Sign in to follow this  
swaggerStudios

3d Organic Text Swing Animation

Hey folks I'm working on something right now where I'm trying to animate text per character so that it swings in as if hanging from the wires like individuals signs hanging and blowing in the wind. I want the text to swing down from on top of the wires and slowly settle into place hanging underneath the wires. Any idea or resources on how I can get this to work and make it look organic. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hey folks I'm working on something right now where I'm trying to animate text per character so that it swings in as if hanging from the wires like individuals signs hanging and blowing in the wind. I want the text to swing down from on top of the wires and slowly settle into place hanging underneath the wires. Any idea or resources on how I can get this to work and make it look organic. Any advice is much appreciated.

You can download CSTools (in my sig). Check the examples folder, you'll see the bouncy text example using CS_Springnull. See if that works for you.

I actually posted a QT of what it does HERE.

Edited by C.Smith

Using dynamics, add a constraint between the text and a dummy object. Hide the dummy object from the render and you should have freely swinging text based on the constraint settings you applied. Apply wind or whatever force you see fit for your scene, animate only the dummy object / null object for the gliding down portion.

I am actually trying to simulate the same thing and having a bear of a time. I have a text object with constrained to fall and stop at a certain height. I have then made ropes with hair tag spline dynamics and constraints as in the base 80 thing. Still no luck . . .. The desired result is as if the text was falling down attached to bungie cords and then bouncing to a stop. If anyone has experience with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I probably should have been more specific with my questions. These are all good ways to go about it (god knows there's a million different way to do everything). Basically what I have right now is text in After Effects animated to rotate down around a wire with per character 3d text enabled. The text rotates then swings back and forth a couple of times until it stops. I can seem to get it so that each character falls one after the other so each individual character takes on the same animation as the text does as whole right now.