Sign in to follow this  
silatix

Voting day

i cant remember the last time i heard people celebrating in the streets over an election!

Yeah, it has never happened in my lifetime of 6 elections that I can remember. Pretty inspiring. Here in Chicago, in Wicker Park, fireworks were going off everywhere and a group of people on my street was chanting OBAMA!

I don't expect miracles of him, that isn't fair, but if we see a good chunk of the change he's promised, we'll all be better off. Except those of you pulling in 7 figures a year.

And I want a pupppy too!

Holy shit, that was easy. We should've done this a long time ago!

My number was either 338 or 353, depending on my mood. We're at the lower number now. Too sick to work out the states to see if 353 is possible.

That Black Panther story was such horseshit, haha! Well, no need for me to be the political expert anymore. I only started being such a whackjob activist because of those fateful 35 days in the 2000 Florida recount. Eight long years later, I don't have to be that guy anymore, and it's a huge relief and vindication.

Does this mean that the US is now a liberal place? Alex Castellanos on CNN just said something that perfectly summed up what's been bugging me for a several months. Castellanos asked (paraphrased),

'What does it take to elect a Democrat as president? You need a historically unpopular current administration. Then you need an unpopular war. Then you need a weak candidate like McCain. Then you need a terrible VP choice like Palin. And then you know what? That's still not enough. You need a financial meltdown of epic proportions. And even then it's not going to be a blowout.

Basically, this never should have been close. For much of America, presidents only come with the ( R ) after their name. Clinton should have ended that with a smooth segue to Gore, but Clinton blew it majorly by diddling with the intern, and then there was the disaster in the recount.

If you ask most voters what they worry about from Dems, it's that they won't be fiscally conservative, because for some reason that only God can explain they don't appreciate that the military is a massive part of government, and no president can claim to be fiscally conservative when he goes out around the world looking for wars in order to (I firmly believe) build a sense of nationalism and maintain a political majority. And they forget that the last president to balance the budget (indeed leave a $700 billion surplus) was our old friend the Big Dog.

Obama will have Republicans in his administration, count on it. It'll be the most politically diverse staff and cabinet in history. Republican moderates (that disappearing breed) Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Dick Lugar and Lincoln Chafee are all on the short list for big jobs, but the first two are currently holding down thin red majorities in their states and so can't be expected to leave easily. Chafee as head of EPA would be fine I think. It'll be the exact opposite of what The Worst President In History did in 2000, when he won with a razor-thin margin but chose a radically right-wing bunch of idiots for his staff and cabinet. Obama wins with a pretty good margin, but instead chooses to go to the middle ground. I think it'll happen. But of course Fox News won't give him any credit for it, just watch. :D

But what's left of Republicans? Do the kick out the crazy? Do they exorcise the complete idiots who crowded into power in that awful election of 1994 and tried to turn us into a creationist, concealed-carry, Islamophobic nation?

No they don't. As usual Krugman says it best:

'Why will the G.O.P. become more, not less, extreme? For one thing, projections suggest that this election will drive many of the remaining Republican moderates out of Congress, while leaving the hard right in place.'

and

'Also, the Republican base already seems to be gearing up to regard defeat not as a verdict on conservative policies, but as the result of an evil conspiracy. A recent Democracy Corps poll found that Republicans, by a margin of more than two to one, believe that Mr. McCain is losing “because the mainstream media is biased” rather than “because Americans are tired of George Bush.” '

Zero self-awareness = very slow to self-correct. Self-pity will be a very big part of our right-wing friends' lives. Having been called a 'traitor' upwards of ten times over the last few years, I can say with zero regret, may they stew in it for a long, long time.

CONGRATULATIONS AMERICA!!!!!!!

It's been a long time since the U.S has done something that the whole world can celebrate.....finding out this morning that Obama had won was a great start to the day.... Congratulations :)

Victory Speech

(Edit; Sorry wrong URL)

Edited by nextexit

on a slight side note.....how the HELL can a convicted felon be elected to the senate...well almost anyway. The Alaskan senate seat is still a toss up, what a ridiculous idea, that people would be so party loyal to vote for a convicted corrupt official...it blows my mind.

