Sign in to follow this  
Duder

10bit workflow

For those of you who render out to 10bit instead of 8bit, which codec do you use? BlackMagic Uncompressed 10bit? I have an intensity so this is idea.

Do you guys turn on 16 bpc in the project window?

For those of you who render out to 10bit instead of 8bit, which codec do you use? BlackMagic Uncompressed 10bit? I have an intensity so this is idea.

Do you guys turn on 16 bpc in the project window?

Mac or PC?

The BMD and Apple Uncompressed codecs are actually pretty much the same thing (2vuy) with a different name.

AE would handle either with its' own importer.

If you don't set your project to 16 bpc or higher, there's no point in using a 10 bit YUV codec.

Edited by Adolfo Rozenfeld

I'm on a Mac. I have the BM codecs installed with my Intensity Pro in the Mac Pro, so I should work at 16bpc and render out to 10bit BM then? Cool. I always stuck with Animation but that is 8bit.

Not sure if the BM 10bit codec supports Alpha, does it? Haven't tried it.

Not sure if the BM 10bit codec supports Alpha, does it? Haven't tried it.

Without looking, I'm 98% sure that none of the 10bit codecs mentioned above support embedded alphas (Apple, FCP, Blackmagic).

Guest Sao_Bento
what about good ole 16bit TIFs? Otherwise, you might be looking at Mattes and Fills - which is old school, but works just fine.

Yep, the good ol' matte and fill. Just add another Output module to your render queue and select "alpha only".

Ahh back to image sequences...one of the reasons I like to keep the audio/video in the same file is for backup purposes. Looks like I have to change the way I work from now on.