Sign in to follow this  
jeremyb1981

You didn't actually ask for criticism... you just posted a link.

However, by posting your work in the Showcase section at mograph.net... I'm assuming you're looking for feedback.

If you want it... read on.

---

I know what you're trying to do with the "creative mind" bit, but you could only help yourself by ditching it.

If you're an animator... call yourself an animator.

If you think "creative mind" best describes what you're selling then you're going to need to SHOW a lot more "creative mind" in your reel to convince your audience. As is, your work shows a mid-level proficiency with the tools, but it's very thin on creativity, design, or art direction. Your reel makes you marketable exclusively to television news studios (perhaps the *least* creative division of the motion graphics industry).

It's ok if this is what you got for now... but get your hustle on because this kind of animation will be made by robots in 5 years.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

HOLY SHIT :blink: :blink: :blink:

Creative Mind? I think I just shit myself. Seriously? You have the balls to put that in your post? That's as lame as all those hacks out there that call themselves "filmmakers". Which is one of the most pretentious terms that can only be reserved for people who are clueless. Yet "creative mind" may just take the cake. Even the most talented artist on the planet wouldn't have the nutsack to post that shit about themselves. There was only one Bonham I've ever heard of that deserves that kind of praise and that fool played the skins.

HOLY SHIT :blink: :blink: :blink:

Creative Mind? I think I just shit myself. Seriously? You have the balls to put that in your post? That's as lame as all those hacks out there that call themselves "filmmakers". Which is one of the most pretentious terms that can only be reserved for people who are clueless. Yet "creative mind" may just take the cake. Even the most talented artist on the planet wouldn't have the nutsack to post that shit about themselves. There was only one Bonham I've ever heard of that deserves that kind of praise and that fool played the skins.

damn bro. i think we were all thinking it, but damn! I thought the point of these boards was positive creative criticism. you can still get your point across without being so blatantly harsh. Point being, we all the news is well the "news", it all looks the same. But you don't need to bring someone down for it. If you want to criticize maybe you should start with your own website, it could use a fresh look. don't get me wrong the work is solid, nice Spots, but the site is...not so much. Sorry for having the "NUTSACK" to point it out.

Dang, only 2 posts o' fun before the takedown? :o

Jeremy, here's the explanation: You know, 98% of graphic design is understanding what your intended audience will take from every characteristic of every detail you create in the making of each piece of communication. Touting awards or flatly stating one's own "creative-mindedness" is probably par for the course in the news world, which is a business world, in which there's usually no way to validate or invalidate anyone's claims to awesomeness. But in the actual creative world, the evidence to support or deny such claims is always sitting there right in front of us. So, since we are all the judges of each others' work in this industry, one's claims about their own awesomeness tend to become irrelevant. And you can probably guess then why someone might slap your face for jumping into the ring and seemingly yelling about how great you are.

The old cliche is "Show, don't tell", because the showing is convincing, the telling is just hot air.

As for your reel, Monkey pretty much summed it up. 5 years... then you're making coffee runs for robots.

Seriously! I mean, what did it take to do those helicopter graphics? Render a 3d text bubble and use a one-click tracking solution in after effects? You'll be able to do that with a photoshop action from your phone by 2010. That makes you expendable, and that's dangerous territory, my friend. Right now you're relying on your clients' ignorance of what you do and how you do it to keep you in business, and this is a bad bad time for that strategy. When the economy starts squeezing the people who are ten times as competent as you, they're gonna take your work with no effort whatsoever, so now's the time to bone up as fast as you can. I mean that with all sincerity. Get to it! If you want to be a technician, that's fine, but be a fucking GREAT technician. If you want to be a creative, then you've got a long way to go, but start hauling ass!

Well said, Binky.

damn bro. i think we were all thinking it, but damn! I thought the point of these boards was positive creative criticism. you can still get your point across without being so blatantly harsh. Point being, we all the news is well the "news", it all looks the same. But you don't need to bring someone down for it. If you want to criticize maybe you should start with your own website, it could use a fresh look. don't get me wrong the work is solid, nice Spots, but the site is...not so much.
Thanks for the compliments on the part that I do (directing commercials). I'll relay to the web developer (whom I've never met in person) that you are dissatisfied with his work. I personally agree and have been begging my colleagues to change the site for the last two years but that is irrelevant. As long as my reel still bills 5 Million gross a year, the website can look like whatever it wants to.

