Sign in to follow this  
laughingcolors

Favorite Fonts?

94166539px6.jpg

..because it needs to be used in motion more and it says:

"Im unique, but then again you see me on every single store sign selling ethnic goods, rugs, plants, hippie stuff and new age stuff."

On a serious note...I do use Helvetica a lot. Im also a fan of Futura in Black. Big and Bold, squished together.

Guest Sao_Bento

It's kind of a weird question because motion graphics probably has the loosest requirements for typography of any design medium because the goals are so different from print or the web. Traditional typography is interested in being able to arrange information in a hierarchy and make large bodies of text as legible as possible. For motion graphics, this probably the exception rather than the rule because you have other ways to accomplish the same tasks (time/audio). For something like a book, it doesn't matter what the subject is, the copy is still going to be set in one of a handful of typefaces, because the goal is for it to be read. With motion graphics, reading something on the screen is a terribly inefficient way to convey information. The goal is usually to create a less tangible, more emotional impression of the character of the subject as the result of the total combined use of time, imagery, graphics, and audio.

Personally, I still stick to the classics like Trade Gothic, Avenir, Bell Gothic, Din Schrift, Akzidenz, Helvetica Neue, Clarendon, Franklin Gothic, and maybe the occasional Gil Sans or even Trajan (think about it). The newer stuff like Gotham and Knockout are nice too. t26 has some nice faces if you're doing a video game or cell phone. For show logos, etc. I'd prefer to draw an original version rather than just typing something out.

Guest Sao_Bento
every movie trailer uses trajan , and more than likely, in gold text.

It has small caps, which makes it hold up a little better for some things.

sod9.jpg

bcn04.jpg

cogp5.jpg

geisha_logo.jpg

ai_logo.jpg

Personally, I still stick to the classics like Trade Gothic, Avenir, Bell Gothic, Din Schrift, Akzidenz, Helvetica Neue, Clarendon, Franklin Gothic, and maybe the occasional Gil Sans or even Trajan (think about it).

I'm with Sao for the most part. For a long time my go to was the Univers family. It's super flexible and has a ton of weights.

Hummmm I think Creampuff and Alba Super are very good for Retro Design.....

I feel like these are a bit played out, but then again I think retro style in general has been played out. Though if you're into Creampuff, you should look at Eclat. It's similar, but has some modified characters that look a little better IMHO.

I second Javier G: din and filosophia are good, and you can't go wrong with Univers and Akzidenz for sans. Since I work primarily for the financial services industry these days, I end up using Wachovia FG and Wachovia Celeste a bunch.