Sign in to follow this  
Epal

$150 for 15-30 sec mograph ad

Hi, a guy wants me to do 15-30 sec motion graphic ads for him for USD 150 each, what would you say? Do I suck so much? How much would you charge? Should I tell them they're nuts?

thanks for the opinions

If you can do it in a few hours...then yes. Your reel is quality stuff, if you are going to spend more than a few hours definitely charge more.

My reel isnt even that great, and I just made about $800 for a 6 second piece and some other little video treatments. That was over the span of a few days...and im not exactly in LA or NY.

you probably know your local market best - if that's what people other people charge then you may lose the job if you charge more, but it certainly doesn't sound very good.

There are definitely better paying jobs in other markets, but the challenge is getting the jobs remotely, and then making sure you get paid. Some people certainly do work internationally.

I'd do it, but make sure he knows he's getting a 15-30 sec spot that looks like $150, which for that price, I wouldn't spend more than 2-3 hours on it. Taking care of client expectations is a big part of making sure everyone is happy at the end of the project.

I hope they like a pre-made logo fading in and fading out. Then charge them quadruple cost on any tape stock, lunches, potential satellite fees, overages for roto time that may or may not be used and unexpected weather delays.

Then it's 5 minutes worth of work and 4k in your pocket.

You guys aren't taking into account that he's in Argentina, and in some smaller countries $150 is alot of money.

However, I saw the OPs work and he deserves a hell of a lot more! I learned to do some stuff for cheap and give them a cheap product in the end...yes yes, we all know mographers need to keep their reputations intact, but no one has to see these $150 jobs except your wallet! :P

we all know mographers need to keep their reputations intact, but no one has to see these $150 jobs except your wallet! :P

qft

and to add, do you personally think it is worth your time? Thats really what it boils down to. If you think you could whip up something really quick and charge $150 and both parties are happy then do it. :)

JMO

You guys aren't taking into account that he's in Argentina, and in some smaller countries $150 is alot of money.

However, I saw the OPs work and he deserves a hell of a lot more! I learned to do some stuff for cheap and give them a cheap product in the end...yes yes, we all know mographers need to keep their reputations intact, but no one has to see these $150 jobs except your wallet! :P

USD 150 is not that much even in Argentina, believe me... plus, it's somebody in the US who wants to pay me that amount. So that's why I'm in doubt, but as you said I will limit all my ideas and proposals to stuff that only would require a few hours of work and see if the client accepts them. Problem is when the customer is very demanding for that amount of cash, which happens sometimes.

Now I've made a proposal to them, something that is not very complex but would look good, I didn't even waste time making a board with the final look, just a rough sketch, so far they're kind of "evaluating" ... our fluent email exchanges have been delayed so I guess probably they didn't like the "simplicity" $150 can get :)

Thanks everyone for their opinions, it's been very useful!

USD 150 is not that much even in Argentina, believe me...

Or anywhere anymore, believe me... ;)

I forgot to mention I was joking in my first post.

I don't think it's even worth doing "a little" work on something like that. When the request for work is so high and the paycheck is so low... the client is essentially giving you a gift by letting you know not to even waste your time. It would have been nothing but trouble.

-m

At this point you've probably already wasted $150 worth of your time dealing with this project when you add up the time it took to draw the sketch, answer their emails, write this post etc. In my opinion, these clients are pretty much never worth it - if you show that you're able to be screwed, they will screw you time and time again.

The only time I did a project like this was for a British company (I'm in Canada). They had $200, so I told them I could do it over a lunch, but there would be no boards, no revisions, and I had to get the money after delivery of the watermarked final (at which point I'd upload the final version). In the end, THEIR client cancelled so they didn't need the video, and therefore were in no rush to pay me for my work. It took them 3 months to finally pay me the $200, which they were supposed to pay the same day I did the project. They wouldn't answer my emails, so I had to actually get on the phone to tell them I expected to be paid for my work, their response was that they didn't like to use PayPal because it charges a fee, and they were looking into alternate ways to pay me <_< . In the end, I just told them to forget about the $5 fee and that I'd pay it myself.

So, when you add up the time I spent worrying about being paid and sending emails, the money I spent calling Great Britain a few times, and the fee I paid from PayPal - not to mention the time it actually took me to do the work - all I really got from the project was $50 and a headache.

EDIT: My project was only about 6 seconds of video, yours want 15-30secs? I don't care how simple it is, that's hardly worth the render time let alone the project time.

Edited by beau+++

Let's see ... just to give some perspective, what costs $150?

Maybe taking an existing render and getting it transferred to DigiBeta.

No designing.

No animating.

No revisions.

No rendering.

Just digging up the backup disk, and spitting it out to DigiBeta.

$150 isn't cheap, it isn't bupkis, it's an insult. Though unintentional, probably.

In my opinion. :)

Yeah huge waste of time. $150 for 15-30sec (which usually becomes 30) is outrageous. Like Beau+++ was saying by the time you finish you'll probably end up making very little. Don't think that clients are gonna settle with simple presets they always want the best looking stuff out there with no money.

$150 american project smells like a client-induced headache to me. I have found that the cheaper the client, the more work they are to deal with.

I would insist on a $500-1,000 minimum and let them go away. One thing I tell my interactive clients is that I have a minimum starting point on any project that allows enough time to generate a good concept. I don't do push button projects for anyone because it's not helpful for them or me.

-gl

I'll pay you $150 NOT to take the project and drive down the value of Mograph work in general. Well... not really, but it sounded good coming out.

Its all up to you man, but I'd spend that time learning something or sharpening skills that would earn me real money down the road.

Edited by monovich