer... Payton - it's defnitely proprietary but it ain't me calling the shots...

tanks none-the-less

Phil