Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

Repeating shapes along paths

I expect this has been covered before, but I'm not quite sure what to search for.

I want to make a single shape repeat along a path like an illustrator brush

Picture2-1.png

So the arrows and dots in this picture would 'grow' eg. a new one would appear every so often. I need to animate the 'end' of the line like you can with 3D Stroke. Ideally I'd also be able to keyframe the path itself. I think I know how to do it in C4D but funnily I've never had to do this in AE before and 2D is all I need. Is there a certain way thats recommended?

Currently I'm thinking about Path Text effect with a custom font. But that limits me to shapes with one fill and stroke, and maximum 1024 shapes...

Edited by Steven Kirby

I expect this has been covered before, but I'm not quite sure what to search for.

I want to make a single shape repeat along a path like an illustrator brush

Picture2-1.png

So the arrows and dots in this picture would 'grow' eg. a new one would appear every so often. I need to animate the 'end' of the line like you can with 3D Stroke. Ideally I'd also be able to keyframe the path itself. I think I know how to do it in C4D but funnily I've never had to do this in AE before and 2D is all I need. Is there a certain way thats recommended?

Currently I'm thinking about Path Text effect with a custom font. But that limits me to shapes with one fill and stroke, and maximum 1024 shapes...

Trapcode Particular maybe... using velocity Zero, live for ever, using custom particles with a vector shape on a layer. Then animate the emitter. I think you should

should try diferent numbers on the particle num according to the speed of the movement so that particles don't overlap.

this is my guess.

best

Ricardo

Trapcode Particular maybe... using velocity Zero, live for ever, using custom particles with a vector shape on a layer. Then animate the emitter. I think you should

should try diferent numbers on the particle num according to the speed of the movement so that particles don't overlap.

this is my guess.

best

Ricardo

different approach:

just animate a single shape, precomp and use echo on this layer.

or maybe in some rare cases you can get along with the repeater option of shape layers

All the shapes that you showed exist as character glyphs.

So, just create text on a path using the glyph you want, then use a text animator to reveal the characters.

You can even make this work in 3D with AE CS3's per char text animators.

in Cinema 4d with mograph module...it's super easy....just use a cloner with the spline effector

hope this helps

edit: sorry I didn't see that you already knew how in c4d

Edited by este.eri

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll get most of it done with Adolfo's technique, dunno why I thought of path text effect instead of that... Don't think I'll need more than regular fill and stroke options now anyway.

The particular emitter method would have worked except that the distribution needs to be really constant and with changes in speed I'd need some sort of expression linking speed of motion with Particles/sec and even then I doubt it would be completely smooth. But for more scattered symbols that would probably work well. Echo would be good for complex animated symbols but what with the cam movement in this would need a massive precomp and is overkill. Good tip for future reference though.

Thanks again

Steven: As soon as I saw this thread, I went and prepared an example of spaying shapes in 2D/3D with text animators for you. Making it was very quick and simple. Uploading it and posting it here to share it with you here turned out to be so complicated, that I gave up :(