Sign in to follow this  
Carey

headphones

Every year or so, someone starts the "looking for some new headphones" thread, and it evolves into a kind of confusing discussion about who likes what, cuz we all attenuate to sound differently, and what's comfortable to you isn't to me cuz I have huge ears and you have cushiony fat deposits on your skullcap or whatever... BUT I thought I'd ask this year since mine have finally found a way to break that yet more gaffing tape can't half-heartedly heal. I went to a couple of shops and tried on some of the sets mentioned in those previous threads, like the Beyer-Dynamics 770, Sennheiser 280, and some other random cans hanging there in a tangled mess, as they tend to be when afflicted by retail shoppers. Hard to tell the quality when the listening station is planted 5 feet from where Jimmy "DJ X5000" Schmidt is rocking a hard trance set with all of his suburban might at the local Guitar Center.

Anyone tried a set of semi-open or fully open cans, like the Sennheiser 595s? I've read great things, but also that they leak a lot of sound... not so good for work neighbors?

In short: anything out there that's rocking anyone's socks? AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser, whut?

You're definitely right about the range of opinions about this subject. Here's my data for what it's worth.

I've owned Sony headphones most of my life.

I made it though most of my life as a DJ with the bulletproof MDR-V600s and I now use the MDR-V900s for work stuff.

May father, who was a former sound engineer (and is now rather deaf) introduced me to the Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Bose (I emphasize v2 because I've listened to the v3s and I thought they were trash). They are apparently the only headphones my dad can actually hear anything from. I was pretty blown away by the clarity and response myself. I haven't found a reason to spend $300 on a pair of headphones yet, but when I do I will likely pick up a pair of those.

I have listened to a wide variety of pro-sumer AKGs and Sennheisers in various studios and have never been impressed by the results.

-m

I have a bunch of Sennheiser models, but I mostly wear a pair of HD590s.

Great for long listening. Very comfortable and wearable for hours at a time. Large though, and fully open.

hd590_hires.jpg

having a sound design minor, i can say these two are worth buying

a) FS1's . i forget who makes em just look em up. the HD in ear headphones are amazing.fit well. last long time. so good i bought a second pair when they broke

for the full headset type of headphones- Sony MDR 7506's . thats what us sound designers use when need be. reliable. good sound.

I have a pair of Sony 7506's. I bought them for doing location sound recording. They are super flat, and a great, durable set. Not too expensive either. Perfect to take on the road if you are working at various shops. I have had that pair for over 9 years and they are still in great shape.

I also have AKG K240DF's. They sound better to me, but are difficult to power (your ipod will always be a little too quite) and I think they would get destroyed taking them to work. So...I rarely use them.

The Sony 7506's are really tough to beat if you are gonna be taking them on the road every day. I have yet to see another set that folds so nicely and sounds this good. No, they don't sound like a $600 set - but they're not bad at all.

I would stay away from in-ear isolating headphones for work. That shit will wreck you, and is a pain in the ass to be putting on and off all day.

Edited by fishface

Every year or so, someone starts the "looking for some new headphones" thread, and it evolves into a kind of confusing discussion about who likes what, cuz we all attenuate to sound differently, and what's comfortable to you isn't to me cuz I have huge ears and you have cushiony fat deposits on your skullcap or whatever... BUT I thought I'd ask this year since mine have finally found a way to break that yet more gaffing tape can't half-heartedly heal. I went to a couple of shops and tried on some of the sets mentioned in those previous threads, like the Beyer-Dynamics 770, Sennheiser 280, and some other random cans hanging there in a tangled mess, as they tend to be when afflicted by retail shoppers. Hard to tell the quality when the listening station is planted 5 feet from where Jimmy "DJ X5000" Schmidt is rocking a hard trance set with all of his suburban might at the local Guitar Center.

Anyone tried a set of semi-open or fully open cans, like the Sennheiser 595s? I've read great things, but also that they leak a lot of sound... not so good for work neighbors?

In short: anything out there that's rocking anyone's socks? AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser, whut?

I've tried the Senn 280s on. And although they sound nice, they are terrible for long listening since they smash you head with that super tight band. Not to mention, they get all hot and sweaty if I wear them for a couple hours.

I went on to spend the money(a lot for what I thought should be spent on headphones) on the 595s and I am VERY happy with the purchase. The headphones are super comfortable, and sound great. Yes, the do leak some sound, but all open headphones will depending on the volume level. If you like to have your music up loud, there is a chance it might bother your neighbor.

I sit with two people pretty much on either side of me. One of them has the Senn 600(Now discontinued I believe), and the other 555. Unless they have their volume levels up high, they don't bother me at all. Much less if I have my own headphones on as well.

I've owned Sony headphones most of my life.

I have listened to a wide variety of pro-sumer AKGs and Sennheisers in various studios and have never been impressed by the results.

I second that. SONY has never let me down.

