Sign in to follow this  
TheDirtSyndicate

TheDirtSyndicate - website and reel

www.thedirtsyndicate.org

check it out, let me know what you guys think.

i've currently got a list of things i'm planning on changing soon, so if you guys have any ideas throw em at me.

btw, admin, could i get my username changed to TheDirtSyndicate ?

oh yeah, forgot to mention:

i was at belief for the past five years. just went freelance.

:D

Edited by complete2

Lots of obviously great, great stuff in there, but the intro - I'd reconsider it. Also, the reel seems excessively long (even for someone who's worked at such a cool place like Belief). I'd cut out about a minute, if possible.

As far as the website is concerned, I'd lose the splash page.

thanks for the input

i was already planning on doing something different with the splash. like maybe do 10 different splash pages and have them cycle through on a refresh.

or maybe just do a different splash per week, then add a new section on the site "splash pages"

or like you said, get rid of it completely. haha

:D

thanks again

Make a hundred splash pages, shrink them down onto a 10x10 grid, and blink them on one at a time, 30 times a second. Only the currently visible splash serves as an entry button, so it's like a game of whack-a-mole, except 1000 times more frustrating.

In reality, you might consider cutting back on some of the content. You're sort of throwing the kitchen sink at the problem, and that's causing the problem to break and spray everyone with muck. Time to weed out some of the lesser projects. When you do that, your reel will probably feel a little more consistent. And if you do the same with your site, you probably won't have to have a contrived organization scheme that sorts stuff into arbitrary categories like "design concepts" and "vector sketchbook" vs. "sketchbook". The category names aren't really telling me anything useful.

Make a hundred splash pages, shrink them down onto a 10x10 grid, and blink them on one at a time, 30 times a second. Only the currently visible splash serves as an entry button, so it's like a game of whack-a-mole, except 1000 times more frustrating.

Is it wrong that this actually appeals to the MMORPG player in me?

There's some really good work in your reel, complete2...and bafflingly, also a lot of stuff that should just be cut entirely. The editing also needs a lot of work. It's pretty uneven, but in general the cuts need to be shorter and quicker, leave me wanting more, etc.

Also, I guess no one else sat through it to the end? Because the outro...just no. Not only is it unprofessional, but c'mon, you've got spots for Lexus on your reel. LEXUS! PUNK ROCK! FUCK YEAH! doesn't work for me.

But to end on a positive note: your sketchbook is awesome. You have some mad drawing and painting skillz, dude. Props.

Also, I guess no one else sat through it to the end? Because the outro...just no. Not only is it unprofessional, but c'mon, you've got spots for Lexus on your reel. LEXUS! PUNK ROCK! FUCK YEAH! doesn't work for me.

i agree and disagree here. it doesnt matter if youre a punk and have lexus in your shit. i have lexus in my portfolio and lots of punk rock shit scattered throughout, i sold out a long time ago. you leave your soul at the door in advertising, unless youre religious. then youre selective about how much you want to sell your soul for.

but yea, is that a self portrait at the end? if so, it needs to go. shorten your reel. i really got tired half way through. if you tighten everything up, it will become more engaging for sure.

keep on keepin on.

ryan