Sign in to follow this  
spirozero

Adobe CS4

On the upside - if you use a tablet, you'll really love the ability to rotate the canvas. Drawing with the pen tool and working with paths in general seems much smoother, which is nice. The Masks palette and tools are pretty useful. Like I said - there are a lot of little things that are pretty cool. The downside might be going back to working with my fingers on command+S and saving after every single change - like the Media 100 days.

dang, another blast from the past.

So this peaked my interest. Why would you have to save repeatedly?

Guest Sao_Bento
dang, another blast from the past.

So this peaked my interest. Why would you have to save repeatedly?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a lot of problems with Photoshop crashing yesterday - to the extent that I lost work a couple of times.

I guess I'm gonna stick with CS3 for a while and go for the C4D upgrade instead. <_<

Which upgrade is significantly going to change your work?

C4D R11? (for non-Vray users) Useable GI for animation

CS4? Photoshop 3D objects

I am afraid my money has gone to Maxon only so far.

Which upgrade is significantly going to change your work?

C4D R11? (for non-Vray users) Useable GI for animation

CS4? Photoshop 3D objects

I am afraid my money has gone to Maxon only so far.

To that end, (OT) is vray ever going any further for mac? Anyone know its latest status?

Guest Sao_Bento

Today's wacky CS4 experiences: Photoshop - pasting something from illustrator as pixels, transform doesn't want to work right- can't scale, it sticks on rotate. For some reason the brush is somehow offset from the cursor. Really wacky palette behaviors - although that is probably on purpose.

On a positive note, I like the grid display when you zoom in to the level of individual pixels.

AE CS4 - Trying to install plug-ins - turns out you have to go to Red Giant and get new SNs for Particular, Lux, Echospace. Luckily they turn it around almost instantly.

? You will not be eligible for support for the product. Your serial number maps to the region in which you purchased the software and determines your support eligibility. European customers who purchase North American versions may not use those serial numbers to receive support in Europe, nor are they eligible for support in the United States.

Having never brought a North American version I have no idea of it's single-language only or whether give the large number of languages spoken in the US other languages could be installed.

The reason for downloads being so expensive is complete crap of the highest order; nice of Adobe to think all their customers are so stupid to believe this excuse. I'll worry about how to download my software - the Gnomon tutorials come down just dandy :angry: The US download is $599, or £367.50. The UK download price is £623.15 (box £605.12 - :blink: ) or $986.28.

I was considering asking a friend to bring me CS4 designpremium when she’s traveling from the US to Europe.

Now I’m not sure anymore, I remember when my hard disk crashed and Adobe had to reactivate Photoshop over the phone.

I guess I will be in the dark when this happens?

Robert

Guest Sao_Bento

Just an update on my ongoing CS4 Production Premium experiences.

WARNING

FYI, if you install CS4 on top of your CS3 install, you have to leave CS3 there. If you uninstall CS3, it uninstalls stuff that CS4 needs to work. I ended up re-installing CS4.

Adobe Media Encoder is extremely unpredictable, which is not a quality I look for in an encoding app. I was converting some QuickTimes to Photo JPEG QT's at 100% and what came out the other end looked like mpeg1 CBR. Blocky as hell. Don't miss the fly out checkbox menu that says "Use Maximum Render Quality" - you know - because most of the time you want your stuff to look like shit. It scares me that this is now a central part of all the Adobe video apps.

Premiere "Pro" Unusably crashy at first, then fine, then crashy again. I tried again just before I posted this, and it worked fine again. I was always creating new projects, always using the same source files, yet getting a different reaction from the software each time. I had to resort to installing FCP to get the first project done. When capturing HDV from my Canon HV20, Premiere can't preview the video input on the computer monitor, only on the camera. Not really a make or break feature, but FCP can do it - I wonder why Premiere can't? It's been re-written from the ground up (wink, wink). Another issue is that the captures from Premiere (.mpeg) don't seem to work with third party apps. Great business strategy for Adobe, bad for everyone who likes to have other tools in their workflow. Usually, I capture the video from the camera at 1080i, then use JES Deinterlacer to correctly reassemble the fields into 24 progressive frames per second while transcoding to Photo JPEG .mov files. The files from Premiere crash JES Deinterlacer every time. I was able to type "23.976" into the fps field in Adobe Media Encoder, but I'd feel a lot better if it somehow specifically mentioned reverse telecine. I transcoded a Premiere capture into ProRes HQ and had a look at it in AE. It seems like AME did it correctly, but I feel like the quality looks degraded. After the way it did the Photo JPEG, I guess I'm a little gun shy. I'll try to set up a head-to-head test to get a definite answer.

