Sign in to follow this  
silatix

economy in crisis..

Maybe they'll also stop blatantly ignoring copyrights. My girlfriend spent the first 21 years of her life in Burma (Myanmar) and China, and she was shocked to find out upon moving here that all their hit songs weren't actually written by the Asian bands ripping them off <_< .

Shocking, I know, but "Born in the U.S.A" wasn't originally recorded by a Chinese band :lol:

Not to mention that whole Zoom thing from a few years back.

Edited by beau+++

that's actually a very frightening prospect. since budgets are already getting slashed on new projects due to the downturn, it's a logical next step for agencies to go to china and other sources of cheap labor rather than us 'pampered western workers'

...other sources of cheap labor

*crosses fingers for Canada*

Seriously though, I'm loving your sweet sweet American coinage these days. Our dollar has been hovering between $0.70 - $0.80 for months now. That equals a bonus of 20-30% for every day I do work for American companies instead of Canadian ones. I hate to sound all positive about the economy, but right now it's doing nothing but good things for me.

Yay Canada!

wait wasn't the canuck dollar above the US dollar last year? i remember my whistler tix being extra expensive. so now you guys have dipped below again? back where you belong?

Well we were below you guys by this same amount for around 30 years. Then we had two years of being at par/slightly above. During that time the prices of EVERYTHING remained way higher than it is in the states simply because Canadians are used to paying more so why bother changing it (a 2-patty combo with fries and medium drink at my local fast food joint is now and always has been around $11 after tax, something I never see when I'm in your country unless I up-size to a keg of soda). Now that we're back below you guys, the prices are still the same for everything except gas is cheaper again. So for people like me who live in Canada but work for American companies, this couldn't be a sweeter deal.

It's interesting to take a step back for a second and look at Westerners; on the one hand, we're appalled at living standards in lesser developed nations, yet when they start to industrialize we pee ourselves that it might be OUR job heading over there. I'm not angling this at anyone in particular, but rather just trying to view it objectively.

One other thing: we may get all worked up by the revelation that a person in BFE makes $1/day, while never mentioning that $1/day puts them well above the average standard in BFE. We can't expect them all to make UAW wages overnight, of course. They've got to start somewhere. Hopefully it isn't in a country with a dictator making sure they NEVER exceed that $1/day.

Just rambling. I've spent the whole day restoring a co-worker's G5 that ate itself yesterday afternoon. Thankfully his CS3 activated itself okay or I'd be on the phone with one of those $1/day BFE guys until next week!

Cf

Last month I signed up for e-lance just to see what it was about, needless to say I never bothered bidding on anything after seeing how low the competition goes. Anyway, I just went poking around again after seeing someone posted a project worth $25k, and stumbled on an article about a "successful Motion Graphics Artist using Elance".

Intrigued, I went through his profile. The guy has done 50 different projects (mostly for American companies) in the past 6 months for a grand total of $13,000 :blink:.

Conclusion: Foreigners have no idea what to charge; we're all screwed.

Your right my friend. I usually spend some good quality time picking up some new beer (because its cheeper than the pubs) and either hanging with the wife or playing the 360 (gears of war 2 is awesome). My conflict right now is with my superiors. I am still fairly new to motion graphics (really graphic design in general) but I have been working all i can to grow (working an internship 2 10 hour days a week after my 4 10 hour days at my job) and I get absolutely no respect. Its crazy. I was on the chopping block but by the grace of God I still have my job. I am the only one that knows photoshop, AE, and Illustrator. They are all editors only using FCP. But I get bashed on all the time and get thrown under the bus. I have not once had any compliments about my work ethic. Just stuff like today "he is still new and doesn't know anything" (been here a year and tv for almost 3). Man sorry to rant but I am pissed right now and am wondering if i should just quit this f'ing job and work somewhere that is not in my field so my bosses actually give me a little respect and thank me once in awhile for all the work and time i put in. I am totally unhappy just know that its crazy hard to get a job right now.

It sounds like you work at a post house full of asshole editors.

Am I right?

There are a lot of those.

I freelanced at one once. That said, I can empathize and sympathize with your situation.

In my experience, post house editors seem threatened by mograph people and generally just want them around to do really lame title cards that they want to be able to 'art direct' but don't know how to do themselves because they don't know any AE and don't have any real training or sense for design, layout and animation.

Beware of the post house with no real Art Director. Likewise, beware of the post house with a head producer who 'thinks' he is an art director but really has no training as such. These two are actually, usually one and the same.

For that matter, beware of any place where the head producer is also the 'Art Director' or considers himself such.

xTVP

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts on this topic.

Not to sound like a kiss ass, but there have been a lot of intelligent postings on this thread.

Govinda, you do come to mind here.

A small note after reading this thread and a few others:

For what its worth, I don't think moderators should ban ZeBrownie.

While his views may not be shared by many, they are just opinions.

I'm surprised that anyone who considers themselves liberal would suggest banning his posts.

Part of being truly liberal is tolerating views you don't necessarily agree with.

Now if you want to consider or call yourself a leftist, then perhaps being liberal isn't on the agenda.

