Sign in to follow this  
spirozero

Adobe CS4

Guest Sao_Bento
I run XP Pro on my new Mac Pro so that I can handle administrative stuff...our shop runs on an MS Exchange server, so I have to have Office. Office for Mac don't work right, so I got Parallels and run XP Pro in a window. Then they promptly removed my administrative computer. I don't miss it.

One thing I haven't tried yet is running multiple copies of AE in OSX. Hm...

Cf

I do the same thing regarding Parallels and XP (and even for the same reason). I'd be more willing to consider going the Bootcamp route if more software had the licensing flexibility to run under either OS. It would also make me more prone to drop cash on some of the more powerful PC only applications.

As far as multiple copies of AE, you just need to enable multiple processors in the prefs and it does the rest by itself (talking CS3 here). You need to have 2 GB of RAM per copy to get the most out of it. The trick is to benefit from multiprocessing while not bringing your machine to a total halt for everything else. Lloyd Alvarez aka Milkshake wrote a script that allows you to specify how many copies of itself AE will run in the background:

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtop...aded&start=

The bad news is that you need at least 18GB of RAM to get the most out of an octo-core mac (2GB X 8 + 2GB for OS/QT). Given that the new Intel chips have 6 cores, it's time to buy stock in RAM companies.

Guest Sao_Bento

Okay, I've spent a weekend with the CS4 Production Premium bundle. I have to say that there is a lot to like. Not really major paradigm changes, but lots of little things that add up. I gave up on trying to get my Red Giant plugs to install into the correct place in CS4, but other than that, it seems pretty smooth. I didn't do any heavy lifting with any of it, but it seems fast and generally stable.

One of the things you get as a prize for registering your software is a free month of Lynda.com. I used the trial to catch up on the new stuff in the CS4 apps and check out some of the other stuff they've got over there.

I love the characterization of the new AE Cartoon filter as "all those old, bad photoshop filters combined into one".

I also downloaded the Google Warehouse plug-in and grabbed some stuff to test out the new 3D stuff in Photoshop. It was pretty responsive in there. I can see times where it would be useful. Bringing the document with the live 3D layer into AE was not so good. Click - drag - window updates 15 seconds later (even at 1/4 res). Ouch.

Guest Sao_Bento
i hope CS4 has something in the format that allows Illustrator files to be imported into C4d without having to save down to Ole version 8.

No it doesn't. Illustrator 8 was the last format based on .eps. Beginning with Illustrator 9, the Illustrator file format is built around PDF. As froj said, it's Maxon's responsibility to keep up, or to work with adobe to create a "Save for Cinema 4D" option, like they have a "Save for Microsoft Office". "Save for Microsoft Office" just makes a PNG with transparency. "Save for C4D" could just automatically generate an Illustrator 8 file without making you go through all the dialogs.

has the BS audio editing been adressed? i.e. the 'locking existing frames' nonsense?

It's harder now to preview audio than ver 7. wtf

And before you flame me, I'm talking about playing au-di-o.

Guest Sao_Bento
has the BS audio editing been adressed? i.e. the 'locking existing frames' nonsense?

It's harder now to preview audio than ver 7. wtf

And before you flame me, I'm talking about playing au-di-o.

If you'll be more specific, I can check it out on my system. Are you talking about AE?

If you'll be more specific, I can check it out on my system. Are you talking about AE?

Yeah, sry, AE CS3.

Starting to think it might just be where I'm working, but I've had this issue before.

When I preview with audio, it takes eons and displays 'Locking Existing Frames'.

My only recourse is too truncate the preview area to minimize the time, or turn off audio in the preview altogether.

It's driving me batty.

Cache setting are 120/60, on an 8 core 3.2 with 6GB RAM

No it doesn't. Illustrator 8 was the last format based on .eps. Beginning with Illustrator 9, the Illustrator file format is built around PDF. As froj said, it's Maxon's responsibility to keep up, or to work with adobe to create a "Save for Cinema 4D" option, like they have a "Save for Microsoft Office". "Save for Microsoft Office" just makes a PNG with transparency. "Save for C4D" could just automatically generate an Illustrator 8 file without making you go through all the dialogs.

