Sign in to follow this  
Carey

TR2N

why would they take something like the lightcycle thingees and make them behave like normal, real world motorcycles? and why do they sound like they have gasoline-powered engines? instead of a different, alien world, it's now just the real world with electro night club sets in blacklight. a clear indicator it's gonna suck, or be lackluster at best.

oh wait, there's a really rubbery fake looking cgi young jeff bridges. i guess that changes everything. the studio system at present configuration is just flat out incapable of producing anything at the scale and innovation of the first tron. this movie is gonna be nothing but a bunch of fast vehicles and dream weapons to pander to the masculinity fantasies of teenage boys. maybe there'll be a vin diesel cameo (nine exclamation marks)

but kudos to them for taking a recurring vfx fail of having internally-lit actor faces inserted into cgi helmeted bodies and using it as an interesting style instead. and also for, by the looks of his tron-equivalent-of-malibu house, making jeff bridges the phil spector of tronland.

Edited by jaan

you can go one step bigger if it please you, which it does me.

http://www.flynnlives.com/media/video/0xendgame.aspx

why would they take something like the lightcycle thingees and make them behave like normal, real world motorcycles? and why do they sound like they have gasoline-powered engines? instead of a different, alien world, it's now just the real world with electro night club sets in blacklight. a clear indicator it's gonna suck, or be lackluster at best.

Pretty much agree on all counts.

However, this whole "concept test" is exactly that, remember. Just something put together to sell the potential to the Disney execs. So there's still wiggle room. And that's an optimistic stance, but i'll be a squealing little girl until the day it comes out and i sit there in tears of disappointment. The claim is that there will be some major innovations in the film, but that's likely marketing crap. The only way this thing turns out well is if the world of Tron is just an appropriate container for a whole new thing that someone's been hugely inspired to do.

you people and your ninety degree turns... the original movie had 90 degree turns in reference to an ancient arcade game, plus they didn't have the technology to do anything else vfx wise.

now that they can turn in any direction, the potential for increasingly complex maneuvers is huge! which is clearly evidenced in the test. the same mechanics are at play re: slamming another dude in your light wall. it's simply done in a more nuanced way.

i'm super excited for this. i think it's going to have a lot more love put into it then another vin diesel stamped out copy. the fact that they have daft punk doing the soundtrack is a very good sign.

i think it's going to have a lot more love put into it then another vin diesel stamped out copy.

Vin Diesel did a Tron movie?!?! OMG I'd pay to see that! :P

Yeah this seems like it's gonna suck big ass.

It happens when you hire a director like Joseph Kosinski who's only strength is sleek CG eye-candy without any substance.

He probably thinks Daft Punk is so hip.

And I agree with Jaan this adds nothing to the innovation the first Tron was all about. Just another way for the studios to cash in. Instead of coming up with new ideas they recycle old titles.

Guest Sao_Bento

but kudos to them for taking a recurring vfx fail of having internally-lit actor faces inserted into cgi helmeted bodies and using it as an interesting style instead. and also for, by the looks of his tron-equivalent-of-malibu house, making jeff bridges the phil spector of tronland.

They've achieved the nearly unachievable level of making something that is supposed to be completely stylized look phony.

They've achieved the nearly unachievable level of making something that is supposed to be completely stylized look phony.

you mean like Aeon, Ultra Violet, Transformers

I forgive you all for being so wrong. The nerdy joy that this film's release in 1-2 years will illicit will be enough to silence all dissent.

I'm with you, I've had an erection so straight, it's reminiscent of the old light cycle path since I saw the hd trailer. BTW that rubbery faced jeff bridges, is actually the dude up in the apartment....Thats just some other kid.

hey zebrownie, don't copy paste my comments from this site onto motionographer. okcool,kthxbai.

btw, i'd appreciate it if you'd remove my name and/or the entire quote from that motionographer comment thread. i have no interest in being your unintentional wingman troll.

Edited by jaan

Cough, Tron sucked, cough cough.

Sorry guys. Maybe if I'd been alive when it came out I would be all nostalgic for it.

If you are going to bust our balls, at least come up with something witty. I guess you'll be sitting around waiting for Wedding Crashers 2 in 20 years.