Likewise, if you call yourself conservative or right wing or even if you are like myself and are in the center on many issues.

I guess my point is that if someone isn't acting out or promoting acting out to actually harm other people because of their personal views and / or beliefs, then that person or persons' opinions can be tolerated.

I think threads like this are good in this part of the forum because lets face it, we all have our opinions but its never really been a good idea to talk about politics while on the job, whether you are staff or freelance; at least in my experience anyway.

A little anonymity can go a long way.

That said, regarding the economic crisis, I have noticed that business as a freelancer has been slower and I am in LA.

With as much school debt as I have from pursuing a career as a motion designer, this slow down is stressful and scary, to say the least.

As far as skill set goes, I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle with about two years experience. I'm not the best motion designer and I'm not the worst either. I could probably stand to have better contacts and more friends in the business. I admit that even though I work in mograph, socially speaking I don't hang out with other designer + animators all that much, if ever, but I digress.

It does seem like there are generally less projects to go around and the people getting them are either your real rock stars of the industry and / or in some cases people with better industry contacts than myself OR people willing to work for next to nothing.

I've noticed a trend in the last few months, since about late September, in people using the economy as an excuse to be crappy and / or late when it comes time to pay. In some cases this is the shop just mismanaging their finances even though they've been paid by the client. In other cases, its the shop getting paid late by the client and in turn being late paying everyone who worked on the project. Other crappiness includes canceling bookings early due to 'client delays', projects being axed and other likely stories and / or just plain bad business management on the part of the shop. Or so I've heard. I guess I do have a FEW friends in the mograph business, now that I think of it. Its mostly an email iChat thing though.

As far as staff job offers go, it seems like I see less and less postings for those and when I do see them the salaries have been exploitive as far as junior to mid-level positions go. Once in a great while you see or find out about an offer that is decent and the competition is intensely fierce because decent offers are so few and far between. I suppose the 'connections' factor can and does come into play here. This trend with staff jobs seems to have been going on since I have been in the business, which again, is for the last two years or so.

I will also say this: LA and its entertainment business, the motion design industry included, has really come to strike me as a bit like high school, with all of its politics, cliques and trends.

Anyhow, great thread and lots of great posts.

I'm glad the forum is back up. I've been trying to read it for a couple of days now and finally I am no longer getting that "IPS Driver Error".

TVP

Edited by tvp

Why don't we outsource CEO's? Just imagine the cost savings possible if the percentage savings is the same. It would be like outsourcing 400 of the lowest paid employees in a given company, and the savings in paperwork too... I mean, in the interest of shareholders.

Why don't we outsource CEO's? Just imagine the cost savings possible if the percentage savings is the same. It would be like outsourcing 400 of the lowest paid employees in a given company, and the savings in paperwork too... I mean, in the interest of shareholders.

IP Recorded........Target Acquired

hitmansillentassassinrd8.jpg

w336.png

I'm surprised that anyone who considers themselves liberal would suggest banning his posts.

Part of being truly liberal is tolerating views you don't necessarily agree with.

There's a difference between tolerating contrary views which are expressed with civility and intelligence in the interest of productive discussion, and being a naive sucker who gets flamebaited and trolled on a message board.

Just look at the guy's posting history and you'll see he has a shit-stirring neocon agenda. You're basically telling us to let ourselves be Zebrownierolled or we're not "true liberals."

By your logic I should disable my spam filter right now and let the deluge of crap flow in unchecked, or I'm not being "truly liberal."

There's a difference between tolerating contrary views which are expressed with civility and intelligence in the interest of productive discussion, and being a naive sucker who gets flamebaited and trolled on a message board.

Just look at the guy's posting history and you'll see he has a shit-stirring neocon agenda. You're basically telling us to let ourselves be Zebrownierolled or we're not "true liberals."

By your logic I should disable my spam filter right now and let the deluge of crap flow in unchecked, or I'm not being "truly liberal."

See, that's your interpretation, not my logic.

You're so clever, so why do you let him flame bait you into even being bothered by his comments?

On second thought, never mind. I don't even care to know.

Edited by tvp

Back on topic...I remember someone saying the shit was really supposed to hit the fan in January, but so far I haven't really noticed anything. I know there's been a couple closings, how are the freelancers around here doing?

I've heard of a lot of cuts and closures but they're too second-sourced to pretend I know what happened. Maybe it's playing out that the low-cost shops are keeping it going and high cost shops are crashing out. We're still in the early stages of this beast. Worst job losses in 35 years, worst GDP quarter since the big war. That many people out of work both reflects and feeds the down cycle. Plus there's more shit to hit the fan yet.

Good news is that the stimulus package is on the way to passing, the Senate getting enough votes from members who ignored the complaints of the shitheads and Republicans and aren't those really the same thing who know nothing of simple econ. The cuts like a year or two off the tail end of this thing. But what's happening for the next 18 months would've needed to have been fixed in like 2005...if not 1999.

It must've been high on the gizoogle when you searched on 'economy in crisis' and 'what the fuck!?' or something. But that's the idea for getting cheap hits. We need threads called 'jessica simpson's a fatty fat fat.' More of the old Sermon stuff about Mandy Moore would do it.