That would be worth paying for the upgrade.

Okay, I've spent a weekend with the CS4 Production Premium bundle. I have to say that there is a lot to like. Not really major paradigm changes, but lots of little things that add up. I gave up on trying to get my Red Giant plugs to install into the correct place in CS4, but other than that, it seems pretty smooth. I didn't do any heavy lifting with any of it, but it seems fast and generally stable.

One of the things you get as a prize for registering your software is a free month of Lynda.com. I used the trial to catch up on the new stuff in the CS4 apps and check out some of the other stuff they've got over there.

I love the characterization of the new AE Cartoon filter as "all those old, bad photoshop filters combined into one".

I also downloaded the Google Warehouse plug-in and grabbed some stuff to test out the new 3D stuff in Photoshop. It was pretty responsive in there. I can see times where it would be useful. Bringing the document with the live 3D layer into AE was not so good. Click - drag - window updates 15 seconds later (even at 1/4 res). Ouch.

What have you done with Sao_Bento?

Edit: Upon looking at Adobe's site, wtf is an "Adobe Evangelist?" :lol:

Edited by Firebetty

Guest Sao_Bento
What have you done with Sao_Bento?

Edit: Upon looking at Adobe's site, wtf is an "Adobe Evangelist?" :lol:

I'm hoping god only reads this thread and not the Joe the Plumber one.

An Adobe Evangelist is a person who says good things about Adobe for pay (and no- I'm not)

I'm proud to say that I'm not a beta tester for any company, I don't get any free stuff, and I actually pay for my software.

Bringing the document with the live 3D layer into AE was not so good. Click - drag - window updates 15 seconds later (even at 1/4 res). Ouch.

Anyone else tried the 3D integration? What are your thoughts?

Sao - have you figured out a way to speed it up? Was it a heavy model? I'm really curious cause I might update soon to take advantage of this feature. But if it's shit then I'll pass.

Sao - have you figured out a way to speed it up? Was it a heavy model? I'm really curious cause I might update soon to take advantage of this feature. But if it's shit then I'll pass.

I haven't found it useful for anything with any kind of complexity. It's not so bad when I create 3D text in C4D and export it.

Guest Sao_Bento

I was using a pretty simple textured model of a building from Google 3D Warehouse. As I said, in Photoshop, manipulating it (rotating, scaling, positioning) was quick and simple. In AE it was dog slow. Maybe it's my OpenGL card or my machine configuration, but it wasn't a good experience.

Seeing as they're charging so much more for this in Europe than in the US*, this isn't selling the upgrade to me . . .

* For those interested, here's Adobe's reason why as communicated to me in an email: In the European Union, by contrast, we must support 4 major currencies, diverse regional market situations, and 14 major languages. The costs of doing business in the European market are significantly higher per unit of revenue earned than they are in North America, which is reflected in the pricing for those markets.

Basically, you pay a premium for not being American. Woof!

Guest Sao_Bento
Seeing as they're charging so much more for this in Europe than in the US*, this isn't selling the upgrade to me . . .

* For those interested, here's Adobe's reason why as communicated to me in an email: In the European Union, by contrast, we must support 4 major currencies, diverse regional market situations, and 14 major languages. The costs of doing business in the European market are significantly higher per unit of revenue earned than they are in North America, which is reflected in the pricing for those markets.

Basically, you pay a premium for not being American. Woof!

Yeah, I don't get that. It seems like, from a business perspective, you're really encouraging people to pirate with that kind of approach.

Yeah, I don't get that. It seems like, from a business perspective, you're really encouraging people to pirate with that kind of approach.

