Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Navarro

Cinema 4D tutorials

I bought 3D Studio Max in college and I've been playing around a bit with it lately trying to learn how to use it. I'm finding it very difficult.

So, after viewing some of the stuff here, I decided to download the Cinema 4D demo and give it a try. DAMN! It just seems a lot easier to use and I've been able to do a few things with it that I could never figure out in 3DSM.

However, I'm still fairly new to all this 3D stuff, so I started looking for online tutorials and while I did manage to find a few here and there, I just can't seem to find much of anything for it. And trust me, I've visited all of the sites mentioned here, mentioned on the Maxon site and numerous other forums specific to C4D.

But I keep running into hundreds and hundreds of tutorials for 3DSM and maybe a couple hundred for C4D.

I was chatting with a friend of mine in Texas who uses C4D (and talked me into downloading the demo) and he told me that most people who use C4D are professionals that don't share their secrets. To share a secret is to give away a marketable advantage. Unlike 3DSM which has thousands of hobbyists that use it and are willing to share what they learn because they don't use it for professional work.

I did find a number of interesting looking "paid" tutorials, but I'm not that rich (yet). I'm gonna blow a big part of my software budget on C4D if I get it.

Basically, I'm trying to talk myself into buying it and the only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of tutorials.

So, um... hmm... I guess I'm asking what I should do...? :)

Without posting which places you already tried, it's hard narrowing down new options. But to cover some basics:

cineversity.com

c4dcafe.com

3dfluff.com

c4dportal.com

3dattack.net (archives of their publication is a goldmine)

Dave,

You are more than welcome to check out some of my tutorials. I'm in the process of recording a new one that gives away trade secrets dealing with the Mograph Module and After Effects. Plus some modeling tips. Most are free, but a couple will cost a few bucks. Nothing over $25. The other sites that Chris talked about are great starting points.

LINK

Keith

Are you interested in becoming a working 3D artist or are you just a hobbyist?

On a few projects I've done, I have had to outsource the 3D work because I was incapable of doing it myself. I'd prefer to do everything myself, if possible. So I guess the answer is that I'm interested in becoming a "working 3D artist", although not as my primary profession.

Without posting which places you already tried, it's hard narrowing down new options. But to cover some basics:

cineversity.com

c4dcafe.com

3dfluff.com

c4dportal.com

3dattack.net (archives of their publication is a goldmine)

With the exception of 3dattack.net (thanks for that), I have been do all the others mentioned. I do not have a paid Cineversity membership, so I can't access a lot of stuff there, but in going through the list of paid member only tutorials, I didn't see much that I am personally interested in.

I have a Lynda.com account and went through the tutorial there which helped me greatly with the interface.

i have learned a ton about C4D from 3DKiwi over at c4dcafe. he builds great video tutorials. the guy is explicitly clear, tells you exactly what you need to know, and has the BEST accent ever. i started about a year ago, knowing nothing about any 3d, and now I have a pretty good basic grasp of it. im even working on a short film with some simply rigged characters....with almost everything learned from 3Dkiwi tuts.

You are more than welcome to check out some of my tutorials. I'm in the process of recording a new one that gives away trade secrets dealing with the Mograph Module and After Effects. Plus some modeling tips. Most are free, but a couple will cost a few bucks. Nothing over $25. The other sites that Chris talked about are great starting points.

Keith,

MANY thanks. I had found your site already through an earlier link on this site and have found your tutorials in both AE and C4D to be both invaluable and easy to follow.

cmiVFX has a series of Cinema ones, $50 each. I bought the 5th one, its pretty good. Getting a hold of the people who run the site can be a bit difficult though, but the videos are good.

I think mograph should start a del.icio.us account and keep things like this handy for people to just browse through their links!!!

What do you say?

Hey Dave,

I know you said you checked out Cineversity, but there's a lot of tutorials to sift through, even if you haven't bought a subscription. If you didn't see the Power Tour series, I'd definitely check it out. All those tutorials are free and deal specifically with motion graphics.

If there's other types of tutorials you'd really like to see, please post a request in the Cineversity forum. It helps our instructors decide how to spend their time.

Also, make sure to check out Tim Clampham's free tutorials and his blog (which he'd probably have time to update if we hadn't conned him into doing some tuts for Cineversity).

Rick Barrett

MAXON USA / Cineversity

Edited by Rick Barrett

I was chatting with a friend of mine in Texas who uses C4D (and talked me into downloading the demo) and he told me that most people who use C4D are professionals that don't share their secrets. To share a secret is to give away a marketable advantage. Unlike 3DSM which has thousands of hobbyists that use it and are willing to share what they learn because they don't use it for professional work.

Haha!

Seriously.

You do know that the marketshare of 3dsmax is ten times that of C4D right? That's why there is so much info on it available.

You do know that the marketshare of 3dsmax is ten times that of C4D right? That's why there is so much info on it available.

Make that "installed base", since the market share in new sales is very different from this ;)

Cheers

Björn

Yeah, Cinversity is pretty good.

Occasionally the instructions are too fast and you have to

play it over and over to figure out what he did, but the tuts from

independents are usually well done and thorough.

Where are the tutorials on 3dKIWI?

You're joking , right?

Where it says 'tutorials' on the big header at the top. (between 'links' and 'forums'). It's a button. You activate it by putting your curser over that and then hit your left mouse button.