Sign in to follow this  
Carey

out of focus / compound blur

Follow the steps and answer the question below in the space provided (5 points):

step 1) Make a cube in c4d

step 2) Make a camera and turn on front and rear blur in the "depth" tab

step 3) Render an RGB and a Depth pass

step 4) Importing both into AE, apply EITHER compound blur OR frischluft out of focus to the RGB layer

step 5) Use the depth pass layer as a reference layer for the plugin

step 6) Perceive that the result looks like shit*.

*Shit, in this case, is defined as a cube where the hard edges are mostly retained, while a smoky halo is generated.

Question: You'd like the cube to appear as though it is out of focus, but instead it looks like shit*. How have you come to be so retarded that in using a plugin called "out of focus", you consistently FAIL to make an object look out of focus? (You may assume some level of technical incompetence is involved)

Zblur

Yes, or use levels on the grayscale depth map.

Depth is "raw" depth, not a DOF-like behavior. You can fine tune it with gamma correction on levels. You can use levels as if you were setting the aperture in a camera.

And if you can afford the render times and have some time to set it right, Lens Blur is amazing.

I don't have zblur, and I'd like to be able to deal with this in after effects. I can conceive of this being impossible for certain reasons, but it also seems to me that people have said it can be done. Here's a sample depth render in c4d.

test_depth.jpg

using the same steps outlined above, here's what i get as usual, now using the "lens blur" plugin. (note: there are no alpha channels or anything complicated going on)

lensblur.jpg

am I doing something wrong, or is it just an impossible thing to ask?

I can tell you I have fucked with that every which way till Sunday in the past. There are 2 solutions: Zblur (as mentioned) or Lenscare. Lenscare does this seamlessly. Use the same depth pass you just showed us and download the lenscare demo and use that with it. You'll see the difference.

I can tell you I have fucked with that every which way till Sunday in the past. There are 2 solutions: Zblur (as mentioned) or Lenscare. Lenscare does this seamlessly. Use the same depth pass you just showed us and download the lenscare demo and use that with it. You'll see the difference.

Ditto.

Also - couple of things to note. Turning on front and rear blur will give you a small depth of field, meaning stuff will blur in back and in front of your specified region. It's usually easier to do one or the other and then decide where you want the blur in post.

Second, white will be in focus, and black out of focus. Your pass that you posted will not have anything in focus, so you'll have to precomp and adjust it up if you want the FG cube to be in focus. Zblur gives you some great functionality for setting up your passes in a more intuitive way.

If you search at CG Talk AdamT did a quickie tutorial on how to set-up Depth passes in cinema 4D a while back.

-Chris