Sign in to follow this  
jazman

Joe The Plumber?

HOW DARE YOU SQUID BRAINS SAY JESUS ISN'T REAL!!! DIDN'T YOU SEE MY ROLLING STONE COVER???

imageNYET13401241959.jpg

HERE I AM STANDING RITE IN FRONT OF U AND U PRETEDN I DON'T EVEN EXIST?!?!?!!!! WHY IS EVERYONE ALWES TRYING TO KEEP ME DOWN!???!!!!!!

vomitinghv9.th.jpg

haha yeah this thread sucks

hitchens is an arrogant bastard. true, and he was dead wrong about the war, and double wrong for being a stooge going around in support of it.

disliked him at that time, but just got around to reading his book on religion, and i do think it brings up some issues that orthodox believers (XXX holy book is the word of god) might have trouble answering. have you read it yet? (in spite of hitchens douchebaggery)

no i haven't read his book. I've seen quite a few debates with him....he is extremely smart and quick witted, but to me when he spurts off on religion it's just his biased opinion. He's rationalizing his experiences to discredit what he doesn't believe in, which is fine...but It's his manner and arrogance that rubs me the wrong way.

i didnt want to hujack the starglow presets thread, which ultimaely got funny outside of people bringing jesus into it, but seriously every day i am in awe of the bizarro mental universe of joe the plumbers of the world. i guess maybe i felt like bringing back joe the plumber as a receptacle for some of my readings of hitchens, harris etc about God. now that its back though...

Edited by mintyfresh

i gotta admit.....since this thread came out over a year ago, i've done nothing but read and learn about the exact opposite mintyfresh. I went in a search to gain more knowledge about my faith and what i believe in. There were so many questions I couldn't answer and prob a few I still can't answer, but and i'm appreciative towards this whole experience because it has strengthened everything i believe in.

Mintyfresh we could converse more here if you want but i dunno how it will go over since this topic is so hated, or you could pm me too. I am sorta obsessed with all this stuff now as well lol.

i gotta admit.....since this thread came out over a year ago, i've done nothing but read and learn about the exact opposite mintyfresh. I went in a search to gain more knowledge about my faith and what i believe in. There were so many questions I couldn't answer and prob a few I still can't answer, but and i'm appreciative towards this whole experience because it has strengthened everything i believe in.

Mintyfresh we could converse more here if you want but i dunno how it will go over since this topic is so hated, or you could pm me too. I am sorta obsessed with all this stuff now as well lol.

As much as I used to love arguing religion for sport as a teenager staying up all night on coffee, The OG 'joe' thread was my swansong. I think 'faith' people and 'evidence' people just simply see the world from two different views. Two different forms of brain wirings and never the 'tween shall meet. Each side sees it clearly their way and probably will until they die. SO, unless folks are ready to jump back into the same topic that is on every other forum on the planet at some point (or daily on at least one digg.com article), I don't predict Joe will live again.

Especially since this forum has been almost dead in the last 4 months or so.

Or just Minty and Anthony can re-start her up since they seem rarin' to go, and maybe someone will jump in :) But if that happens I predict that any new posts will be re-hashing the same shit that was already said on the 18-some-odd pages that precede the new comments.

As much as I used to love arguing religion for sport as a teenager staying up all night on coffee, The OG 'joe' thread was my swansong. I think 'faith' people and 'evidence' people just simply see the world from two different views. Two different forms of brain wirings and never the 'tween shall meet. Each side sees it clearly their way and probably will until they die. SO, unless folks are ready to jump back into the same topic that is on every other forum on the planet at some point (or daily on at least one digg.com article), I don't predict Joe will live again.

Especially since this forum has been almost dead in the last 4 months or so.

Or just Minty and Anthony can re-start her up since they seem rarin' to go, and maybe someone will jump in :) But if that happens I predict that any new posts will be re-hashing the same shit that was already said on the 18-some-odd pages that precede the new comments.

hahaha

joe will always live on, if only as a reminder of this very gap. there was lots of talking and very little change in people understandings in the past 18 pages of it though.

still, i'm just wowed out how much importance faith is given in our culture, when it is so obviously in the eye of the beholder, yet capable of giving divine justification to everything from good benevolant (sometimes self aggrandizing) behavior to things inspired by the straight up violent and tribal quotations in the bible and the quran. this bronze age writing obviously to me is just so obviously lacking in intelligent design, and yet is a huge influence to the point of factoring into the nuclear power balance.

i agree though chris, the twain does not seem likely to meet (in this thread at least).

hmm. I see the opposite. Religious faith is extremely important, although you may not see it. Look at how this country from the earliest beginings was shaped by those who had faith. We live in a democracy where we can choose what job we want, where all men are equal, or any of the Rights we have here in America...as well as peace and compassion. I read things in the Bible from time to time, believe me i'm not Bible Scholar by any means but Old Testamant writings can be taken out of context....

I'm a little lost with your comments regarding the nuclear power balance and where faith has done wrong there, could you elaborate?

(from reading past pages in this thread I'm interested in where people who brought up that Christianity was just plagiarized from earlier ancient religions received this information.)

Edited by anthonyc