Sign in to follow this  
jetsam

Flash vectors to After Effects

Hi.

I am animating hand drawn character silhouettes traditionally in Flash. I want to export these layers in a format that retains the vector information for use in After effects, so that zooming and scaling does not pixelate. Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to do achieve this? Do I need to export each layer from Flash as a solid with the animation as the mask? Or is there a plugin/method that can batch the frames in an appropriate format?

Thanks for your help!

Hi.

I am animating hand drawn character silhouettes traditionally in Flash. I want to export these layers in a format that retains the vector information for use in After effects, so that zooming and scaling does not pixelate. Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to do achieve this? Do I need to export each layer from Flash as a solid with the animation as the mask? Or is there a plugin/method that can batch the frames in an appropriate format?

Thanks for your help!

I generally render out a color pass and a black and white alpha pass (if necessary) as uncompressed quicktimes.

After Effects CS3 has the ability to import SWF files , maintain the vector info, and obviously the file size is ridiculously low...

if for some reason its giving you headaches (AE 7 "claimed" to be have that option but it wasn't really working) there's this SWF plug by Ant Farm (something similiar, let me know if you cant import the SWF i'll look it up with more detail)

in older versions of quicktime maybe its still there in 7.5(but now its called diffrent) you had to go to the Control panel - > Quicktime -> and click the checkbox that says "Enable Flash quicktime (or something similiar) in order to able to import it.

(AE 7 "claimed" to be have that option but it wasn't really working)...

in older versions of quicktime maybe its still there in 7.5(but now its called diffrent) you had to go to the Control panel - > Quicktime -> and click the checkbox that says "Enable Flash quicktime (or something similiar) in order to able to import it.

After Effects 7 and earlier relied on QuickTime for importing SWF files. That was before Adobe bought the company that owned the SWF format and got hold of better and more direct code for that purpose.

Here's a note from the "Supported import formats" section of After Effects Help that summarizes the limitations:

"Note: SWF files are imported with an alpha channel. Interactive content and scripted animation are not retained. Animation defined by keyframes in the main, top-level movie is retained."

Thanks for all the info!

So, After Effects 8.0+ is needed to get the best result when importing .SWF files? And it is possible in After Effects 7.0 and below, but may have problems?

I'll take this onboard, and let you know how it went.

Daveglanz, I would usually do something like your suggestion but I really need the vector info inside AE.

Cheers.

Edited by jetsam

Thanks for all the info!

So, After Effects 8.0+ is needed to get the best result when importing .SWF files? And it is possible in After Effects 7.0 and below, but may have problems?

I'll take this onboard, and let you know how it went.

Daveglanz, I would usually do something like your suggestion but I really need the vector info inside AE.

Cheers.

Nope, AE 8.0+ is required to have continuously rasterized SWF files.

Thanks again for your help.

Importing raw vector animation to AE for compositing is so much cleaner this way. And, goodbye to folders full of PNG sequences!

If I remember, I'll try to update this thread with a result.

In case some one wonders why the vectors don't seem to preserve after importing an SWF: you must toggle the switch on the SWF layer for continuously rasterize. Read here

Edited by jetsam