But, either way, it's clear you're reaching for something to dis me about. That's fair. If I posted : "Chris Smith , Baddest ass web designer in the fucking world", I may take your point seriously. But I didn't. Nor have I ever done that about my real job (directing commercials). Because at the end of the day , there are a shit load of dudes better at me at directing commercials. And even if I was the best commercial director on the planet, I certainly wouldn't tout myself as such in public with such brazen ignorance. Binky, Monkey, and myself just did Jeremy Bonham Esquire the Third a favor that will not make him NOT look like an arrogant ass when he turns in reels to employers claiming he's "the shit". If you think this forum is about sucking each other's cocks then maybe you should hang out HERE instead. Where they compliment each other all day and don't get anywhere.

Sorry for having the "NUTSACK" to point it out.

Don't flatter yourself. When you show that you have any nut IN your sack then you can claim to do so. Look at my posting history and you'll see that I am one of the most helpful, generous people on this forum (only quoting other people here), but at the same time honest as it gets. I can say that for a lot of other dudes (and Firebetty) here as well. This forum is about reality. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have....

Don't be scared of words. Jeremy is a better person now.

Not trying to dis. And yes some people(Jeremy) need a reality check. You clearly like to watch yourself type and listen to your own rationale and I thank you for putting me in my place. I now bow down to you for all of eternity all knowing 5 million grossing director man. I am clearly not suitable to be in your presence.

If you are a director, why are you on a motion graphics forum?

Edited by b_foote1

Not trying to dis. And yes some people(Jeremy) need a reality check.

So where's the problem?

You clearly like to watch yourself type and listen to your own rationale and I thank you for putting me in my place. I now bow down to you for all of eternity all knowing 5 million grossing director man. I am clearly not suitable to be in your presence.

Went to defensive sarcasm? Ok. ouch. :o

Are you not typing and listening to your own rationale? Isn't that what people do on forums? I'll note that I have not said one negative comment about Jeremy's OR your reel or site. Would you like me to watch your reel and find trite comments to say? I can. So far you have criticized me far more than I have criticized you.

If you are a director, why are you on a motion graphics forum?

Don't you think it would be really lame if I hung out at "Director's forums" (If there were any)?. You'll find that expanding your world view into hobbies and interests outside of your occupation makes you a more rounded person. So by your logic I sure as fuck hope you don't visit forums outside of what ever it is you do to get paid for.

On a side note... The icon I'm using is actually a photograph I took in Florida last year. I plan on selling some of my digital photography in the future. Do you guys have any real feedback for doing that?

I love photography and have been taking gigs and gigs of high res images. Some have turned out well, but as you know you have to take many to just get 1 that is "perfect".

Don't feel bad about having to shoot a lot for the perfect shot. Many times that's par for the course with professionals. A friend of mine has the same interests as you and travels with career photographers as an assistant, but also to shoot his own stuff and he says he learns a ton on each trip. Maybe try something similar if you get a chance.

Here's a page talking about selling your photographs online:

http://www.dphotojournal.com/sell-photos-online/

I dont think you should be that hard on yourself. All you do is news work, so your reel shows news work. All I do is corporate poo so it doesnt look that great either. I think some of your reel has some cool looking stuff in it. I've always enjoyed the insanity of news graphics in some twisted way. My 3 secret goals in life are to be able to make 1. A mogrpah spyware commercial. 2. Crazy 3D news graphics. and 3. Medical animations.....and I dont think there is anything wrong with that! ^_^

Try and get little projects here and there outside of work. Thats what ive been trying to do lately. Take on projects that require you to go outside the box.

Sure , news is news. But I personally give huge credit for the guys doing those graphic packages. They are the only ones doing work that makes that "news" palatable to watch. Many local affiliates just put out garbage. Bad photography and bad journalism. And who makes their image engaging? The humble mograph artist. So I don't think any one is knocking the challenges of making a turd look shiny and fresh. I just think it was in relation to your original syntax with the Creative Mind thing. Because, in the hipness factor in the industry, news is near the bottom. BUT it doesn't take away the credit that the artists deserve for the challenge facing them. You have to credit the soldier in the trenches whether his war is just or not. :)

You'll find that expanding your world view into hobbies and interests outside of your occupation makes you a more rounded person. So by your logic I sure as fuck hope you don't visit forums outside of what ever it is you do to get paid for.

