Sign in to follow this  
adam_etypical

I am mentally retarded...

So I have a fairly new 8-core Mac Pro. I put 10GBs of RAM in it when I first got it. Recently I thought to myself: you know, AE isn't rendering THAT much faster then it did before on my piece of shit PC. So I did some research and discovered a little button called RENDER MULTIPLE FRAMES SIMULTANEOUSLY. :blink: Jesus, I'm retarded. As I never had a multi-processor before, I didn't even know about this preference. My render speed was more then tripled.

So now that I've confirmed that I'm a total tool, is there anything else that I might be missing that can help my machine move a little quicker?

I think my Memory and Cache is set at defaults: 120% Maximum Usage and 60% on RAM cache size. If anyone can tell me what my optimal settings should be I would be forever grateful. I feel sick every time I think about how many months I've wasted sitting at this lighting fast machine and only rendering one frame at a time...

Thanks in advance!

when you start a render, hit "caps lock". it disables your preview window and saves your computer a little bit of work since it doesnt have to render the frame in the viewer to show and render the frame to your hard drive. Wont save you a ton of time, but it helps.

So now that I've confirmed that I'm a total tool, is there anything else that I might be missing that can help my machine move a little quicker?

You could reduce the RAM usage to 30% or even 20%. This might make AE allocate smaller chunks to each render process and, depending how efficiently each frame renders, may provide a few percent speed gain in sections where not much is going on and AE can chew through frames quickly. But then again it might not have any practical influence. Unfortunately the program has pretty much its own mind based on its internal algorithm, so influence is limited.

Mylenium

I'd start with the "Improve performance" section of After Effects Help on the Web.

And here's a link to the CS3 version.

Edited by Todd Kopriva

First of all increase your Ram!

for a 8-core beast you need at least 16 gb of ram.

Every instance will flood 2Gigs of ram

better: 24 GB but then it will fly...