Studio headsets are a misnomer somewhat. Usually AKG studio headsets and the like are crap for listening to the entire mix. Because in a studio , the only use for headphones is recording, not mixing. So those headphones are made to have minimal leak and highend that isn't too strong. When I was a sound engineer, we never took them seriously for audio quality, just cheap things to pass around to the band members that won't let all the high end leak into the recording mics.

If you recorded with "crispy" sounding headphones for full mixes, you would get all kinds of ear fatigue, and the sound of hi hats leaking into vocals.

I went on to spend the money(a lot for what I thought should be spent on headphones) on the 595s and I am VERY happy with the purchase. The headphones are super comfortable, and sound great. Yes, the do leak some sound, but all open headphones will depending on the volume level. If you like to have your music up loud, there is a chance it might bother your neighbor.

yeah, people tend to say they sound fantastic, and they can be had for a semi-reasonable price, but I'd kind of like to deaden ambient studio noise (chatter, cpu fans, phones ringing, etc.) and it doesn't sound like those are gonna do it. Otherwise I'd be all over that shit.

I second that. SONY has never let me down.

I'm just coming away from a raggedy pair of mdr-v500s. They served me well, but don't dampen much. That, and I'm tempted by the myth of the audiophile experience.

Sup Binky, I personally roll like this and I think you should as well, ppl around the studio seem to love it!!! It's also very convenient when you go on your shopping sprees at the Gap!!! The bonus, it saves your big ears from the trauma. :)

ghetto_blaster_051216035418598_wideweb__300x375.jpg

We have the Sennheiser

HD 465's

HD 555's

HD 650's

The 650's are AMAZING... but they go to the person working on the most audio driven project. I mostly just deal with the 555's which are good enough (though they do leak sound), because I'm just listening to garbage while designing crappy storyboards.

Edited by Douglas

Just wanted to bump this one back to the top. I too am in the market for a new set of cans, and was hoping one of the experts around here could compare the HD280s (Sen) to the 7506s or the V6s (Sony). I don't know of a decent place around here to try them in person, so if anyone's tried them both, I'd love opinions.

IMO the hd280's are some of the better sub $100 headphone you'll find. I personally can't stand sony's build quality (have broken many, many a pair)...but also, it really depends on what your target application is. Will you be doing critical mixing, thus needing a really flat response...or is it more for basic auditioning and just listening to music?

here's a nice little site to compare the response curves of various headphones http://www.headphone.com/technical/product...s/build-a-graph

Cool site, too bad they don't list the Sonys. As far as use, some mixing, mostly monitoring (so yeah, flat response necessary), and general day to day listening, (music, movies). My cranium's a touch large, so the 280s have me a little worried, but not enough to write them off yet.

I'd definitely rather stick closer to the $100 price point, if possible. I know I'm not going to find something like the 600's at that range, but it's still going to be way better than what I'm using now. I'll probably go ahead and give the 280s a shot, but I wanted to be sure because I keep hearing everyone rave about the Sonys.

Havok, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't know if my ears are deformed or something but I've never been able to make buds stay in my ears. :)

I ended up going with the Ultrasone 780 through RMCaudio.com for $179 (MSRP=$300 or so). They block sound fairly well, but only because they wear a little tight (I might be a fathead). They're foldable, but large, and a bit heavier than I'm used to. Sound quality is kind of confounding. They're high performance in that I'm hearing stuff in my old music that I never heard before, but at the same time they make imperfections like recording and compression much more apparent, and I'm used to just being able to rock to any nasty audio file. That said, with high quality recordings, they're pretty amazing. I don't know soundstages from shit, so take that with salt.

I know this thread is 2 years old...(time flies)

But how are the Ultrasone 780's, Binky?

I've been looking at them and just ordered (I can still cancel it.)

I originally wanted to get the HD280, but I heard bad things through research on audio forums. The Ultrasone 780 has gotten good reviews, but like you said, it's heavier, etc.

Just wanted to check if it's good to have it on 10 hours per day and if it's comfy or not.

Finally moving up to cans instead of in-ears... don't want to damage my ears.

And if anybody is interested in the HD280, it's on sale for $69.99 right now:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=HS-SHD280P&c=CJ

Use coupon code "CRUNCH10" (Exp. 5/16)

Edited by hyp3

And just to add another element to the equation, Can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones (not earbuds) for just listening to music at work and that are portable/durable?

I'm not really an audiophile, so just about anything with decent sound will do, I guess i'm leaning on the portability/durablility side.

Weirdly I've been thinking about those dr dre monster headphones for music (not a huge hip hop fan but the music I listen to still would benefit from nice clear bass).

I can feel myself being dragged into the hype machine but I've heard good things, not particularly interested in the top price 'studio' ones with the active drivers but the regular over ear £100-ish ones. I'm going to be living in a hotel in london for a few weeks in june/july and think even my beloved in-ear shure's might get a bit uncomfortable from 7pm to 2am every night plus any time in the day