Photoshop Extended - pretty solid so far. The 3D is usable for the kinds of things where you only need draft quality - like putting buildings in the background of a matte painting or something. As I mentioned before, don't even bother trying to work with PS 3D layers in AE. There is the weird thing where the brush tip gets offset from the cursor every now and then - that's a bad thing. The new curves option, where you click on the color you want to adjust is very cool, as is the canvas rotation.

Illustrator - Illustrator has been so neglected, it's hard not to make it better. The gradient tool is much improved. Things like "offset path" now have a preview. The smart guides are smarter, and turned on by default. Seems like a solid upgrade.

Flash - Flash has gotten a lot better. It still has all the fundamental flaws that are it's foundation (timelines that don't represent time, etc), but it's much more usable now.

After Effects - Aside from the glitch related to third party filters installing in the wrong place, AE has been totally solid and fast. The UI changes don't bother me a bit. Good deal.

On Location - haven't tried it yet.

Soundbooth - Did a little work with it - I'd say that I prefer Apple's Soundtrack personally.

Other general comments: ADOBE! - stop putting all those shitty fonts in my system. I didn't ask for them and I don't want them. At least make it optional.

Every time I quit an Adobe CS4 application it seems to close and quit fine, but the Crash Report Dialog Box pops up. It happens every single time, no matter what CS4 application I use. Kinda weird.

Just an update on my ongoing CS4 Production Premium experiences.

Adobe Media Encoder is extremely unpredictable, which is not a quality I look for in an encoding app. I was converting some QuickTimes to Photo JPEG QT's at 100% and what came out the other end looked like mpeg1 CBR. Blocky as hell. Don't miss the fly out checkbox menu that says "Use Maximum Render Quality" - you know - because most of the time you want your stuff to look like shit. It scares me that this is now a central part of all the Adobe video apps.

Initially I was really excited to have a batch encoding program, but this is a total waste. Here's just a few issues I had in my first two attempts to use Adobe Media Encoder:

- When I save a preset, it doesn't save the data rate, among other things. Super annoying.

- No 2-pass h.264 when you're using quicktime output

- Can't simply stretch video to fit when you're changing the aspect ratio (you have to use some ratio thingy that oddly only works with integers...)

- Like Sao said, most output looks assy, unless you check "use maximum render quality." Why is that even an option?

- Most of the presets are geared towards DV codecs...I haven't used DV in 5 years.

- I tried the clip notes output for grins, and thought the whole pdf thing was pretty wonky and hard to use.

This program is terrible. Swing and a miss Adobe! Looks like I'm back to using good old QT Pro.

Initially I was really excited to have a batch encoding program, but this is a total waste. Here's just a few issues I had in my first two attempts to use Adobe Media Encoder:

- When I save a preset, it doesn't save the data rate, among other things. Super annoying.

- No 2-pass h.264 when you're using quicktime output

- Can't simply stretch video to fit when you're changing the aspect ratio (you have to use some ratio thingy that oddly only works with integers...)

- Like Sao said, most output looks assy, unless you check "use maximum render quality." Why is that even an option?

- Most of the presets are geared towards DV codecs...I haven't used DV in 5 years.

- I tried the clip notes output for grins, and thought the whole pdf thing was pretty wonky and hard to use.

This program is terrible. Swing and a miss Adobe! Looks like I'm back to using good old QT Pro.

When I was using the Media Encoder with Premiere in CS3, it was a total disappointment. It would randomly add white frames to the end of SOME but not all of my encoded files. Sometimes I could just run the exact same settings on the same file and it would turn out ok.

What was worse, the Media Encoder is, to this day, the only thing that would make my computer kernel panic. About every 4th time or so, after starting an file to encode, I'd kernel panic. It got to the point where the Media Encoder was just causing me anxiety.

After I wrapped a couple jobs with it, I swore it off until it worked out the bugs. Doesn't sound like it has done that yet.