Sign in to follow this  
Carey

headphones

On a budget for around the office jammin', we occasionally spring for the $89 5-pack of Sennheiser HD202s from BSW. I grabbed a pack of those for at home/in the garage as well.

Cf

Weirdly I've been thinking about those dr dre monster headphones for music (not a huge hip hop fan but the music I listen to still would benefit from nice clear bass).

I can feel myself being dragged into the hype machine but I've heard good things, not particularly interested in the top price 'studio' ones with the active drivers but the regular over ear £100-ish ones. I'm going to be living in a hotel in london for a few weeks in june/july and think even my beloved in-ear shure's might get a bit uncomfortable from 7pm to 2am every night plus any time in the day

Those headphones are terrible for that price.

For around the same $$$$ you can get something better.

Check out this forum.

I've been hearing great things about the Ultrasone 780. Can't wait until I get it. Always wanted cans but couldn't justify buying them.

I read that the bass on this thing is fantastic. Good, I listen to a lot of everything and bass is important to me.

Edited by hyp3

Those headphones are terrible for that price.

For around the same $$$$ you can get something better.

Check out this forum.

I've been hearing great things about the Ultrasone 780. Can't wait until I get it. Always wanted cans but couldn't justify buying them.

I read that the bass on this thing is fantastic. Good, I listen to a lot of everything and bass is important to me.

Thanks for the heads up I'll check them out!

So I've had the 780s for quite a while now and they're pretty awesome. When you first get them, they may sound a bit "technical", but they have a break-in period of 50hrs or something, during which time they'll warm up and then they sound really lovely. The construction hasn't failed me, and the only thing I'd change is the padding at the top, which is sort of narrow and stiff. I had a shaved head when I bought them and they were sort of painful to wear, but I have hair now and it's not really a bother. Mileage may vary.

Oh, and I don't really know that it's ever been shown that in-ear is more dangerous. Maybe it has, but volume is volume, and you can certainly wreck yourself with cans.

I've been DJing with the 280HD's for a few years now, I love the quality as well as the tight fit around my ears. They do come very tight so you have to give them a moment to loosen up. Over all i love'em and they have been great. moving onto my 3rd pair now!

Been using the Ultrasone 780 for a few weeks now (I think I just hit the 40hr mark)...and gotta say...one of the best investments I've ever made.

Listening to idm through the mbp (no amp) and it sounds so good.

It does get a little sweaty, but you forget it's on your head when you're working.

Edited by hyp3

Probably not ideal for home/studio use, but if you're freelancing around and want something light and very durable, check out the Sennheiser HD25-SP's. A laptop and wacom get heavy quickly and you want to be able to stuff your cans away without worrying about them getting bashed in your bag. The 25's cones pull off the band really easily so they almost 'fold flat' and you can get replacement muffs / cables.

I have different sets for different purposes. For sound work, I have a pair of Beyers and a pair of AKGs, but they both run a few hundred.

But that's not what I listen to when I'm listen to music for fun. They are very accurate and very flat. That's great for monitoring, but I actually like a bit of punch when I'm listen for fun. I've been a big fan of Grado Headphones for years. In my opinion, the best value out there.

And I have a pair of Audio-Technica Quiet Point noise cancelling headphones. Cheaper than the Bose v3 and sound much better (I'm curious about someone's comments that the v3 were a big step backward from the v2).

An update on the HFI 780 after a month of use.

Damn. Good. Indeed. These things are sexy. Especially for electronic music.

Just a heads up to Binky, I talked to Ultrasone and asked them about the tight fit and they said you can bend the top band outwards because it has metal inside so it will bend. I did it and it's really comfy now.

I've been using the Sony MDR-F1 set for some time now, and have grown to love them. When I originally got them i could have sworn that they were missing a little bit of volume in the upper timbres, but i slowly realized it was just that they were quite level as compared to the Shure se-110s that they replaced. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try.

Binks have you used these on your Ultrasone's?

About to get them, the faux leather sweats like a mofo.

Amazing headphones btw.

Still love the headphones. Lovely inside and out. Don't really have a problem with the pads cuz any time they get hot/sweaty I take it as a reminder to get up and walk around.

Tangentially, for $140, the M-Audio AV 40 is awesome if you have your own space.

Shure SRH840 Pro Reference Headphones, Closed-Back

Suggested retail $199 I got them at j&r for around $125.

Usually listen to my 580's but these are great when you need a closed back..

mdr

Still love the headphones. Lovely inside and out. Don't really have a problem with the pads cuz any time they get hot/sweaty I take it as a reminder to get up and walk around.

Tangentially, for $140, the M-Audio AV 40 is awesome if you have your own space.

I feel bad for scratching them, but then again, I have OCD. My ears still hurt a bit, even if I have small ears.

I do have the KRK RoKit 5, but nothing beats a headphone and I don't want to bother the people next to me.

Once I get the pads, I will post the results. You might want it too.

:H

Just an update on the pads...

Best 18$ I've spent in a long time!

So easy to put on. Incredible comfort. The quality is beautiful on these headphones but the pads always pissed me off, but now this thing is perfect. As comfy as an open headphone.

Put it to use for 12 hours and didn't even feel like its there.

I highly recommend it Binky. Music is an integral part of what we do and it should be comfortable.

B&H has them in stock by the way.

Edited by pix3l