Sign in to follow this  
rshain

CS4 and mocha for After Effects CS4

Hi folks,

The Imagineer team wanted to address a few questions that have been coming in due to the CS4 announcement...

As always, feel free to contact me: rosss@imagineersystems or sales@imagineersystems with any questions.

Cheers,

Ross

First, let us thank you for your business and positive feedback. We hope that mocha for After Effects is delivering on its promise and is helping make your workflow a bit smoother, easier and more creative.

As you may have heard, we have entered into an agreement with Adobe, which was formally announced yesterday. We are very excited that our standalone VFX application, mocha for After Effects v1, is being bundled with Adobe CS4. This is tremendous validation from Adobe that we’ve created something highly valuable to the After Effects community. Unfortunately, we have not been able to speak publicly about this arrangement until today. However, since the news is spreading like wild fire, we wanted to share some new and exciting details that haven’t even been announced yet.

We will continue to sell mocha for After Effects v1 as a stand alone app for AE users who may not be moving to CS4 right away, but would still benefit from the features of our solution. This approach still gives them the option to take advantage of our tools and export planar tracking data to older versions of After Effects.

Also, customers who purchase, or have purchased mocha for After Effects v1 after August 1, 2008, will receive a free upgrade to mocha for After Effects version 2.0 (shipping later this year). Version 2.0 offers significant improvements to the After Effects workflow and adds powerful new features (we’ll be announcing those features soon, but suffice it to say, we’re adding significant value to this product). There are also many upgrade options for customers who have purchased before August 1, 2008 or want to upgrade to our other tool. Our goal is to make this as easy and attractive proposition as possible and to ensure our customers feel they are getting valuable solutions from Imagineer Systems.

While we’re very proud of the solutions we provide to the VFX community, we’re equally proud of the relationships we have with our customers and partners like Adobe. We think these developments represent a huge win for our customers and we’re very excited about newer, even bigger developments with mocha for After Effects that are coming very soon!

From the team at Imagineer

The addition of Mocha to AE CS4 is the only reason that I am going to upgrade. I have not used it before but I am really looking forward to trying one of your products for the first time.

Would you like to tell us something about Mocha?

Here's a link to the motion tracking section of After Effects CS4 Help. It tells where you can find documentation and tutorials for mocha for After Effects.

I'm sure that Ross has plenty more to say, but (since he's probably asleep right now), I figured that I could give you this to keep you busy for a while.

I always wished more companies used mograph.net as a resource to connect with end-users.

My introduction to Imagineer Systems began and grew from mograph.net.

It's always good to hear something straight from the source, especially when it's delivered in a straight forward and professional manner (without the marketing BS). I was very happy to see Mocha get released under Adobe's "umbrella" because it meant you guys would likely receive a steady flow of cash for further development.

New ideas come from small studios. Adobe is too big to do anything innovative anymore, and thus, they are in a position where they must buy their innovation. That's not necessarily bad... as long as they're buying it from good developers. The addition of Mocha in AE CS4 was also the headline feature, IMO. Just so you guys know. ;)

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I personally owe Imagineer system's products (Monet and Motor) many , many thanks for all the life I was given back in the past year by using their stuff. It's nice to think of roto and tracking as an after thought now.

Guys,

Thanks for the messages. We are definitely trying to support the general community of independent vfx and motion design artists, so your feedback is really welcome. Education is also really important to us and we are alsways excited to give our edu discount to students, teachers and starving artists types that just want to learn the latest tools!

There are lots of good tutorials on Imagineer's site at: http://www.imagineersystems.com/support/tutorials/

In a nutshell here is my brief description of the products, from lowest price up. All products are based on our award winning planar tracker.

mocha for After Effects v1 - planar tracking utility that exports perspective, scale, rotation and transformation tracking keyframes to After Effects.

Helps take AE to the next level as an fx compositor.

motor - rotoscoping station. Track shapes for assisted rotoscoping. Render mattes for most composite systems: shape data supported for Flame, Combustion, Shake and Nuke.

mocha - tracking and roto station. All the features of of the above (roto and track) combined AND support for tracking export to most systems: AE, Flame, Smoke, Combustion, Nuke, Shake, Avid|DS, Fusion, Quantel.

mokey - removal station - automates complex image restoration, stabilization, removal tasks that plague vfx artists. Essentially can you can use mokey to create and render clean plates when the clean plates weren't shot or were shot incorrectly....! Scratch and object removal. mokey also exports tracking data like the mocha.

monet - placement station. monet is created specifically for logo replacements and screen insertion shots. Has advanced functions like: lens distortion correction, mesh warper and 3D rotation. Basically if you have a project with tons of screen insertions, finish them in monet rather than go moch to another app.....

Hope this is useful and I'm happy to cut eval licenses if anyone wants to try out the products.

Best,

Ross

Ross Shain

VP, Imagineer Systems

rosss@imagineersystems.com

I personally owe Imagineer system's products (Monet and Motor) many , many thanks for all the life I was given back in the past year by using their stuff. It's nice to think of roto and tracking as an after thought now.

I completely agree with C.Smith . . . I have the full version of Mocha and when it comes to tracking, roto, and even replacement/paint work . . . I no longer dread getting the work done

Guest Sao_Bento
So does the Mocha in CS4 have the roto feature or is it just tracking?

I believe the answer is "just tracking".