Well, the whole email makes for interesting reading as they attempt to justify their European and download pricing policy (downloads actually cost more than having the box shipped). I'm happy to post the full reply but I don't want to upset the admins, and I'm not sure it's appropriate (although I'm not to bothered what Adobe may think, Todd excepted ;) ).

I made my own mind up when I started working for myself that I wouldn't pirate any software and I'll end up having to buy this upgrade as my customers upgrading will make it imperative, but in the mean time I'll think I'll get Call of Duty 4 with the money instead. I was going for the full Master Collection but sod that; I might even skip an upgrade seeing as I'll pay a premium anyway.

The joys of being a sole trader in the UK under the VAT threshold :blink:

Guest Sao_Bento
Well, the whole email makes for interesting reading as they attempt to justify their European and download pricing policy (downloads actually cost more than having the box shipped). I'm happy to post the full reply but I don't want to upset the admins, and I'm not sure it's appropriate (although I'm not to bothered what Adobe may think, Todd excepted ;) ).

I made my own mind up when I started working for myself that I wouldn't pirate any software and I'll end up having to buy this upgrade as my customers upgrading will make it imperative, but in the mean time I'll think I'll get Call of Duty 4 with the money instead. I was going for the full Master Collection but sod that; I might even skip an upgrade seeing as I'll pay a premium anyway.

Why would they want to guard that information? I'm not the admin, but I'm a admin, and I say "go for it".

Why would they want to guard that information? I'm not the admin, but I'm a admin, and I say "go for it".

Here it is then, although I think it's worth putting it into some context. I wrote to Adobe to question the pricing of their products after the CS4 announcement after erroneously trying to upgrade via the US store (which is the default URL). When I went to place my order at the UK store I was more than a little taken aback at the disparity in price.

Eventually I received this reply (I know the punctuation's fooked - it's how it came):

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Services.

In today?s connected world, an increasing number of customers are comparing prices Internationally, with the expectation of a single, global price. True global pricing is a rarity across all product categories because of the number of variables?from currency fluctuations to local market conditions?that businesses must consider.

Pricing for many goods, not just software, is higher in Europe for a number of reasons. At Adobe, we factor customer research, local market conditions, and the cost of doing business into our retail, upgrade, and volume prices. For example, in a large homogenous market like North America, we can achieve certain economies of scale that affect pricing.

In the European Union, by contrast, we must support 4 major currencies, diverse regional market situations, and 14 major languages. The costs of doing business in the European market are significantly higher per unit of revenue earned than they are in North America, which is reflected in the pricing for those markets.

Here are some concrete examples of factors that make costs higher in Europe compared to North America.

It costs Adobe 5 times more to manufacture and manage inventory in Europe because:

*We must maintain different sku?s for each language version to support different labeling requirements, support information, and sales requirements.

*We maintain smaller quantities per language, in keeping with market sizes, which increases costs for printing, inventory management, and inventory disposal.

*The costs associated with our value-added reseller channels are 25% higher.

*We maintain 2.5 times as many field marketing employees in Europe as in North America to support our creative business at a certain level of quality across local markets. However, the revenue per employee is smaller, so the overall costs per unit of revenue is 4:1 in Europe compared to North America.

*Variable marketing expenses are 46% higher.

*Development costs are approximately $2.5?$3 million per language for each of the 14 languages Adobe Creative Suite supports.

*We cannot provide specific numbers, but these percentages and multiples capture real differences.

It?s natural to compare pricing and pricing uplift across similar companies, but in this case, the comparison can be deceptive. The value of different products to customers?and the costto companies to develop, sell, and support those products?can vary significantly from product to product, and manufacturer to manufacturer. Adobe does not develop our pricing for Europe or the rest of world by simply applying an uplift to the US pricing. As stated earlier, we develop our pricing by weighing customer research and our costs of doing business. We can?t comment on the methods that other companies use to set their prices for Europe and the rest of world.

