Sign in to follow this  
ianfreeze

Blender Tutorials

Thanks, this looks great.

I believe Blender can be quite powerful. Only the interface sucks. From time to time I give it a try and then give up, feeling all frustrated.

in that case www.blenderunderground.com is for you. it's an aquired taste (and staffed by enthusiasts rather than $100,000 a year pros :lol:) but the video tutorials are widely accepted as some of the best on the whole wide interwebnet. Plus there's a great community!

Dan

did know about that one, I just started using blender this week. The interface took a bit of getting used to, but so far Im liking it. I have to admit that I feel a bit limited in what I can animate, mainly because Im used to AE where you can animate just about anything. The raytracer is blender looks sick

did know about that one, I just started using blender this week. The interface took a bit of getting used to, but so far Im liking it. I have to admit that I feel a bit limited in what I can animate, mainly because Im used to AE where you can animate just about anything. The raytracer is blender looks sick

yep, there are about 60% animatable properties through the "buttons" interface, and the rest have to be done through the ipo window (graph editor if you prefer a more logical name). also some properties can't be animated unless you use shape keys, which is just annoying.

Blenders raytracer is quite fast apparently, but only if you use the right settings. it cripples my laptop for hours on end...sigh. Nice to see another convert to the Blender cause, anyway! You wouldn't happen to be an ex-XSI man would you?

oh no, i am a "want to learn 3D but don't have 4 grand laying around" man.

This may not be the place for this, but I was trying to animate the extrusion of some text and I could not figure out how to do it. I looked high and low on these interwebs and found nothing. You wouldn't be able to point me in the right direction would you?

edit: I looked through those tutorials I linked above and couldn't find anything either (just so I dont look like a retard for posting a link to a tutorial site and then asking how to do something)

Edited by ianfreeze

This may not be the place for this, but I was trying to animate the extrusion of some text and I could not figure out how to do it. I looked high and low on these interwebs and found nothing. You wouldn't be able to point me in the right direction would you?

edit: I looked through those tutorials I linked above and couldn't find anything either (just so I dont look like a retard for posting a link to a tutorial site and then asking how to do something)

i guess this will be moved as soon as a mod chances across it!

your only hope is either a: python scripting (should be a simple one actually, all you really need is the python hook for the property name) or b: shape keys. Unfortunately they're both fairly advanced Blender subjects - but let me know if you want/need more help and we'll continue this discussion in a more appropriate forum.

One method you can use is to turn the text into a mesh (alt C) and then scale the text in one direction (likely Y). You can then animate the scale (press the letter 'i') along the timeline (split the window and select timeline from the first button on your left at the bottom of the 3D view). Easy as pie.

Owight

blender's ui is scheduled for an update in upcoming 2.5 .

edit:

code-fiends to make python scripts for a more easy way of exporting blender cameras into after effects and/or turning blender's nle into something easy to use for motion graphics would be it nice.

Edited by tibor

Heres a link to a script that may work, I say may only because I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

:) that's the one i was thinking about when i said "easier". haven't tried it either, saved it to my hd a while ago as one of those "if i need it i have it" things.

what's true is that it doesn't come with blender by default, while mograph module comes with c4d. someone in the community has tried to make it possible, but the developers (at the moment) don't seem to aknowledge it as "important" ("selling point" is weird for free software) enough to incorporate that kind of features.

the main reason why i'm using blender now is for freeing budget to buy those adobe apps that open-source apps don't quite compare to. i've seen stuff done in blender that gives me the confidence to know it can be done... with a bitch of a UI (with some good things though) to deal with, but possible. two problems:

1 - stuff gets done quicker in maya

2 - blender is due for a UI overhaul, so it's scary to be putting the hours into using (and getting used to) something that might change in a year's time

which i'll have to live with, because i'm am going to be using it a lot this next year.

some sort of toolkit for doing motion design in blender would be nice... a tutorial pack, few scripts, maybe freeframe plugs support in the NLE, a specific forum for complaints, suggestions, etc... so that features/changes can be integrated into future releases. there's no good reason why blender can't become a pretty useable 2.5d(-ish?) package in the future... there's a NLE system, a timeline, keyframes, 3d space, etc. in fact... most stuf that AE does can be done in blender already, just not as easily... or even close. it's sort of like comparing pure data and adobe audition's (aka cool edit) ease of use.

it seems more a question of re-doing parts of the UI and workflow first, so that later other features can be worked on.

my 2cts

Edited by tibor

I agree 100%. The keyframing in blender sort of bugs me, that instead of me being able to key frame certain modifiers there by the slider that controls them, I have to go up to the viewport and hit "i" and then pick the attribute I want to animate.

And your argument about the selling point is dead on, this is something I notice alot with the open source community. Theyre dedication to make free software is amazing, but in a lot of ways they neglect finesse just because it works how it is. Take linux as a prime example. An incredible OS thats rock solid, but no one uses it because the learning curve is almost verticle.

In another thread on blender artist I saw a link to the dev communities thread, but I wasnt able to find that post again. Ill keep looking and if I stumble across it Ill let you know.

:) that's the one i was thinking about when i said "easier". haven't tried it either, saved it to my hd a while ago as one of those "if i need it i have it" things.

what's true is that it doesn't come with blender by default, while mograph module comes with c4d. someone in the community has tried to make it possible, but the developers (at the moment) don't seem to aknowledge it as "important" ("selling point" is weird for free software) enough to incorporate that kind of features.

the main reason why i'm using blender now is for freeing budget to buy those adobe apps that open-source apps don't quite compare to. i've seen stuff done in blender that gives me the confidence to know it can be done... with a bitch of a UI (with some good things though) to deal with, but possible. two problems:

1 - stuff gets done quicker in maya

2 - blender is due for a UI overhaul, so it's scary to be putting the hours into using (and getting used to) something that might change in a year's time

which i'll have to live with, because i'm am going to be using it a lot this next year.

some sort of toolkit for doing motion design in blender would be nice... a tutorial pack, few scripts, maybe freeframe plugs support in the NLE, a specific forum for complaints, suggestions, etc... so that features/changes can be integrated into future releases. there's no good reason why blender can't become a pretty useable 2.5d(-ish?) package in the future... there's a NLE system, a timeline, keyframes, 3d space, etc. in fact... most stuf that AE does can be done in blender already, just not as easily... or even close. it's sort of like comparing pure data and adobe audition's (aka cool edit) ease of use.

it seems more a question of re-doing parts of the UI and workflow first, so that later other features can be worked on.

my 2cts

I don't think the visual part of the ui will change in 2.5.

the idea is that the backend will be overhauled to make the ui more customisable. so essentially you'll be seeing the blender interface, just with more options for hotkeys, layouts, controls etc.

Whilst a lot of motion graphics-style tasks can be accomplished with Blender, it's my opinion that Blender simply isn't suitable for this task at the moment. Let's not forget that Blender is a character animation package first and foremost. This is the reason why the company i work for is now switching to C4D.

RE the AFX point - have you experimented with the node compositor? it's features are getting more advanced by the day, and although it doesn't have the breadth of effects to rival AFX just yet, there's no reason why someone couldn't get hold of the pyNodes code and start making features of their own.

Blender.org has a few dedicated forums for support, but you'll find that they mostly send you over to BlenderArtists, which is a great forum frequented by many of the "major" Blender devs. BA is fine if you can stand being helped out by a 13 year-old kid!

The UI only seems a bitch when you are fighting it. once you come round to Blender's way of working, you'll soon find a considerable speed boost. In fact, i've heard a few ex-Maya users have commented how much faster it is for some tasks than Maya.