Sign in to follow this  
steelparadox

TV On the Radio Music Video Effect

I really like the first bit of this TV on the Radio music vid:

Staring at the Sun

Does anyone know how the 3d scope look at the beginning is achieved? The video pretty much dissolves into seperate 3-D lines, and it looks pretty great. Thanks!

Oh- P.S. -- If you are a music video junkie like I am, you may really love this site. I've found it's a good place for inspiration:

ClipTip

Edited by steelparadox

Looks like trapcode form. not to sure on how they married the footage to the effect but you can def parent audio tracks to the form to cause those scope like reactions. Maybe greymachine can shed some light. He has a form tutorial.

Looking at the date on the slate makes me second guess that now. I don't believe that plug-in was out in "04"

Edited by b_foote1

I think this was achieved with hardware, namely an old school video synth, something like<a href="http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vidsynth/ruttetra/ruttetra.htm" target="_blank">

this.

</a>

That's exactly how they did that. I believe that the only computer they used to to make that video was the one they edited it with. everything else was all done using analogue technology during the shoot

DRNZ - I think you're absolutely right. A quick search on the Rutt-Etra Video Synth turned up this article:

Classic Analog: Futuristic 1972 Rutt-Etra Video Synth and a 2004 Music Video

So I guess that pretty much puts my question to rest. Thanks! I've been dying to know since I saw the video.

Oh, and b_foote1, it does look a lot like a Trapcode Form effect, I agree.

This guy has figured out a low budget way to do a similar thing to the TV on the radio vid and the new

with a projector, a camera and a bit of processing, check it out HERE scroll down the page to see his set up and initial results. Edited by nextexit