Sign in to follow this  
silatix

economy in crisis..

Been thinking about this lately, interested to know how many of you think our industry and jobs are 'fundamentally sound'.

I know that even in dire times, the public needs the 'bread and circuses' to stay sane and entertained, and as such, many of us would retain work.

But I have to imagine that some of us might end up (and aren't above) pumping gas, or taking a career cut of some sort, IF the shit hit the fan.

Thoughts?

i cant imagine anyones job is safe.. as a freelancer im just wondering when the market is gonna dry up. or maybe its just gonna be more last minute projects with as few bodies as possible

Been thinking about this lately, interested to know how many of you think our industry and jobs are 'fundamentally sound'.

I know that even in dire times, the public needs the 'bread and circuses' to stay sane and entertained, and as such, many of us would retain work.

But I have to imagine that some of us might end up (and aren't above) pumping gas, or taking a career cut of some sort, IF the shit hit the fan.

Thoughts?

i think this industry will take a big hit if the shit really hits the fan. we all depend on large corporations in one way or another. advertising will be the first thing to get cut from their budgets.

well regardless of what happens, save save save your money. don't get yourself in debt for a car or house or a big move.

the best strategy is to consolidate your resources, hope your bank doesn't collapse (get the f away from Washington Mutual) and weather the storm. We'll come out of this as we always do, with many casualties among the poor. but the well-to-do (us) usually have enough flexibility to survive.

wamu is fine as long as you have under 100k..

well regardless of what happens, save save save your money. don't get yourself in debt for a car or house or a big move.

the best strategy is to consolidate your resources, hope your bank doesn't collapse (get the f away from Washington Mutual) and weather the storm. We'll come out of this as we always do, with many casualties among the poor. but the well-to-do (us) usually have enough flexibility to survive.

The firm I work for deals primarily with the financial services industry, namely small to large brokerage houses and clearing firms. So we've heard plenty about this subject. There's a lot of concern but we haven't seen any significant budget cut backs yet.

Personally, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The Dow ended 409 points higher today.

I think the worst is over.

<_<

Oh really?

I thought the worst was when the US taxpayers had to ACTUALLY PAY the half Trillion USD that the Congress used to bail out Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, AIG, Bear Stearns, etc.

Where the f*ck is MY bailout?!

-m

We're both screwed.. residents of ny state half to suffer for wall streets failures. thats what happens when an entire state relies on one streets earnings. :angry:

Oh really?

I thought the worst was when the US taxpayers had to ACTUALLY PAY the half Trillion USD that the Congress used to bail out Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, AIG, Bear Stearns, etc.

-m

Guest Sao_Bento
wamu is fine as long as you have under 100k..

1. The story is that the FDIC does not have enough funds to cover the guarantees it has made

2. If you do a little research on WaMu, you'll see that they're pretty shady to begin with.

3. If it was me, I'd definitely bail.

I'm waiting for Govinda to explain the new depression away . . .

Oh really?

-m

yeah seriously. we're the ones footing the bill for all this. while all those CEO's are gliding down on their golden parachutes.