Sign in to follow this  
ZeBrownie

Obama

Man i remember those years during clintons administration. Yea it was nice being homeless because of his massive military cuts forcing my dad to get out of the military (after 15 years) due to he could not feed us. Man those were great years.

I dont want to sound insensitive, and it sounds like you and your family went through some really tough times, but the military is there to protect the country not supply jobs.

And as it has stood for quite a long time, we have a lot more military than we need to get the job done. Even now, if the pentagon would stop funneling money into high tech, hugely expensive weapons systems that are no longer needed, there would be enough money left for huge military budget cuts as well as money for an increase in personnel and pay increases for those personnel. We need more well paid soldiers, not more billion dollar planes and aircraft carriers.

Clinton made the cuts, but the pentagon was the one who chose the military industrial complex over people.

Finally, someone tells it like it is...

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/10/14/...15gerstein.html

If McCain had not turned his campaign over to Bush's croneys, he wouldn't be having these problems. I have to agree that before the convention (and Palin), I really liked McCain and likely would have voted for him. I believed in his change message then, but I can't believe anything he says now.

Finally, someone tells it like it is...

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/10/14/...15gerstein.html

If McCain had not turned his campaign over to Bush's croneys, he wouldn't be having these problems. I have to agree that before the convention (and Palin), I really liked McCain and likely would have voted for him. I believed in his change message then, but I can't believe anything he says now.

Change message before Palin? He ganked that shit!

Joe the Plumber '08!

Joe you're rich!

. . . the military is there to protect the country not supply jobs.

The military is there as primarily as a tool of foreign policy (no-one is going to launch an full-frontal assault on the US; the strength of the US armed forces far exceeds that need to defend the homeland against any aggressor) and as an industry that employs millions outside of the armed services, so part of it's purpose certainly is to supply jobs.

The military is there as primarily as a tool of foreign policy (no-one is going to launch an full-frontal assault on the US; the strength of the US armed forces far exceeds that need to defend the homeland against any aggressor) and as an industry that employs millions outside of the armed services, so part of it's purpose certainly is to supply jobs.

agreed...not only the boots on the ground, but all the contractors back home making bullets, BDUs, helicopter parts and plastic mess hall trays.

unless it's all being made in China <_<

It certainly has become an industry of its own as well as an, incredibly unsubtle, tool of foreign policy. Perhaps what Faustfire meant was that this was not the original goal or purpose for America's army. Our founding fathers would be ashamed to see the way we wield our military as a substitute for diplomacy and, more importantly, as a means of involving ourselves in "entangling alliances". It's a shitty thing that soldiers are not being adequately equipped, compensated, and taken care of, but it's even shittier that so many young men and women are being promised wonderful careers in an organization that cannot, and arguably should not try to, provide said career opportunities.

I'm sure you guys all know the quote:

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Dwight D. Eisenhower - Farewell Address to the Nation on January 17, 1961

I guess no-one was listening

Dwight D. Eisenhower - Farewell Address to the Nation on January 17, 1961

I've played Civilization enough to know that the development of the Corporation and subsequent Military-Industrial Complex is all you need to secure an easy domination victory. The cost to build Tanks and Bombers drops through the floor and nobody's stoppin 20 fleets of bombers and panzer tanks.

-m

for me the 2 scary associates of obama are not ayers, but rockefeller and brzezinski

that said he's the obvious choice, given the current line-up

i lost a little faith though through these debates, obama going through the same now-stale speech bullet points rather than making an inspiring commentary about the financial system and giving us some faith in the future

he deserved to get elected, but will probably be left holding the bag on the coming depression and continued war (which he is all for in the case of our former partner in the 'war on terror' pakistan)

at the gym yesterday, the smug smirks on both of them showed a lot of ego

but mccain is a fool, an ambitious sellout, and a sucky pilot

obama '08!!

no doubt son, let us not forgot the rush to the pumps of the 70s and Iran-Contra. This is not the first time presidential candidates (and elects) have waxed poetic on energy independence from them wicked terrorists.

Edited by mete_shop

Guest Sao_Bento

The footage of McCain at the Alfred E. Smith roast thing made him seem like a real human being again. I damn near thought he was going to concede the election right there.