Sign in to follow this  
jazman

Joe The Plumber?

Hmm you just put yourself on a pedestal.

Being an Atheist = rebellion? Against what? A man made religion that's FACTUALLY only about 2,000 years old?

You're a funny dude, Anthony.

Just keep on believing in Santa.....maybe one day he will ACTUALLY fit his fat ass through the chimney and bring you presents....wait, what if you live in an apartment and DON'T have a chimney? What if he breaks my window and enters through it? Isn't that technically breaking and entering? Oh here I go again rebelling....sorry about that.

Pedestal? Might I remind you that over the length of this topic I've been respectful....i never called you (or anyone else) nuts or crazy for what you believe in. I never said you were illogical, uneducated or slow. Infact....I know that most of you are all talented and extremely articulate. I admire your work and knowledge in the area of which this forum is built.

Nonetheless, in the area of Christians....alot of you are prejudice and jump to conclusions. The belief in God is foolish and everything is a fairy tale. That we are all Bible quoting idiotic maniacs (hense the trading spouses video numerous times). That you are far superior intellectually because you learned and read some bullshit science theory that states my morality evolved over time. Read this book, get off your lazy ass and do the work! (maybe if I read it I'd believe too right? Would it make me smarter, can I join MENSA?!!!) I never claimed to be a great quick witted debater, but for some reason the atoms and neutrons in my head rubbed together like magic and gave me the gift of rational thought.....those atoms told me it's ok to believe in God and not to be afraid of him. That I have that right to do so. That maybe a different point of view on this topic would help.

Is it too hard to ask an atheist to have an open mind when it comes to other peoples beliefs? or as soon as someone says "I believe" do you roll your eyes? It's funny because I actually know people like this.....so i'm not talking out of my ass when I say this:

You want to be left alone and not to be bothered, You want equality and understanding, you want to be thought of as smarter, but all you have to hear are the words God, Bible or Jesus and you freak.

anyways....the only truth on this is what I said earlier....we all have a choice...to believe or not to. Other than that were all crazy.

Pedestal? Might I remind you that over the length of this topic I've been respectful....i never called you (or anyone else) nuts or crazy for what you believe in. I never said you were illogical, uneducated or slow. Infact....I know that most of you are all talented and extremely articulate. I admire your work and knowledge in the area of which this forum is built.

Nonetheless, in the area of Christians....alot of you are prejudice and jump to conclusions. The belief in God is foolish and everything is a fairy tale. That we are all Bible quoting idiotic maniacs (hense the trading spouses video numerous times). That you are far superior intellectually because you learned and read some bullshit science theory that states my morality evolved over time. Read this book, get off your lazy ass and do the work! (maybe if I read it I'd believe too right? Would it make me smarter, can I join MENSA?!!!) I never claimed to be a great quick witted debater, but for some reason the atoms and neutrons in my head rubbed together like magic and gave me the gift of rational thought.....those atoms told me it's ok to believe in God and not to be afraid of him. That I have that right to do so. That maybe a different point of view on this topic would help.

Is it too hard to ask an atheist to have an open mind when it comes to other peoples beliefs? or as soon as someone says "I believe" do you roll your eyes? It's funny because I actually know people like this.....so i'm not talking out of my ass when I say this:

You want to be left alone and not to be bothered, You want equality and understanding, you want to be thought of as smarter, but all you have to hear are the words God, Bible or Jesus and you freak.

anyways....the only truth on this is what I said earlier....we all have a choice...to believe or not to. Other than that were all crazy.

And that should wrap up this thread. Thanks everyone for playing.

roll credits......

Guest Sao_Bento
And that should wrap up this thread. Thanks everyone for playing.

roll credits......

blam.gif

I pray to the invisible man upstairs for making sure Obama won! THANK YOU KIND SIR! :P

Did you guys see Joe the Plumber getting attacked by a plunger by some random dude (rofl)? They showed it on TV, I wish I had a link to it.

And one of them is right. Just because there are two sides doesn't mean they both have equal weight. One is marked by reason and careful thought. The other blind faith and willful ignorance. One side is claiming to have all the answers. The other makes no such pretense.

The answer may well be somewhere in between the two points, but only one of the two philosophies articulated could possibly reconcile such a realization. We are spiritual creatures. But organized religion doesn't know jack shit. And the answers are probably too "gray area" and cognitive dissonance-inducing for a follower of blind faith. And science doesn't have to be in opposition to religion. It's the dogmatic literalists like the Fundamentalist Christians and Fundamentalist Muslims who are too narrow-minded to see that believing in things like evolution, the big bang, and dinosaurs (for fuck's sake) and believing in a higher power are not mutually exclusive.

