Sign in to follow this  
Duder

Compressor

Is it only me who hates Compressor? Why is it so slow? Compressing H.264 takes longer than it would exporting directly from QuickTime. Not to mention the quirky interface. I think I have a fast machine (8 Core X 3.2Ghz, 10GB RAM).

Is Squeeze the only other option I have? It's expensive :(

Edited by Havok.Dzn

if you set up a virtual cluster in your machine, compressor goes a lot faster.

http://www.benscottproductions.com/etc/Virtual_Clusters.html

its a tiny bit of a pain to set up, but once its working, its a sight to behold.

Whoa, Thanks! Never knew about this!

This is going to save me a bunch on my car insurance! :lol:

I'm also glad that this thread helped a few others too.

Thanks again! Going to give it a go .

I've noticed, and I'm not saying I set it up correctly, that setting up multiple instances in your cluster doesn't really save much time (if any) after the eight pieces are assembled into one final encoded file. But I only messed with it a couple of times before just running the virtual cluster with one instance.

I had a ton of hassles with it on my new Octo at first, but it seems to be working out okay now. A few times background processing has hung up and I've had to go into /var/spool/qmaster and clean out the hung jobs. The interface sure could use some work, I think it's devolved since the early days.

We still do some MPEG-1 for CD-ROMs destined for people whose poverty means they likely have OLD computers, I just run the Tsunami MPEG encoder in XP on my Octo using Parallels. Holy crap does that thing fly on a Mac!

We do our WMV encoding with Flip4Mac but I'd like to see how Windows Media Encoder does thru Parallels. The only problem is that it doesn't interpret Quicktimes properly (even though the VM software tries) and I hate making big AVIs.

Cf

Just an update on this...a 2 hour batch took about 30 minutes now!

Thanks lanfreeze!

On a side note, does anyone know how to change the metadata on Windows Media files without opening them in Windows and accessing it's properties?

Edited by Havok.Dzn