Sign in to follow this  
docphibs

collapse transformations question!!!

I keep running into this problem... and i'm not sure why it is this way...

Why when you precomp a shit ton of layers with different layer modes... and then collapse the transformation on that precomp... and THEN apply an alpha mask or any kind of effect... that the layer modes go to shit... Is there hopefully a magical setting i've been missing? Or is this just a limitation of AE that... should logically get fixed.

Why when you precomp a shit ton of layers with different layer modes... and then collapse the transformation on that precomp... and THEN apply an alpha mask or any kind of effect... that the layer modes go to shit... Is there hopefully a magical setting i've been missing? Or is this just a limitation of AE that... should logically get fixed.

It seems that you're describing a limitation of the render order as described toward the end of the "Render order and collapsed transformations" section of After Effects Help.

Let me know if that page doesn't help you to figure out how to reorganize things to get the result that you want.

Yes, this is one of the trickiest parts of working with After Effects. Chris and Trish Meyer do a pretty good job of explaining these render order issues and workarounds for them in their _Creating Motion Graphics_ books.

It seems that you're describing a limitation of the render order as described toward the end of the "Render order and collapsed transformations" section of After Effects Help.

Let me know if that page doesn't help you to figure out how to reorganize things to get the result that you want.

Yes, this is one of the trickiest parts of working with After Effects. Chris and Trish Meyer do a pretty good job of explaining these render order issues and workarounds for them in their _Creating Motion Graphics_ books.

thanks dude

and yea i read through this doc when i was trying to figure out what the deal was. I can explain the problem i had the other day briefly.

I had a few passes from cinema4d for occlusion - which is just a full image of white and black with no alpha... and i turn the layer mode to multiply. I had a situation where i wanted to precomp all of my passes so i could put an effect on them... and NOT effect layers that were below these renders. So I precomped my renders and of course the layer modes wouldn't be read until i checked the collapse transformations. So I check that. But now I am in a situation where I cannot put an effect or any kind of mask on that comp without the collapse transformations breaking. I could simply have made a adjustment layer within that comp and done my effects there, but then that would also effect the layers that were below my precomp. And I guess there are work arounds which are - start making your own masks and such...

I'm sure mass peeps on this board use c4d - and if im sure everyone uses occlusion hahaha. So... anyone else ever run into this problem? My only solution that keeps me from banging my head on the wall is keeping all of my occlusion passes in the ROOT comp or in some cases some. The comparison to this is in photoshop... you can set the folder to "pass through" or "normal"... but if you have it on normal... all of the layer modes still pass through outside the folder, while the adjustment layers do not. Why can't that be the same in after effects?

'wimper' :(

i hope there is a super easy bonehead solution that i never realized.

I just asked Focal Press to post a free copy of the chapter in the Meyers' book about this topic. Here's a link. The second half of the chapter gets into the workarounds.

I just asked Focal Press to post a free copy of the chapter in the Meyers' book about this topic. Here's a link. The second half of the chapter gets into the workarounds.

thanks so much for the quick response and that chapter you were able to have them post up - very appreciated... but i still do not see a solution to the issue i run into.

:(

If it's really just for the AO pass, then simply unmultiply it --> Invert --> Shift Channel, based on lightness or Luminance --> Invert back. For the rest - to manipulate the opacity of a pixel you need to know its final composite color. For nested blending modes to remain intact, you would have to virtually duplicate the matte channel and apply it to each element separately, which is a commodity AE does not provide. The result would be different, anyways, so you'd have to adjust the nested layers. Maybe some day it will change...

Mylenium

Link brokee. :(

Oops.

Yes, soon after Focal Press posted that document, they took it down. Apparently, they're still getting the hang of this publishing excerpts on the Web thing.

I'm as disappointed as you are.