Sign in to follow this  
Carey

For the glory of MographWiki

It's come to my attention several times that potential clients ARE using mographwiki.net to find new designers, animators, 3d people, studios, reps, etc... and that is a fantastic thing. It has also become apparent that it doesn't serve anyone's needs very well because it never really got past the initial "dump a lot of data in it to get started" stage. It's disorganized and difficult to find or contribute anything. But it has TONS of potential to help us all connect with the work we want, while potentially helping the industry give itself a boost.

I've talked a lot with Matt (yuppster), who has built the site largely himself, and there's lots of stuff that we think we can do with it, but it requires manpower, and I have like negative programming capacity. Which brings me to my point... I've tried to focus on organizing what we have, within the confines of what the wiki setup can do, but I'm having a bitch of a time implementing it in html/css.

So, if you, or anyone you know, would be interested in making this stuff a reality, by all means speak up! It's just formatting, I think. We can build this, or scratch it and go another way, or whatever, but the sooner we get the wiki in shape, the sooner we can all benefit from it.

thanks in advance!

mainpage02.gif

companypage02.gif

isn't part of the issue the fact that so much of the wiki is empty of content? i don't think it's that hard to find freelancers and companies in the wiki's current manifestation, i feel more effort should be geared toward making the site a site as opposed to a series of empty pages. i could be wrong though.

Didn't someone suggest putting contracts and other legal stuff on the wiki?

Maybe we should ask for content ideas again, (I feel as if there is already a thread about this from like 3 years ago somewhere).

here's a few:

Legal documents (as stated above)

Video tutes (moo)

AE Error messages and what the hell they mean.

A Plug-In database - with links back to any tutes on the Video Tutes page

I like the psd brushes page, let's add some more to that

What about something like a Morguefile page? Where we can add our own large format imagery for anyone to use? Royalty Free. I have a Canon 5D with a 1.4/35mm. I like to shoot. I'd gladly share my images. Also the same thing with Video...we're a community. Let's act like it. :)

These are just a few ideas...

isn't part of the issue the fact that so much of the wiki is empty of content? i don't think it's that hard to find freelancers and companies in the wiki's current manifestation, i feel more effort should be geared toward making the site a site as opposed to a series of empty pages. i could be wrong though.

Oh, absolutely. In as far as it's a learning resource, it's essentially useless right now. But I think part of the reason for that is simple organizational confusion, and a lack of clarity of purpose, and that means it's unclear what the wiki's good for, and what you might want to do with or for it. It's not really apparent to the casual observer how they might contribute. The freelancer/company pages as an example: you have people submitting themselves, but all they put up is a web address. As soon as Matt created the auto-formatting templates for company pages, people started filling them out, and now there's more useable info on average. I think the learning resource part of the site has to grow more organically, but if we at least start with something more organized, maybe that makes it easier to conceive of how to contribute. It's like a scaffold for coral or plants or whatever. Just a guiding method to get the thing up on its feet and in the right direction.

this is the original thread for those that are new... http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=9622

firebetty - some of those pages already exist...

http://www.mographwiki.net/List_of_After_Effects_plugins

http://www.mographwiki.net/After_Effects_error_messages

would be great to get the wiki filled up with more content!

sonofabitch.

They need to be easier to find then. For lazy people like me.