Sign in to follow this  
Duder

"Floaters"

I know I sometimes ask weird questions, but these "floaters" have been buggning the shit out of me!

I went to an optometrist and she said everyone has them? Wtf....and I had to pay her for THAT?

Sometimes they piss me off during designing so I tend to turn my brain off and forget them and that works, but once I realize they are there, I get pissed.

They look like little "hairs"....tried to wash them out with CVS "eye washers".

Anyone else in this sticky situation?

Hah, I remember when I first noticed these. Panicked at the time thinking it was a tumour or something, but learnt to ignore it pretty well.

Only really notice them looking at bright solid colours. Apparently they are very common and I was told it's probably always been there but just shifted to 'float' in my field of vision now.

hi everybody,

i have these floater too.

I think it started when i was 10 years old.

the reason - maybe because of spending many nights at computer.

i think we all must at least go sports, and sleep well at nights)))

i try to go to work by bicycle )))

Yup, I've got them too, and there's not much you can do about them other than learning to live with them.

I see them when I look at any bright backgrounds; right now the white parts of this window on my cinema display are providing a nice backdrop. Mine float around a bit and occasionally drift into the center of my vision which is really annoying. I've found that if I look back and forth/ up and down quickly a few times I can jostle them out of my line of sight. It's embarrassing when someone catches you doing it, but it works.

At least you can move on knowing you're not the only one with this affliction. It's like the day I found out that other people also get brain freezes. What a relief.

If we could harness the power of everyone's floaters, would we need Particular?

I hear Canon has come out with some proprietary technology to automatically clone them out ;-)

Seriously though, I wonder if it's just like dust on a camera sensor, where you see them when your eye's iris clamps shut due to bright light. Less light works its way around the object to reach your eye's "sensor" and thus the floaters become more apparent. As opposed to shooting sunsets at f/4 instead of f/15. It makes sense in theory, anyway.

Cf

Friend and client of mine is an eye surgeon. He explained to me that the fluid in our eyes is gelatinous when we are born but as we age it breaks down to a liquid. During this process material will sometimes delaminates from the interior of the eye and start to float down eventually settling on the bottom of your eyeball. It can actually take months for a floater to make its way down depending on the density of the goo in your eye.

It became very noticable for me when i got my dual LCD monitors, I guess something about the higher contrast.

Edited by cbowyer

'Oh Squiggly line in my eye' seen that family guy episode when stuey's writing his thoughts on his 'death bed'? - I laughed as it was the first time I realised other people had them, I was scared to go to the optician incase I had something wrong with me & just learned to ignore them.

I have them too, noticed them a year and half ago, apparently nothing can be done about it. Seems like an awful lot of us have them...wonder if it's a computer / vision thing?

Even non-hardcore-computer users get them, it really doesn't have anything to do with the fact the group here uses computers so much. If anything, we're just more likely to notice it than non-visual people.

Funny I just wrote about this in one of the CS4 threads, then bam, there's a whole thread about it. Got floaters myself. A couple things that help for me are glasses instead of contacts, and dark interfaces.

I'm not sure if there is an American alternative, but I found this product while in Japan.

You fill these cups up with their solution and you hold it over your eyes. (like the box cover).

They advertise it as an eye disease prevention kit. I've used it and the amount of floaters I found in the cup was disturbing.

eyebon.jpg

its also kinda mentholly and it makes your eyes feel nice.

I'm not sure if there is an American alternative, but I found this product while in Japan.

You fill these cups up with their solution and you hold it over your eyes. (like the box cover).

They advertise it as an eye disease prevention kit. I've used it and the amount of floaters I found in the cup was disturbing.

eyebon.jpg

its also kinda mentholly and it makes your eyes feel nice.

This is truly innovative if they've found a way to suck the floaters out from inside of your eyeball. ;)

They had this piece of crap at CVS. It doesn't help.

The floaters are "inside" of your eyeball not outside.

I wanted to poke it out with my fingers but then I realized it was inside and not outside.

