Sign in to follow this  
iline

B-B-B-BERLIN!!

Hello my beautiful geek chums, and welcome to this week's edition of Eurotrash. My name is Edmund Brown, and having just spent half an hour slagging off London in another thread, I thought I'd mention that I'm moving to Berlin on Tuesday. Woohoo!

So -

What's the deal? My webtrawling has revealed that while Germany has a few renowned studios, they seem to be in Cologne or Hamburg. I don't want the renowned, famous, amazing ones because my reel sucks too much for them to want me - I want the ones I'd need an understanding of German to find on the internet. Which brings me to my second point:

Ich sprechen keine Deutsch.

I'd love it if any German mographers could explain a little about Berlin's graphics industry - as in, where in Berlin the studios are, what salaries are like, whether graphic design studios also use motion artists, freelancing in Berlin (I'm freelance in London) - basically, if any of you in Berlin can be bothered to put up with my questions, I will buy you beer and food for as long as it takes to educate me! I'm in town next week hostelling and zipping about on my track bike, but I need to get clued up on the scene - fast.

Thank you for your support and help and forever insisting that you're better at AE than me - I love you Germany!

Ed

Oh dear.

I can see this thread going much the same way as the one started by bellographix a few topics down.

Fuck it, I might as well choose now to start my career as a dubstep DJ.

Edited by iline

Guest Sao_Bento
Oh dear.

I can see this thread going much the same way as the one started by bellographix a few topics down.

Fuck it, I might as well choose now to start my career as a dubstep DJ.

You have to realize that ZeBrownie is the exception, not the rule. I'm sure some helpful folk will chime in.

Cheers for the tip Harry, Goethe looks just about the most professional language school I've looked at...

I do reckon there's work to be found in Berlin (for the Germans) so I'm getting used to the idea that I'll have to look at it as a launchpad into the rest of mainland Europe.

Thanks guys!

I am from Montreal, and lost my Berlinity 3 months ago.!

There a lot of work around here. It's more small shops that big studio thought. But there's plenty of them, I have the feeling that a new place open every weeks.

There's is also a lot of agencies dealing directly with mograph directors and from what i've saw design studio are also interested in having a mographer on their call list.

So i'm sure you can make a good living, and enjoy this crazy place.

But Rook is right, there is more work outside Berlin in place like Hamburg, Cologne, Munich and Stuttgart. Some of them furnish a shelter for the lenght of the project. I like this opportunity as well.

Drop me a line when you're settled down, i'll show you around. :D

Edited by Kesse

Kesse-

I'm now in my hostel, meeting a few peeps and stuff, not sure whether it's wise to look for an apartment before I know whether I can work here. My reel's kinda shit right now, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's got me plenty of freelance work in London so far. Thanks for offering to show me around, that's an offer I can't refuse! I'm staying in Mitte atm, so I'll IM you once I have zipped about on my bike a bit...

Cheers! Beers for you!

Ed

Did all your London jobs require you to work on site or could you do some work remotely from Berlin?

Compared to other big(ish) cities in Germany Berlin is a rather cheap yet attractive place to live, but there's also less money to be made if you restrict yourself to local on-site freelancing.

Best of luck to you.

Marc (from Berlin)