Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

After Effects CS4

FYI, all the info on the CS4 apps went up today on the Adobe website - I think a lot of people were expecting that nothing would be announced until the webcast thing tomorrow.

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/

I'll post the After Effects CS4 Help document on the Web at about 3PM Pacific Time on the 23rd (tomorrow).

For now, here's a link to an article by Chris and Trish Meyer:

After Effects CS4 on the ProVideo Coalition

that is lame all the features I have requested over the years for After Effects are now in Flash? What the F*&k!!! The spray can, IK, get in Flash and thanks for the searchable timeline!!!

Edited by pixel_pimp

Thank the maker - the cartoon effect at last. Where's me credit card?

A note on the pricing. The upgrade price for US citizens is $599, or £330 sterling. The exact same upgrade is £605.12 sterling if you live in the UK, or $1,095.83.

I phoned Adobe to ask why the massive discrepancy in price but obviously the chap on the phone can't do anything but he did confirm the difference.

As I waited on hold, the music playing was Bowie's 'This is Not America'. No effing kidding.

Edited by zook

:H the new navigation and mini-flowchart look nice :H

I think it's pretty funny that they have a file format named after a failed sports league.

xfl.jpg

all I remember from that is

spikelee3.jpg

Edited by apoK

I am pretty let down by the new feature list in After Effects. I am annoyed by the Flash Export, XML and Mobile Device features over core compositing features. These 3 features should be on the Flash side not on the AE side. Flash should be made to import AE projects. Mobile Device should be handled under the Device Central application and speak to all Adobe applications. Where is the OpenEXR to take advantage of multi layer 3D renders? Have there been any improvements to the masking tools? Assigning tracking points to mask and better handling for basic roto/paint work? Folders in the Timeline? Improving workgroup sharing? I know this sounds like "Stuff I want" but I am looking at new features in competing composting application. I looks at feature they are getting and not features AE users are getting. Why do we have Puppet Tool but not IK?

Where is the OpenEXR to take advantage of multi layer 3D renders? Have there been any improvements to the masking tools?

Multi-layer or multi-channel?

It is there, via the EXtractoR effect.

Why do we have Puppet Tool but not IK?

I agree.

While I don't have time to go to details now, it looks like the info on Adobe's web site is a little thin.

For example, a huge thing IMO is that shape layers are now 32 bpc, including those cool gradients with transparency stops which can now produce overbright values.

The Wiggle Transform shape operator really is a cool complement to the Repeater (it will work with all shape instances, repeated or not).

The timeline search feature is exactly what Steven Kirby was looking for (I had to bite my tongue there).

I mean, no matter how many shortcuts you get to reveal fills or strokes, at some point you're going to want Offset paths' offset property. Or a wiggly selector's wiggles per second.

For example, you select a text layer with multiple text animators, type "ra" and you get randomize order and random seed for all range selector.

Select a shape group, several groups, a shape layer or several shape layers, type "fi", and all fill attributes are revealed.

Also, if you 64 layers forming a sphere in 3D space, you can assign the lavender color, then type "la" (or "lav", worst case) and those layers are isolated.

Personally, after using this, is really painful going back to CS3.

In project search, for example, you can type "PSD" and get all Photoshop files isolated in Project panel. Type "unused", and you get all unused files/elements, etc.

Photoshop 3D in AE: it's cool, but I wouldn't want to oversell it.

In project search, for example, you can type "PSD" and get all Photoshop files isolated in Project panel. Type "unused", and you get all unused files/elements, etc.

This search feature really gets me excited particularly if you have tons of assets, it's like finder in the Mac OS

While I don't have time to go to details now, it looks like the info on Adobe's web site is a little thin.

We've just posted a thousand or so pages of After Effects CS4 Help.

Here's a link to the "New features in After Effects CS4 section". It lists the top 11 new features, with links to detailed information about each.

Perhaps more useful is the "User interface changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4" section. The purpose of that page is to help people transition from one version to the other and to help people to translate tutorials written for CS3 so that they can still be used for CS4. But a side-effect of this page is that it serves as a somewhat obsessively complete list of all of the little changes that we made (the ones that have any impact on the UI, anyway). Jeff Almasol helped a lot on this section.

Note that many links to video tutorials, other Help documents, and white papers are still not functional, and the search doesn't really work yet. And commenting isn't turned on yet. This is to be expected with an early release of the document.

Please, feel free to ask questions about the features. That's why I'm here. If I can, I'll point you to the right section of the Help document. If I can't, then I need to make a note to fix the Help document.

Here's a link to the new Community Help page, which we're still working on:

After Effects Community Help

Edited by Todd Kopriva

Thanks for the links Todd.

We've just posted a thousand or so pages of After Effects CS4 Help.

