Sign in to follow this  
anothername

AE watch folder render, collect files?

Hey so the place I'm working has an AE server/"render farm" set up. Works great but... I am working on a project with a lot of video files in it so when I do my collect files it takes forever to transfer my files over to the server.

The thing is all these files are already backed up on the server, so my question is can I point to this folder as a watch folder? Is there anyway to skip the collect files part of the process if the files are already on the server. In other words the way I'm using it now every time I want to do a new render it retransfers all the files (recollects them all) when to me it seems like there should be a way to reuse the same watch folder if all that's changed is the AEP.

This is my first time using this kind of setup so I am (as usual) probably missing something obvious.

This isn't a solution to your immediate problem but could help in the future . . .

I am guessing that you are working locally for network speed reasons? If this is the case I would recommend in the future leaving all your source material on the server and using local proxies. Essentially point AE to the identical footage stored locally but tell AE to use it as a proxy, this way you will have the speed of working locally but the ability to just hit render and AE will source the files on the server. Just make sure you have "use no proxies" specified in your Render Settings. This way you won't have to collect and copy everytime. This works extremely well for HD footage coming off slow networks.

-m

I had one set up with 5 older g-5s and ran into issues with fonts. I hated it. will probably try again. any suggestions? should i put them all in the local font folder and not use a font management software like suitcase?

That's a good idea mncrnich. Exactly the problem the network I am on is too slow to work off but using proxies should do the trick.

As for the fonts it is a pain to make sure they are installed on all the machines. I haven't had time to fool around with it yet but I figured I could probably create an automator workflow that would install any font needed for a project on all the machines hooked up to the render network.

You still need to go through the 'Collect' dialogue to prepare a watch folder, but you don't need to copy the assets. In the 'Collect' dialogue there is a option that says 'None (Project Only).' This will prepare the watch folder with just the project file still pointing to the original assets.