They're a sort of visual tinnitus and there are ways to deal with them, and froj has touched on it. I have no medical training at all, but as I'm in the middle of Tinnitus Retraining Therapy I thought some of the techniques used in this might be of help to floater sufferers.

Firstly, like tinnitus everyone has floaters and they are only a problem when they become intrusive. If you've had your eyes checked and there's nothing glaring (you MUST get them checked by a doctor though as my wife started with bad floaters and a small piece of her retina has become detached, so rule out a treatable cause first) then it's likely your stuck with them. I've just been through this with tinnitus, and this version of dealing with floaters is taken from what I've learnt; pages on the web which support this view also carries some negative aspects of behaviour modification which I suspect may hinder rather than help treatment.

Bear with me in this, it's relevant. Your brain is set up to recognise certain threats and you respond to them automatically. If you step out into the road and hear a car horn, chances are you'll jump back involuntarily, and that's your brain's fight or flight response being invoked, same with a floorboard creaking at night and you go from deep sleep to full waking instantly. This is a deeply powerful subconscious response leftover from our days as hunter-gatherers on the African plains, when a moment's hesitation could cost you your life.

This automated response mechanism works like this:

External Stimulus > Limbic System activates (subconscious) > Limbic system filters stimulus and assigns it as 'threat' or 'benign' (subconscious) > if LS decides it's a 'threat' then a signal is passed onto the autonomous nervous system and this activates the fight or flight mechanism and physical symptoms follow i.e. raised pulse, feeling of agitation etc

Like tinnitus, when you first notice floaters your brain latches on to them and as you perceive them as something abnormal, the limbic system assigns them the 'threat' label, and you become stressed as you wonder if they will get worse, stop you from working etc. This worry reinforces the subconscious idea that floaters are a threat, and you begin to monitor them, looking for them in different light conditions (they're worse in diffuse light, such as an bright but cloudy day, less noticeable on sunny days with high contrast). By now you're getting worked up about it and they might be affecting your quality of life and making you (possibly) bloody miserable.

The key to dealing with them is realising they are a normal phenomenon. Think of your fridge: listen for it and you can hear it humming away as you watch the TV, but soon you simply don't hear it as your limbic system has filtered the noise out as it's not on it's list of threats; the noise is still there, but you don't hear it as your brain doesn't bring it to your attention.

Millions of people have floaters and they don't affect their quality of life one jot as they don't see them anymore. This is because they don't register them as a threat even though they may be quite bad. How is it some people can live with them and other's can't? Firstly, accept you have them and tell yourself they are a normal variant and not an illness. Your eyesight is not effected and although you notice them they cannot cause any harm. Don't monitor them but accept them as part of yourself. Check your reaction when you notice them: do you get that nervous feeling? That's your limbic system, and you need to let it know they are not a threat. Keep doing this, understand why you feel like this and in time you will begin to forget your floaters for longer and longer periods of time. You will notice them every now and then in certain conditions etc, but that won't matter as you accept they are not a problem and you'll just carry on with whatever you're doing. Try not to adapt your behaviour as this acts as negative reinforcement and strengthens feeling of a threat.

I'm not saying this is easy, and it takes time but anyone with the mental ability to learn After Effects can retrain their reaction to things like floaters and tinnitus (which is obviously slightly different as the causes are different, but the principles the same - recognise its not a threat).

Here endeth the lesson.

You must be masturbating too much. Because if you google "excessive masturbation" you come across some of these lists:

There are a large number of health problems that can occur from Over Masturbation:

Lower Back Pain

Chronic Fatigue

Concentration, Memory Problems, and Absentmindedness

Hair Loss (or thinning hair)

Weak Erections

Pain (in the testicles, groin, or pelvis)

Eye Floaters (or fussy vision)

You must be masturbating too much. Because if you google "excessive masturbation" you come across some of these lists:

There are a large number of health problems that can occur from Over Masturbation:

Lower Back Pain

Chronic Fatigue

Concentration, Memory Problems, and Absentmindedness

Hair Loss (or thinning hair)

Weak Erections

Pain (in the testicles, groin, or pelvis)

Eye Floaters (or fussy vision)

Fredtastic.