Here's a link to the "New features in After Effects CS4 section". It lists the top 11 new features, with links to detailed informationa bout each.

Perhaps more useful is the "User interface changes from After Effects CS3 to After Effects CS4" section. The purpose of that page is to help people transition from one version to the other and to help people to translate tutorials written for CS3 so that they can still be used for CS4. But a side-effect of this page is that it severs as a somewhat obsessively complete list of all of the little changes that we made (the ones that have any impact on the UI, anyway).

Note that many links to video tutorials, other Help document, and white papers are still not functional, and the search doesn't really work yet. And commenting isn't turned on yet. This is to be expected with an early release of the document.

Please, feel free to as questions about the features. That's why I'm here. If I can, I'll point you to the right section of the Help document. If I can't, then I need to make a note to fix the Help document.

Multi-layer or multi-channel?

It is there, via the EXtractoR effect.

I agree.

For example, a huge thing IMO is that shape layers are now 32 bpc, including those cool gradients with transparency stops which can now produce overbright values.

The Wiggle Transform shape operator really is a cool complement to the Repeater (it will work with all shape instances, repeated or not).

The timeline search feature is exactly what Steven Kirby was looking for (I had to bite my tongue there).

I mean, no matter how many shortcuts you get to reveal fills or strokes, at some point you're going to want Offset paths' offset property. Or a wiggly selector's wiggles per second.

For example, you select a text layer with multiple text animators, type "ra" and you get randomize order and random seed for all range selector.

Select a shape group, several groups, a shape layer or several shape layers, type "fi", and all fill attributes are revealed.

Also, if you 64 layers forming a sphere in 3D space, you can assign the lavender color, then type "la" (or "lav", worst case) and those layers are isolated.

Personally, after using this, is really painful going back to CS3.

Photoshop 3D in AE: it's cool, but I wouldn't want to oversell it.

I meant multi-channel. I am so disappointed, so sad.

Guest Sao_Bento

“Changed name of panel from The Smoother to Smoother.”

“Change Brainstorm icon.”

“Changed name of panel from Time Controls to Preview”

“Changed name of panel from The Smoother to Smoother.”

“Changed name of panel from Time Controls to Preview”

These were in direct response to people complaining that the panel tabs were too wide, forcing people to have to scroll too much to get to panels docked in one frame in several common workspaces. The change to 'Preview' was also because it more clearly says what the panel does. (And it was suggested by a customer.)

Edited by Todd Kopriva

Guest Sao_Bento
These were in direct response to people complaining that the panel tabs were too wide, forcing people to have to scroll too much to get to panels docked in one frame in several common workspaces. The change to 'Preview' was also because it more clearly says what the panel does. (And it was suggested by a customer.)

Seems reasonable to me. The tough one is changing the name of Align and Distribute while ignoring the need for it to work in 3D space.

I wish the marketing people would have read John Nack's take on the 3D stuff as not being a central feature in this release. It's definitely getting the most attention even though it's exactly the kind of feature that makes everyone say that Adobe is spending it's time on spurious add-ons rather than the core functionality. The splitting of Flash into a regular and Pro version is more of the same.

The system requirements don't state if there is a 64-bit version available now...?

No, there isn't.

There are significant upgrades to the multi-processing system (Todd? Specicifc link? :) ), so that you can tweak memory/CPU usage for max. performance or keep using other applications. You can now set how many processors and how much RAM (up to 4 GB per processor/core) you want to use.

Also, the new Adobe Media Encoder standalone application lets you encode AE comps without even opening AE (or while using AE of course). It's not a replacement to the AE RQ for several reasons, but it's interesting (and it does 2 pass encoding for FLV, H264, etc.)

The splitting of Flash into a regular and Pro version is more of the same.

???

I think that the name just got changed to 'Flash Professional'. There's only the one authoring application.

Where do you see a split?

No, there isn't.

There are significant upgrades to the multi-processing system (Todd? Specicifc link? :) ), so that you can tweak memory/CPU usage for max. performance or keep using other applications. You can now set how many processors and how much RAM (up to 4 GB per processor/core) you want to use.

Also, the new Adobe Media Encoder standalone application lets you encode AE comps without even opening AE (or while using AE of course). It's not a replacement to the AE RQ for several reasons, but it's interesting (and it does 2 pass encoding for FLV, H264, etc.)

Does this require Vista 64-bit to work?

Guest Sao_Bento
???

I think that the name just got changed to 'Flash Professional'. There's only the one authoring application.

Where do you see a split?

It was a comment in one of the articles - "yes, there is now a "pro" version of Flash". I took that to mean that there were now multiple versions - i.e. Photoshop/Photoshop Extended/Photoshop Elements, etc. It's not as if that would be a surprise from Adobe. Good if they didn't.