2. "Spread the wealth around"

3. "Creationism"

4. "Evolution"

5. "Jazman"

6. "Obamessiah"

7. "God"

8. "Fox News"

9. "Faith"

10. "fartknocker" (I don't think it's been said on this thread yet, but I'm already sick of it.)

Edited by Firebetty

Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul. --Psalm 66:16

I can't speak for anyone else here, but as a guy who was scripturally "saved" or "born again" (or whatever ecclesiastical tag you want to attach to it) about ten years ago, God has truly shown Himself in my life both before and after I became a Christian. The litany of prayers answered in my life and the life of my two little boys is beyond any coincidence or earthly explanation. For instance, we had complications with the pregnancy of my little 1-yr old that would have sent lots of women running for an abortion doctor, yet our prayers were answered when the condition reversed itself and stumped our doctors. I'm not talking about wacko "laying on of hands" or other counterfeit stuff; just answered prayer. And that's just one instance.

I believe the Bible and everything in it, literally. Sadly it's the most cherry-picked book out there, but it also has more enemies than any other book. I believe it explains and defines itself, and when read with discernment is quite clear while amazingly deep. I believe when it says that God is pure and just. I believe when it says that nobody is without sin, and therefore none are fit to dwell with Him in heaven. I also believe in Jesus, that he paid the debt for my sin, and I trust the Bible when it says that only my faith in Jesus will justify me in God's eyes, not any works or deeds that I could do of my own imagined "goodness." That's the gospel, plain and simple.

Another quick thought, and this is off the top of my head, some question earlier in this thread about Jesus' lineage. The Bible indicates that sin travels in the lineage of the father. As I recall, the lineage of David traces to Joseph through Solomon, and to Mary through Nathan. In the line of Solomon, a man named Jeconiah angers God and is cursed that "no man of his seed" will sit on the Throne of David (ie, the Christ), mentioned somewhere in Jeremiah 22 or so. That is true; Joseph was not Jesus' father because of the virgin birth. Being not only God manifest on earth, but as the Son of God, that is how Jesus was sinless as well.

Back to the point, most people don't grasp the things of God because they're not spiritually minded and instead full of their own wisdom. Like the tired cliche' goes, if you don't believe in God you'll believe in anything. Even a Barack Obama, I suppose.

So what did this have to do with Joe the Plumber?

Another quick thought, and this is off the top of my head, some question earlier in this thread about Jesus' lineage. The Bible indicates that sin travels in the lineage of the father. As I recall, the lineage of David traces to Joseph through Solomon, and to Mary through Nathan.

Read your Bible man:

Luke says that Joseph is descended from Nathan. Matthew says Joseph is descended from Solomon. They are both clear and cannot both be correct. If try to avoid this problem by saying that Luke is talking about Mary you are lying about the Word of God (which sounds pretty sinful to me)

(Luke 3,23)

Joseph,

the son of Heli, the son of Matthat,

the son of Levi, the son of Melki,

the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,

the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos,

the son of Nahum, the son of Esli,

the son of Naggai, the son of Maath,

the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein,

the son of Josech, the son of Joda,

the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa,

the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel,

the son of Neri, the son of Melki,

the son of Addi, the son of Cosam,

the son of Elmadam, the son of Er,

the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer,

the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat,

the son of Levi, the son of Simeon,

the son of Judah, the son of Joseph,

the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim,

the son of Melea, the son of Menna,

the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan,

Edited by basilisk

(By the way, I should point out that I DID go to church today to check it out for the first time in years. A closed mind on either side of the fence is ignorance, but I'm still waiting for some evidence. With science we judge all theories based on proof and evidence. With religion the jury is out before listening to a single shred of evidence.)

For some of us Jesus is all the evidence we need.

Read your Bible man:

Luke says that Joseph is descended from Nathan. Matthew says Joseph is descended from Solomon. They are both clear and cannot both be correct. If try to avoid this problem by saying that Luke is talking about Mary you are lying about the Word of God (which sounds pretty sinful to me)

Actually, Jacob "begat" Joseph. The relationship to Heli was as a son, but a son-in-law. It's Mary's genealogy.

Cf

Like the tired cliche' goes, if you don't believe in God you'll believe in anything.

I have never heard that one. The logic of it has me a bit perplexed ;) Maybe it's a cliché within the inner circle.

But I'm sure you can respect that coming from an outsider it sounds like, "If you don't believe in dragons, you'll believe in anything".

nonsense, that article was published today according to my faithful interpretation of the time-space continuum. and nothing you say will make me change my mind! :P

that was a digg joke.

Actually, Jacob "begat" Joseph. The relationship to Heli was as a son, but a son-in-law. It's Mary's genealogy.

Cf

There is no getting round this one Clint. Begat means "to father" or "to sire".

There is absolutely nothing about Mary's father or Joseph's father in law.

Matthew 1:16

And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Luke 3:23

And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli

Which bit do you not understand?

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” -- Albert Camus

Religion© - Playin' it safe since 3000 B.C!

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” -- Albert Camus

Live your life as a Protestant and then find because you weren't baptised as a Catholic you don't get let in to heaven.

What about Allah or יהוה

or Krishna or Buddha or Prince Phillip

Pascal's wager was all very well in 17th century France, where everyone was a Catholic, but it doesn't really make sense in a world where no religion has more than a third of the world's population as adherents

Live your life as a Protestant and then find because you weren't baptised as a Catholic you don't get let in to heaven.

What about Allah or יהוה

or Krishna or Buddha or Prince Phillip

Pascal's wager was all very well in 17th century France, where everyone was a Catholic, but it doesn't really make sense in a world where no religion has more than a third of the world's population as adherents

Damnit. You beat me to Pascal's wager :)