Sign in to follow this  
JIMMY

Monitors

Hi there Guys,

I recently bought a Mac Pro and am looking into getting a monitor for it real soon.

Wondering though what would be the best option:

I'll be mainly doing motion and graphics work.

Apple Display or Dell?

Apple are way more expensive it seems, but I see this as an investment, so what do you suggest?

Cheers,

Jimmy

PS. Also, is there a way to hook up my Mac Pro to my Intel Imac temporarily as a monitor?

Edited by JIMMY

Guest Sao_Bento
Hi there Guys,

I recently bought a Mac Pro and am looking into getting a monitor for it real soon.

Wondering though what would be the best option:

I'll be mainly doing motion and graphics work.

Apple Display or Dell?

Apple are way more expensive it seems, but I see this as an investment, so what do you suggest?

Cheers,

Jimmy

PS. Also, is there a way to hook up my Mac Pro to my Intel Imac temporarily as a monitor?

There have been many threads on this. The bottom line is that the Apple monitors are noticeably better than the Dells regardless of what you may read about them being made at the same plant etc. - that's bullshit. I just bought a 2408 and it's about 1/3rd as good as my Apple monitors. It's very easy to see the difference.

Guest Sao_Bento
Eizo monitors- if price is no object. They are incredible, nothing else compares.

Agreed

Dell = mediocre, Apple = good, Eizo = best.

Guest Sao_Bento
The Dells aren't BAD though are they???

Compared to the no-name stuff at Office Depot or Target, maybe not.

My vote after seeing this in person and checking out the calibration able to be done with it using X-rite technology would go to the HP Dreamcolor.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF...67-3648397.html

This things rivals some Eizo's I have worked on and is actually cheaper then some Eizo's as well.

Hp dropped the price from 3499 to 2499 but this is for needing your work to be spec on color accuracy .

I will agree in some cases the Apple ACD is good but it is lacking behind alot of the new displays and Apple hasnt touched it in 2 yrs(rumor of Macworld updates swirl now)

Cant rule out higher ned NEC as well for broadcast and film work.

Guest Sao_Bento
My vote after seeing this in person and checking out the calibration able to be done with it using X-rite technology would go to the HP Dreamcolor.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF...67-3648397.html

This things rivals some Eizo's I have worked on and is actually cheaper then some Eizo's as well.

Hp dropped the price from 3499 to 2499 but this is for needing your work to be spec on color accuracy .

I will agree in some cases the Apple ACD is good but it is lacking behind alot of the new displays and Apple hasnt touched it in 2 yrs(rumor of Macworld updates swirl now)

Cant rule out higher ned NEC as well for broadcast and film work.

Yeah, those HPs are nice.

This is a good thread, I wasn't really aware of those HP and Eizo models..

I agree with Sao and others, its a big difference between Apple... and all the rest.

My rule of thumb is: if you plan to do even one professional job on that computer, you can justify an Apple quality display/mouse/computer and nothing less.

I am getting a little sick of dropping over a grand every time I need a new monitor though. Especially when it hasn't been updated since 04... but supposedly new Apple displays are coming by end of year or so.

Edited by KURT

Need to put my 2 cents in here. HP just released a very attractive 24" monitor that is and LG S-IPS screen. These should be the same IPS screens that will be in the Cinema display refresh but the price is amazing at $650.00. If I was buying a monitor or 2 right now I would give these a serious look. They are not as sexy as the ACD but they are equal quality.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF...67-3648442.html

Guest Sao_Bento
They are not as sexy as the ACD but they are equal quality.

The same parts does not mean equal quality - we covered that in one of the previous threads. It's not a Apple vs HP thing, it's just a reality of manufacturing consumer electronics. I don't doubt that this monitor may be on par with the Apple monitors, but the spec sheet being the same doesn't make it so. I'd hold off judgment until you can actually take a critical look at one.

Guest Sao_Bento
Anyone heard a thing about the Samsung T260. Stats seem good. Price is right. But how is the monitor?

Look at small text on one in person - that'll give you a pretty good starting point. It's a clear differentiator between the Apple's and the Dell's. The text I'm typing now looks razor sharp on an Apple monitor and a blurry unregistered mess on the Dell.

Agreed

Dell = mediocre, Apple = good, Eizo = best.

I work with an Eizo 24" and a Dell 24" and have 2 apple screens at home. The Eizo is by far the most accurate and even, the apple's are close, but I've noticed some short term burn in.. the Dell's are ok for the money, but side by side its not even close to the Eizo.

Guest Sao_Bento
Apples are good but check Colour Confidence out - they sell the best gear for the descerning designer (and have neatly organised the screens into various colour fidelity catagories)

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/product.p...&xSec=10271

Posh screens, some at not very posh prices...

That's a great business angle. I hope they can maintain their integrity. I also wish they had a presence in the US.

so rather than start a new thread and get called a noob for it, what do you guys think is more important, the better monitor of an ok monitor with a good calibration system?

I want to get a new monitor for primarily animation / vfx work and can't decide what to go with.