Sign in to follow this  
graymachine

Cinema - Reducing a heavy model

I've got a immensely heavy objects that originated in CAD, coming to me via Maya, and unfortunately, it didn't get lightened that much before going into production. I'm jumping into this project halfway, but I've got a day to lighten this object, which is a vehicle, and the geometry includes just about every switch, mechanism and piece of conduit that is in the production vehicle, aside from the engine. It is killing the workflow!!!

Mostly, I'd like an "exterior" version of this vehicle, so I can strip out all of the interior and any structural components not visible to the camera.

So, the question is.. is there a way to select objects that are visible or invisible to the camera? Any other ideas to help me weed through the 1,000 odd parts in this vehicle?

It's very seldom that all the polygons share points even if it belongs to a single mesh object.

Make sure you are familiar with Select Connected (U~W). Huge time saver. Very often you can select a few polys hit U~W and the selection will stop at sensibly constructed boundaries. You can also use the opposite method select a few polys of what you want to see... Select Connected... Invert Selection and then delete.

Be sure to run "Optimize" at the end to also get rid of the points of the deleted polys.

Just curious... has this been pre-subdivided? And what's you poly count? A few million is standard for a high res car.

-m

It's very seldom that all the polygons share points even if it belongs to a single mesh object.

Make sure you are familiar with Select Connected (U~W). Huge time saver. Very often you can select a few polys hit U~W and the selection will stop at sensibly constructed boundaries. You can also use the opposite method select a few polys of what you want to see... Select Connected... Invert Selection and then delete.

Be sure to run "Optimize" at the end to also get rid of the points of the deleted polys.

Just curious... has this been pre-subdivided? And what's you poly count? A few million is standard for a high res car.

-m

The pieces are all separate. So each nob, switch, handle, etc.. is its own poly. Unfortunately, there is no naming convention to them, other than "polySurface261113" etc.

On this car, for example, I have a moonroof. Cool. But, the moonroof slider track, wiring conduit and associated mechanical components are underneath the moonroof glass, all as little parts (hundreds). I should mention, with the color treatment we are using (cel renderer) ONLY the exterior objects will be seen. So, if I could wave a magic wand and select obects that are visible to the camera and move them to another group or layer, that would be awesome.

Can you view each poly in the objects viewer? Maybe they are setup in layers or you could cluster the poly's that you don't want into a layer and turn it off?

I'm pretty new to C4D, this is the first thing I would look at.

As I'm sure you know... all the Selection Tools have a "Select Visible" Checkbox, however, I'm pretty certain it doesn't work on an object level (only points, polys, and edges). The best thing I could think of is select all the objects in the object manager, switch to poly mode, select the polys with visible only enabled (probably from a few directions), select connected, invert selection and delete.

That would yield a reduced car with the same number of objects... some containing no geometry at all... which is not exactly what you want, but better than what you have.

Any chance that it brought in materials with it? Because you can select all the objects of a common material and group them into a layer that way.

And your last option... interns. :(

-m

And your last option... interns. :(

-m

I had something similar coming from a solidworks file, I selected the outer pieces manually and put them on its own layer, hid that layer, then deleted everything else. That might be faster than deleting individual parts...(btw the engineer never did that to me again =)

looks like job for the intern plugin...but that probably takes more than a day to 'download' =(

Edited by apoK

I had something similar coming from a solidworks file, I selected the outer pieces manually and put them on its own layer, hid that layer, then deleted everything else. That might be faster than deleting individual parts...(btw the engineer never did that to me again =)

looks like job for the intern plugin...but that probably takes more than a day to 'download' =(

This is exactly what I am doing.... selecting big visible parts (doors, fenders, hood, etc) and adding them to a layer that is locked. Then I can do large scale selections and delete massive amounts of stuff.

Plus, I've deleted one half of the vehicle and parented it to a symmetry object.

I'm down to 13MB from 58MB. Looks like I am the intern today.

The upshot of what I'm about to say is that there's not a lot of need to worry about the Object Manager. Just use the marquee, the editor window, and the Attributes Manager and slash and burn. I think Monkey was getting roughly at this method also. So here's the rest of the writup:

The Select commands do work on object level, so what I do when I get a model like this (which is a lot) is use the Rectangular Select tool in Model Tool mode and get myself to views where I see only the hood, the fenders, and external things. That is, I get to views that are safe first, and not views that look through the windshield or through the tire wells. Then I marquee visible objects and do a 'group objects' (option-g). Without even looking at the Object Manager, I just immediately command-x and command-v right away, so that I know what I had selected is now at the root level of the hierarchy, and in the Attributes Manager basic tab just turn those things off for editor display. I don't try to be precise, don't even look at the OM, just get big chunks of things I know I need out of the way.

After a while doing this, I'd group all the things that remain, most of which aren't things I need anyway, and I hide them. I unhide the things I've been marqueeing (which may be in a dozen red-dotted nulls by now). I go through all those things I think I want and remove all the things I marqueed by mistake. Those things are certain to be unneeded, and they go an UNUSED null that I double-red and keep at the bottom of the hierarchy (okay, I looked at the OM for a second).

Then I'd swap back and hide my 'select' geometry and unhide the innards I didn't think I'd need, which I'd just hidden a second ago and go through those in the viewport window to see which of those things might conceivably be needed. Then just grab them and command-x command-v them to the top of the hierarchy. When I get a lot of those, I'd group them and hide them also.

Eventually this slash-and-burn method will get you down to only what you need. In the end it'll be a visual process though. You'll know by looking at your car if you're missing something, like a part of a rim, a headlight cover, or something.

The twist in this story is if you got a Max model that's triangulated and degenerated, and in that case I'd say grab a lot of Red Bull. ;)

graymachine I know you like to get loose with some code -- I think there may be a COFFEE solution in here that includes (blue sky thinking here stay with me) setting up something that would raycast onto your model from a set of spherical points/angles, and storing any object that gets casted upon into an array, and anything that doesn't gets deleted. Probably too convoluted of a process for this one model, but if it's something your planning on doing often it may be worth thinking about further.

The Select commands do work on object level...

Bzzzt...

Listen to the_Monkey. :)

The "Only Select Visible" parameter of the Select Command does not work on the Object Level.

• Make 2 spheres at the origin.
  • One of radius 100... one of radius 10.
  • Deselect both.
  • Marquee the spheres with "Only Select Visible" enabled.

Both spheres will be selected even though the smaller is hidden by the larger one.

It makes sense really, because you realize that one "object" is not occluding the other, but rather its "polygons".

-m

By 'Select commands' I meant Rectangular, Live Select and the other marquees. My only real contribution was 'ignore the Object Manager for the most part, because it'll just slow you down.' The rest of my bit was just filler.

Mostly, I'd like an "exterior" version of this vehicle, so I can strip out all of the interior and any structural components not visible to the camera.

So, the question is.. is there a way to select objects that are visible or invisible to the camera? Any other ideas to help me weed through the 1,000 odd parts in this vehicle?

*if this issue ever comes up again*

I know your asking for C4D, but Maya 2009 has a "camera based selection" feature: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?...amp;id=11804202.

Along with this and other updates I'm stoked to upgrade.

Though I dont know if youre keeping your Maya updated or have made the full switch to Cinema.