Sign in to follow this  
Guest bikeboy

BUSH OR KERRY?

Guest igorschmigor

The american election system is crazy. The fact that 900.000 people can have as much say as 9.000.000 people depending on where they live makes no sense at all.

I believe they're going to make a fool of themselves again anyway with their non-working punchhole-system.

I pray to god that Bush won't win. And i'm an atheist.

Guest parallax

Indeed, the system is a joke. In times of sending advisers to the Urkaine, i can't for the life of me understand why things are still that weird in the states. The UN should send some people to Florida to monitor the elections (i'm dead serious) In practice, there's a 2 party system, wich is crazy. Thats not a democracy, every party has the right to equel coverage, yet, they are just specks on the map.

How a few hicks in LOTS of small states can cancel out all the populous states (wich also happen to be coughing up the most dough) is beyond me. California are the motor of the US economy, and yet, their shear number means fuck-all during the election.

I wish you people good luck today, and hope for a non-Bush victory for the good of the US, and indeed, the rest of the world.

Guest MBX

why do you think the us (especially the republicans) rejects osze-supervisors?

so they can fool the people. the republicans make the democrat's voter's life in florida during the voting-process very difficult, especially for the afro-americans. i hope this time they (republicans) get no chance to manipulate election again.

it can't be that the election can be controlled & manipulated by either or party, this should be supervised by a neutral agency.

Guest SermonOfMockery

actually california's huge population means quite a bit in the election. if kerry somehow lost CA he would be fucked.

Guest MBX

these clips are so funny (i'm sure you know the link already): http://www.jibjab.com

there are also more, also a cool one is the cowboy hiphopper or the gansta's dancing broadway... (click on animation)

Guest parallax

Sermon,

Given the fact that California will go to Kerry(probably, and hopefully), isn't it so that the electors voting republican could outnumber the total count of votes? As there are a minimum of 3 electors p/state? Effectively giving the smaller states more power per vote.

Guest ai

parallax,

I just red a few hundreds of observators from OSCE (Organisation for security and cooperation in Europe) are send across the us to watch the election at the invitation of the state dept. Maybe they should send hans blix too.

No, wait. He was killed by kim jong il.

Guest juicysauce
Given the fact that California will go to Kerry(probably, and hopefully), isn't it so that the electors voting republican could outnumber the total count of votes? As there are a minimum of 3 electors p/state? Effectively giving the smaller states more power per vote.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're saying, but just to make sure we're all on the same page, it takes 270 electoral college votes to win the election. California has 55, much more than any other single state. (Texas is second with 34.)

If you look at an electoral college map tonight on the news in the US, you'll see a lot more red (for Republicans) than blue (for Democrats). But notice that the blue states are some of the most populated (and most _densely_ populated) states in the country. These states have many more electoral votes than a lot of the other, less populated states that account for most of the nation's geographic space.

(Population density is important, by the way, because urban areas typically vote Democrat, while rural areas, where the population is more spread out, vote Republican.)

Most states have a winner-take-all system for the distribution of their electoral votes. So if Democrats win a simple majority (more than 50% of the actual votes) in California, then all 55 of California's electoral votes go to Kerry.

Nebraska and Maine are the only exceptions to this system. They allow a proportionate number of electoral college votes to be cast for each candidate.

And yes, people voting in states that have the minimum number of electoral votes (3) have a "stronger" vote than people in California. Each single voter's vote carries more punch than a single voter's vote in California.

Guest parallax

Yes, thats exactly what i meant. But am i right in my claim that you could have the most total number of votes, and still be outvoted by an electoral majority?

I remember reading somewhere this has happened a few times.

Guest juicysauce

Yeah, that's the old popular vote vs. electoral college conundrum. It happened in 2000 when Gore received more of the popular vote (i.e. actual individual votes) than Bush, but Bush won the election because he got the most electoral college votes.

Here's a good read on the phenomenon and its historical occurences:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/campaign2000race.html

Guest parsonsprojects

that is terrible. sorry to hear it. God rest his soul.

I don't want to seem cold-hearted, but I wanted to add this earlier:

Our unofficial two party system is very screwed up. Did anyone hear about Badnarik and Cobb getting thrown in jail at the second debate? Yeah.

Our founding fathers would never have wanted such a thing. Truly, I don't think they would even recognize our nation today.

I love what my country is *supposed* to be. Not what it has become. Neither Kerry nor Bush are going to fix it.

I'd rather hear that people are Voting Independent/Green/Constitution/Reform/Whatever....If only for the fact that it might be the start of something...

(*Ahem* Vote Badnarik 2004. :P )

Guest SermonOfMockery

it's 9:30 pm. i am right now predicting that Bush will win. excuse me while i go stick my head in the oven now.

Guest silatix

dont get me started

the angry dem's in philly are already beating up bush supporters in the streets..

what is it with the midwest anywya? i dont get it

Guest dahl
it's 9:30 pm. i am right now predicting that Bush will win. excuse me while i go stick my head in the oven now.

Make room for me too. :(

I just have to vent for a second, though. I don't care who votes for whom.... but MTV is making me sick with the way it's pushing Hollywood for Kerry. The influence they have over new voters is insane....

Did anyone see the Daily Show that mentioned that video game voting rap???

Or Christina Aguilera on the Choose or Lose? Ick.

MTV and others have tried to make young people vote, but they still don't get it. It's very sad what US youth cares so little.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...2059EST0779.DTL

Guest SermonOfMockery

i'm fucking embarrassed to be american right now (and i almost never say that). what's almost worse than bush winning is that apparently all 11 state initiatives banning gay marriage are passing as well. that's some ridiculous shit.

Guest parallax

FFS! I feel sad inside. (i really do)

How can a facist be vote president!

I wish you all good luck, and indeed, the world in the next 4 years :( :(

Guest MBX

it's sad so many people didn't learn from the past 4 years. it's sad so many people still voted for such a rightwing-evangelic hypocrite, corrupt and greedy motherfucker.

it's sad there are so many conservatives who believe the "politics" of g.w. bush are the right one for usa & the world.

this election system reminds me of a third world country... but it seems as if the us want's to stick to it's traditions and how presidents were elected 200 hundrets years ago.

Guest pidgeonGlue

we deserve bush. we deserve every single evil fucked up thing that happens to america. if he wins, it's our doing. it was up to us.

i believe people and places can change, and that is the reason i am optomistic.

see what happens in the morning.

Guest superegophobia

*sigh* it's times like this I miss Clinton. I think I'd rather have a president lying about getting a little something on the side, than a trigger-happy president lying about WMD and links to terrorism, driving the U.S. prematurely into war, causing even more countries of the world to hate us. ugh, the next four years are reeeally going to suck (again).

Guest milksac

We're Fucked We're Fucked We're Fucked We're Fucked We're Fucked!!!

Had to get that off my chest. Back to work now.

Guest silatix

so ::clears throat:: .. all you people that live in other countries.. know of any job openings and or women that will marry me so i can get a green card? :)