Sign in to follow this  
JimJam

100% After Effects

Hi all, this is my first post on here so please be gentle. ;)

I was just wondering if there are many other people out there who have noticed that with the introduction of Shape Layers in After Effects it is quite possible to create pieces that are entirely built in After Effects? By that I mean not using any source footage or images created from other software packages. Literally starting and ending the whole thing using After Effects.

This is not something I have deliberately set out to do. It's just that I have noticed a couple of pieces I have made recently I have gone down this route. This one here being my last example: Hard As Snails promo

I was just wondering if anyone else has found this or would like to share other examples of 100% After Effects pieces.

Thanks,

Guest Sao_Bento
Hi all, this is my first post on here so please be gentle. ;)

I was just wondering if there are many other people out there who have noticed that with the introduction of Shape Layers in After Effects it is quite possible to create pieces that are entirely built in After Effects? By that I mean not using any source footage or images created from other software packages. Literally starting and ending the whole thing using After Effects.

This is not something I have deliberately set out to do. It's just that I have noticed a couple of pieces I have made recently I have gone down this route. This one here being my last example: Hard As Snails promo

I was just wondering if anyone else has found this or would like to share other examples of 100% After Effects pieces.

Thanks,

It's an interesting concept for contests and things like that, but I'd say that it's unusual for people to document what source footage was used unless it's for a novelty reason, like saying that something was made completely in AE with no source footage. I happen to know that "the owl" - on this site (http://www.emmanuelho.com), was done with nothing but AE, as are almost all the CurrentTV promos you can see there.

It's true that shape layers are incredibly powerful -the core of Illustrator's engine + a great animation model- and I did indeed make a ton of projects using only vector shapes. It's mind-blowing. No other dynamic media app offers this depth in terms of having an animating multiple appearances, deeply nested object hierarchies, etc.

That said, I feel that because of this, Illustrator should work harder to earn its' place in the Adobe video suite. On one hand, getting AI and a bunch of other apps for the price of AE + PS is nice. But on the other hand, AI feels a bit like an uninvited in Production Premium. I don't think it's talking to AE in a modern way.

So, rather than pass on Illustrator, I'd want AI to communicate better with AE. I really would like to import AI layes as shape layers, with editable paths, appearances and vector effects. I really would like the ability to copy AI artwork and paste it into AE while keeping appearances editables.

Bringing AI layered documents as layered comps to AE with blend modes and opacity could have been great five years ago, and its' of course better than what anybody else can do with Illustrator files, but it's just not the way people work with Illustrator and vector art in general. And shape layers would alllow all kind of cool things if you could bring them in such a way.

It's an interesting concept for contests and things like that, but I'd say that it's unusual for people to document what source footage was used unless it's for a novelty reason, like saying that something was made completely in AE with no source footage. I happen to know that "the owl" - on this site (http://www.emmanuelho.com), was done with nothing but AE, as are almost all the CurrentTV promos you can see there.

Thanks for that link Sao, some very nice stuff on there.

Yeah I agree that doing a project entirely in After Effects does have a whiff of 'novelty value' about it. That said, I think that the Shape Layers are such a powerful tool and I hope we're only seeing the start of them. I think there is potential there for Adobe to create some amazing tools with them.

Thanks for that link Sao, some very nice stuff on there.

Yeah I agree that doing a project entirely in After Effects does have a whiff of 'novelty value' about it. That said, I think that the Shape Layers are such a powerful tool and I hope we're only seeing the start of them. I think there is potential there for Adobe to create some amazing tools with them.

Well, in AE CS4 you have the new Wiggle Transforms path effect, which lets you wiggle the transforms (duh!) of actual and virtual (repeated) copies. It's really cool. Also, shape layers are now 32 bpc capable, which will let you do very cool things with overbright values in those gradient stops. Having the AI appearances engine working in 32 bpc is nothing short of amazing.

Well, in AE CS4 you have the new Wiggle Transforms path effect, which lets you wiggle the transforms (duh!) of actual and virtual (repeated) copies. It's really cool. Also, shape layers are now 32 bpc capable, which will let you do very cool things with overbright values in those gradient stops. Having the AI appearances engine working in 32 bpc is nothing short of amazing.

wow,

...must...

...get...

...cs4...

;)