Now that we are all done being douche bags you can feel free to give you opinion on my reel. As far as expanding my interests goes am also an editor (currently working on a show for A&E) and a post facility engineer, setting up edit and GFX systems over fibre networks, wiring tape/control rooms, and implementing proper work flows. (it's a needed break from sitting in front of computers all day). Now i never knocked your work, i actually complimented it. Your DP on the Subaru LL BEAN spot was great and the shots were beautiful.

However, coming to your site for the first time and not knowing the quality of work you do put out, i was thrown by the site right away. that's all i was trying to say. So now that we are all done seeing how many curse words and witty come backs we can use in a single post. my link is below.

REEL POSTING

On a side note... The icon I'm using is actually a photograph I took in Florida last year. I plan on selling some of my digital photography in the future. Do you guys have any real feedback for doing that?

have you got a link to your photos? that avatar photo is awesome

If you think this forum is about sucking each other's cocks then maybe you should hang out HERE instead. Where they compliment each other all day and don't get anywhere.

brilliant

Unfortunately they did not have the plugin for auto tracking so I actually keyframed every step of that :) Keep in mind I was working in 1280x720 59.94fps. I have no problem going old school on a project!

The harsh realities, and I say this as a viewer:

-I don't care. I'm NOT keeping in mind your footage resolution because i don't know anything about that and it doesn't interest me anyway.

-I don't care that you keyframed anything. I don't know what keyframing is.

-If I'd ever stopped to think about it, and I haven't, I'd conclude that the station does all of this stuff by automated computer anyway, and no real human effort is involved.

This is the first huge hurdle that you face. Your tv-viewing audience takes tv for granted. It has likely never occurred to them that people create the network packages and the on-screen graphics and all of that. For the average viewer, it's not even a matter of not caring, they are simply oblivious. This is your audience. They cook dinner and call to their kids while listening to the nightly broadcast with half an ear. Maybe they're lifting a beer and fantasizing about sexing up the anchorwoman. Who knows? The one thing you MUST know is that they do not care.

So how do we deal with that? We start with higher expectations. We start with the expectation that if what we're about to make isn't engaging, compelling, or fascinating enough to ignite some inspiration in the audience, then it's likely to be just another easily dismissed distraction amongst the 5000 other distractions in an average person's day. You have to give people an experience. They'll remember an experience. They won't remember your flying extruded text. They MIGHT remember the gist of the text if it said something important to them ("Free Ferrari to anyone who stops by" or "The universe, it turns out, is a sentient being, you can speak to it, and here's how..."). Whoever they are, you have to speak to them. Communicate with them. Make it a moment of significance. The ability to do this is what differentiates artists from tradespeople and craftsmen.

U.S. news graphics are largely uncompelling, arbitrary, and redundant fluff. In a nation of corporatized journalism and hypereditorial "news" stories, graphics are just heavily dolloped icing on a cake made out of air. It's an arms race of pomp and flash and rockstar sparkle to sell advertising space. It's the anchor team most likely to fuck on camera while tossing to footage of a tanker explosion on the interstate. You have to break yourself of that mentality. Do everything you can to escape that world and invest yourself in more meaningful dialogues with your audience. It's a monumental investment of effort on your part, most likely the greatest investment you've ever made, but if you want to be a "creative", then that's the direction you want to go.

Many local affiliates just put out garbage. Bad photography and bad journalism. And who makes their image engaging? The humble mograph artist.

Let's give credit to the promotion editors too. ;)

Geez, I gotta start reading the Showcase forum again. I'm missing all the drama.

Does the great one never use the "today's active topics" thing at all ;)

Edit: Too many Geezes in one post. I over Geezed it.

Edited by C.Smith

Guest Sao_Bento
Does the great one never use the "today's active topics" thing at all ;)

Edit: Too many Geezes in one post. I over Geezed it.

I'm aware of it, I just avoid the Showcase forum in general.