Psychobabble is ok if you're talking about psychos. Go see Religulous.

The point I was trying to make was dogma is wrong no matter where it comes from. If it's a choice between reason and faith I'll take reason. But there is an attitude among many Atheists in this thread that they are right because they use Reason. "Reason is right because we can prove it with Reason" is not too different from "The Bible is right because the Bible says so." I'm use to that attitude from the faith crowd. When I hear it from Athethists (of which I am one) it's a bit disappointing.

And I don't go to see films to learn. You should really read.

Guest Sao_Bento
"Reason is right because we can prove it with Reason" is not too different from "The Bible is right because the Bible says so."

If you're equating reason with science, the two positions (reason vs biblical literalism) are very different in that one of them provides repeatable observable results that can be used to make technological progress - things like cure diseases, clean water, developing medical techniques that save lives, and many other very real, measurable results. The other position may provide some direction on general ways in which to lead to lead your life, but is completely subjective and completely lacking in it's ability to universally improve people's lives. That's far from equivalency.

Science is a tool that provides an answer. The answer is without moral implications. The Bible provides one foundation for making moral judgements. The two things are completely independent. Everyone benefits from the first one. The second one is just one choice of many such works of guidance. They are not competing concepts, except when someone goes out of their way to make them so. Generally speaking, those people know very little about science or other religions and are just parroting what they were taught by their parents, and what was reinforced by their communities. It's fine to believe that in your head, or get together at church and restate it. The problem comes when you overstep your boundaries by trying to push those views on other people (i.e. Bush, Sarah Palin). Then they are stunned to be called out and questioned on the thing they have spent so much time internalizing and conforming to, which is why they feel persecuted. In response they become even more extreme in their views, thus appearing even more irrational to the outside world and becoming even more isolated. In the case of extremists, be they christian sects or Islamists, eventually they become so frustrated with the idea of their alienation that they eventually act out violently in a quest for identity.

If you're equating reason with science, the two positions (reason vs biblical literalism) are very different in that one of them provides repeatable observable results that can be used to make technological progress - things like cure diseases, clean water, developing medical techniques that save lives, and many other very real, measurable results. The other position may provide some direction on general ways in which to lead to lead your life, but is completely subjective and completely lacking in it's ability to universally improve people's lives. That's far from equivalency.

Science is a tool that provides an answer. The answer is without moral implications. The Bible provides one foundation for making moral judgements. The two things are completely independent. Everyone benefits from the first one. The second one is just one choice of many such works of guidance. They are not competing concepts, except when someone goes out of their way to make them so. Generally speaking, those people know very little about science or other religions and are just parroting what they were taught by their parents, and what was reinforced by their communities. It's fine to believe that in your head, or get together at church and restate it. The problem comes when you overstep your boundaries by trying to push those views on other people (i.e. Bush, Sarah Palin). Then they are stunned to be called out and questioned on the thing they have spent so much time internalizing and conforming to, which is why they feel persecuted. In response they become even more extreme in their views, thus appearing even more irrational to the outside world and becoming even more isolated. In the case of extremists, be they christian sects or Islamists, eventually they become so frustrated with the idea of their alienation that they eventually act out violently in a quest for identity.

I totally agree with that. They aren't equivalant. They serve a different purpose. Darwin was a Christian and a Scientist. Who would try to tell him the Bible is wrong because evolution proves it wrong. Or evoultion is wrong because it contradicts the Bible. He must have studied both and found no conflict that made him accept one and reject the other.

Obama is a Christain. I'm not going to write him off as a loony tune. Bush was a Christian too. I do write him off as a loony tune. It's not a case of the Bible being right or wrong. It's comes down to the person interpreting it. Science is easier. It is black and white.

I sound like a fucking care bear. I'm going quit now.

I think this thread deserves to die. No pun. :D

I wonder if Heaven has a message board!? lol

"It's not a case of the Bible being right or wrong. It's comes down to the person interpreting it. Science is easier. It is black and white."

I agree...although people can do the same w/ Science. It's not all black and white....there are some gray areas.

Edited by anthonyc

i got a new lcd tv a few weeks ago....and I bought a mount so I could throw it up on the wall......in the warranty information it said it wasn't covered by Acts of God, such as lightning strikes. So it must be true! lol.