It?s understandable why customers would expect to be able to purchase the same product at the same price when ordering and downloading directly from the Adobe Web site at www.adobe.com. Today, however, we still sell the majority of our products through traditional retail channels, and we optimize our pricing for that way of doing business. We depend on our retail partners in local markets to help us reach as many customers as possible, and we have a policy of not undercutting them on price. In addition, the Creative Suite 3 applications are large and require significant time to download. For many customers, online downloads will not serve as a reasonable purchase option for some time. However, as bandwidth increases and customer expectations change, we?ll need to investigate ways to optimize our pricing for this approach.

Furthermore, some higher regional costs will remain regardless of the method of purchase. For example, customers will still read about our products through local press to whom we reach out; they will meet local Adobe sales people who conduct seminars, participate in user groups, and visit large customers; and they will rely on support resources that Adobe makes available in these markets. All of these efforts impact the business costs of securing the sale, whether that sale is delivered online or in a box. However, we always take customer feedback seriously, and we?ll be considering customer input as we explore ways to adjust our pricing in the future. Any such changes would take considerable investigation and analysis, so we do not plan to modify our pricing approach for the Creative Suite 3 products.

Adobe does not directly sell North American versions of its creative products to European or other customers. For example, the Adobe website in North America (www.adobe.com) only accepts credit cards with North American billing addresses. We limit online purchase this way to support local resellers in Europe and other regions who do not have access to the same pricing.

However, nothing prevents European customers from purchasing North American

products from other distribution channels. Should you decide to do this, please keep the following in mind:

? You must pay the correct import duties and local taxes to maintain legal software.

? You should be careful about buying from a reputable source to ensure that you receive appropriate

software.

? You will not be eligible for support for the product. Your serial number maps to the region in which you purchased the software and determines your support eligibility. European customers who purchase North American versions may not use those serial numbers to receive support in Europe, nor are they eligible for support in the United States. Under certain circumstances, you may be able to convert a North American serial number to a European serial number to receive local support: If you can demonstrate that you purchased the product while living in North America and are now moving back to Europe (this requires a proof of purchase and a proof of residency, such as a Visa or a photocopy of a North American driver?s license).

If you meet either criteria, you can then be issued a new European serial number that will enable you to get support locally in Europe.

We hope this answers all of your questions.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours Sincerely,

Adobe Customer Service

Tel: (UK) 02073650733

Tel: (Eire) 012421552

Fax: 0031 20 5820800

Having never brought a North American version I have no idea of it's single-language only or whether give the large number of languages spoken in the US other languages could be installed.

The reason for downloads being so expensive is complete crap of the highest order; nice of Adobe to think all their customers are so stupid to believe this excuse. I'll worry about how to download my software - the Gnomon tutorials come down just dandy :angry: The US download is $599, or £367.50. The UK download price is £623.15 (box £605.12 - :blink: ) or $986.28.

Edited by zook

nothing to stop you being VAT registered - saves me 17.5 percent on all purchases, and all my clients expect me to charge VAT anyway. My accountant needs me to enter all expenditures in a spreadsheet, just means I do it quarterly rather than yearly.

Guest Sao_Bento

Arrrggggghhhhhhh. Photoshop CS4 Extended was really crashy today. It's been a long time since I lost work due to a crash. Crashing on stuff like trying to rename a layer, trying to use the gaussian blur filter, all on 72 dpi 1024X768.

Arrrggggghhhhhhh. Photoshop CS4 Extended was really crashy today. It's been a long time since I lost work due to a crash. Crashing on stuff like trying to rename a layer, trying to use the gaussian blur filter, all on 72 dpi 1024X768.

I guess I'm gonna stick with CS3 for a while and go for the C4D upgrade instead. <_<

Guest Sao_Bento

On the upside - if you use a tablet, you'll really love the ability to rotate the canvas. Drawing with the pen tool and working with paths in general seems much smoother, which is nice. The Masks palette and tools are pretty useful. Like I said - there are a lot of little things that are pretty cool. The downside might be going back to working with my fingers on command+S and saving after every single change - like the Media 100 days.