Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

To VISTA or not to VISTA

So, I love my XP Pro OS. It's rock solid perfectly tweaked and configured and running like a gem. As you can imagine, I'm not particularly a fan of upgrading to VISTA at all. My system is more than capable of handling Vista too but I purposely purchased XP Pro instead because of all the horror stories floating around 6 months ago about how crappy Vista is: Opening a picture with VISTA preview

Well... I think the time is coming to... shudder... switch to VISTA Ultimate... mostly because of things like DirectX 10, 64bit, RAM, and next gen software.

Can somebody here please tell me they are having a better time with VISTA than with XP? This upgrade is hard for me because my XP runs so well right now that it just doesn't feel like it needs to be upgraded. I dunno, maybe I can squeeze another year out of my ol' faithful 32bit OS.

And please... don't tell me to get a MAC.

Is it possible to upgrade from XP 32 to VISTA ULTIMATE 64 or am I better off just getting a new drive and starting a fresh install scratch?

Nice, I was thinking about going XP64... I went with VISTA Ultimate because of RAM support. Looks like the Vista 64 OS is designed for lots of ram. I'm doubt that I'll need much more than 4 anytime soon, but ya never know. :-)

Here's a question for ya: What happens if a computer has 2 bootable HDD's?

I'm thinking about getting a new HDD and getting VISTA on that, but still keeping my XP OS HDD in the machine and I'm hoping that I can somehow switch boot priorities using the bios. I've never tried something like this before, I don't even know it'll work, but it would be nice to have the ability to go back to my old OS when needed (and not have to create partitions).

I am certian that I'll encounter a problem with something on VISTA that currently only works with XP. I can boot on XP, use that software, then shut down, switch boot priorities on the bios and then boot vista for normal use.

Yeh, you can either set your boot options in the BIOS (either default drive and/or manually going to the boot menu)...or you can just modify the Boot.ini file to contain both drives/installations so you can choose on startup which one you want

Here's a quick how-to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

edit: just note that with an entirely seperate disk, you need to change the disk flag to something other than zero...it'll be 1-3 depending on where it is on your mainboard. So it'd be something like this multi(0)disk(1, 2 or 3)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Edited by 7twelve

Running Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit without any problems here. My installation DVD had the SP1 already integrated so I never experienced any of the pre SP1 problems that the others had. I've also disabled all the eye-candy that the Vista comes with and many other annoying stuff. I could tell you that it's running just as my XP Pro SP2 did.

But if you are still not convinced, I could advise you to get Windows Server Std. 2008 and customize it to run it as a workstation.

I actually love Vista, and never understood what all the whining was about. Just NEVER EVER EVER create multiple accounts then try to block access to your asset drives from your roommates. You will accidentally lock yourself out. Even though you may be an administrator, you are not THE administrator. Its f*&%ed up and weird, but I locked myself out of my entire hard drive. Had to take it out, put it into an XP machine, copy all the files to a new drive. (before anyone responds with the "right click and change permissions", let me go ahead and tell you that it doesn't work. Not the apply to all files in all subfolders option anyway. I had to change the permission for each individual file, which is impossible if you are trying to open a file from within a program.

So enough about my big mistake. Other than that, I think its a great OS, but with windows 7 coming out next year (supposedly. We all know how Microsoft is), I am eager to see what types of changes there will be since they, themselves, called Vista the windows 7 beta.

I believe all of us here are computer literate enough to not have problems.

Turn off UAC unless you just love to be annoyed every 30 seconds. Vista Ultimate 64 bit lover here. No matter how much RAM you throw at it, Vista will consume 30% right off the bat, no matter what. If someone knows how to fix this, please please let me know.

I think I will be needing to make the jump myself. Might ened a new Dell and it looks like they are all Vista now :(

Anyone had any experience running Adobe CS2 under Vista? We are not upgrading until CS4 and bypassing CS3. Might need to get on Vista before CS4 comes out which means using my current CS2 version. And correct me if I am wrong but Quicktime will not work under Vista 64 right?

Actually here is my current list of software. If anyone one knows of any glaring badness or doom whit them and Vista please feel free to PM me.

Adobe CS2 Production Premium

3DS Max 9

Vray 1.5 SP1

ACDSee

Quicktime Pro

Cheers!

The big advantage to going to 64 bit vista is using actual 64 bit applications... If you're mainly using After Effects, save yourself the headache of upgrading until CS4 comes out and fully supports 64 bit environments. The one thing I really like about Vista is their much improved desktop search, but now you can get the same thing for XP as a free upgrade from Microsoft.

Yes, CS2 and Vista is a bad combo. You don't want to do this. Upgrading to CS3 would be worth it.

Yikes. maybe I will just build my own system and put XP on it.

Tried Ult64 for awhile, and for the most part I liked it. It was fast and solid, but it definitely took some getting used to. Ended up having to dump it due to a few problems, the most glaring being lack of support for T1 fonts and font management software. Actually, I think this was an Adobe problem, since none of the CS3 apps could see font unless they were ALSO installed into the Adobe folder. I have amassed a ridiculous font collection over the years, and am constantly installing and uninstalling fonts for certain projects. This was just too much hassle when combined with the other quirks and problems, so I dumped it and went back to XP. There are things I still miss about Vista, but not enough to try it again yet.

...I think its a great OS, but with windows 7 coming out next year (supposedly. We all know how Microsoft is)...

Microsoft is currently forecasting a release date of early 2010.

Here are my thoughts about Windows 7... I knew about XP and VISTA years before they came out through their respective beta's and public demonstrations. At this stage, we have no betas or public demonstrations available for Windows 7 and people have very limited information about what features it will include. Today, most of what's out there on the web is speculation which leads me to believe that Microsoft is still in the early stages of the Windows 7 development process. We're also at least one more service pack away before we see the end of VISTA. There will be no major changes to critical things like the driver model. So don't worry, VISTA to W7 is (in theory) going to be a painless process especially in terms of hardware compatibility.

This whole VISTA/W7 scenario kinda reminds me of Windows 95 and Windows 98.

Windows 7 won't be released until 2010 at the earliest. Knowing what we know now, I think that it's safe to get VISTA at this time because Microsoft considers the VISTA platform to have established a very solid multiyear foundation.

Yikes. maybe I will just build my own system and put XP on it.

...so I dumped it and went back to XP. There are things I still miss about Vista, but not enough to try it again yet.

Hahaha... and this is why I am having so much trouble letting go of XP. But I guess I just have no choice... either I jump on the next-gen bandwagon or get left behind. RIP XP

Edited by pamunoz