Sign in to follow this  
viana

Houdini on the mac

I have noticed that Houdini is now available on a mac. I've been using C4d for a while but i lack

some of the dynamics stuff available on other platforms like Maya or so..

I was looking at the features that this software provides but i'm not sure about the performance

on the mac since it is the first version.

http://www.sidefx.com/

Does anyone here tried it or using it for professional use?

what do you have to say about it?

best

Ricardo

Guest Sao_Bento

I don't have first hand experience with it, but I always hear it described as a very specialized tool. Not easy to learn, but very capable for those who spend the time. For a motion graphics person who plans to continue working in motion graphics, I'd say that it's probably not the best investment of your time and learning - If you're looking to get into programming particle effects, etc., give it a look.

Trivia: Renato Tarabella, developer of a bunch of great C4D plug-ins was/is a Houdini developer.

I gave it a whirl on the PC and found it fascinating, deep and powerfull. Unfortunately it did turn out to not be very stable for me. Somehow the installation "degraded" over time with the help going first and leaving me with a useless wreck after a week.

That was one of the public betas a few months ago, hopefully they have gotten that fixe din the meantime.

It's definitely known more as a dynamic simulation / particle / VFX tool, but they've really branched out recently to try to break into other markets.

Their latest release features a "new, more user friendly UI" and they've been outreaching to educational institutions to provide training to students (through internships) and staff (through courses offered). They've also really gotten on the ball with some of the instructional materials, including video tutorials, on their website.

I don't see it becoming a mainstream motion graphics tool overnight, but they're making steps in the right direction.

I have it loaded and have been messing a round with it. Seems to hang and crash alot. I also am having troubles getting my Microsoft Mouse to work right with it. I have been a c4d guys for years but Houdini's CHOP and VEX stuff sounds crazy.

Edited by pixel_pimp

Sidefx just released the new Houdini reel.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=308

although it leaves out some of its more prominent uses (the meteor in 'Armageddon', including the gases and fragments, etc, as well as many other big-name shows) it shows its real strengths: organic systems, particles and dynamics.

Edited by misanthrope.

I would be inclined to say that it's probably overkill for what you are trying to do at this stage. I messed with it a bit a few years ago and found the learning curve to be a bit to steep for me to find value in it. Gotta look at the ROI. You are going to spend years learning Houdini especially coming from a C4D background (no offense) and for what? To make some objects collide? Maya is available on mac it's got better dynamics than cinema- I'd look into that.