So basically in 4 to 8 years we'll back to another president that ends with ® and we'll be complaining about the same ol' stuff all over again. :angry:

That Black Panther story was such horseshit, haha! Well, no need for me to be the political expert anymore. I only started being such a whackjob activist because of those fateful 35 days in the 2000 Florida recount. Eight long years later, I don't have to be that guy anymore, and it's a huge relief and vindication.

Does this mean that the US is now a liberal place? Alex Castellanos on CNN just said something that perfectly summed up what's been bugging me for a several months. Castellanos asked (paraphrased),

'What does it take to elect a Democrat as president? You need a historically unpopular current administration. Then you need an unpopular war. Then you need a weak candidate like McCain. Then you need a terrible VP choice like Palin. And then you know what? That's still not enough. You need a financial meltdown of epic proportions. And even then it's not going to be a blowout.

Basically, this never should have been close. For much of America, presidents only come with the ( R ) after their name. Clinton should have ended that with a smooth segue to Gore, but Clinton blew it majorly by diddling with the intern, and then there was the disaster in the recount.

If you ask most voters what they worry about from Dems, it's that they won't be fiscally conservative, because for some reason that only God can explain they don't appreciate that the military is a massive part of government, and no president can claim to be fiscally conservative when he goes out around the world looking for wars in order to (I firmly believe) build a sense of nationalism and maintain a political majority. And they forget that the last president to balance the budget (indeed leave a $700 billion surplus) was our old friend the Big Dog.

Obama will have Republicans in his administration, count on it. It'll be the most politically diverse staff and cabinet in history. Republican moderates (that disappearing breed) Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Dick Lugar and Lincoln Chafee are all on the short list for big jobs, but the first two are currently holding down thin red majorities in their states and so can't be expected to leave easily. Chafee as head of EPA would be fine I think. It'll be the exact opposite of what The Worst President In History did in 2000, when he won with a razor-thin margin but chose a radically right-wing bunch of idiots for his staff and cabinet. Obama wins with a pretty good margin, but instead chooses to go to the middle ground. I think it'll happen. But of course Fox News won't give him any credit for it, just watch. :D

But what's left of Republicans? Do the kick out the crazy? Do they exorcise the complete idiots who crowded into power in that awful election of 1994 and tried to turn us into a creationist, concealed-carry, Islamophobic nation?

No they don't. As usual Krugman says it best:

'Why will the G.O.P. become more, not less, extreme? For one thing, projections suggest that this election will drive many of the remaining Republican moderates out of Congress, while leaving the hard right in place.'

and

'Also, the Republican base already seems to be gearing up to regard defeat not as a verdict on conservative policies, but as the result of an evil conspiracy. A recent Democracy Corps poll found that Republicans, by a margin of more than two to one, believe that Mr. McCain is losing “because the mainstream media is biased” rather than “because Americans are tired of George Bush.” '

Zero self-awareness = very slow to self-correct. Self-pity will be a very big part of our right-wing friends' lives. Having been called a 'traitor' upwards of ten times over the last few years, I can say with zero regret, may they stew in it for a long, long time.

Guest Sao_Bento
on a slight side note.....how the HELL can a convicted felon be elected to the senate...well almost anyway. The Alaskan senate seat is still a toss up, what a ridiculous idea, that people would be so party loyal to vote for a convicted corrupt official...it blows my mind.

That's a direct result of what Govinda was talking about - people being tricked into thinking that he was unjustly persecuted because he was such a great republican leader.

Ted Stevens isn't the only dirtbag re-elected in Alaska. Sure, Stevens is not only a felon, but also a vindictive, stupid guy (who can forget 'the Internet is a series of tubes!'). But he pales in comparison to Don Young, Alaska's 18-term sole representative in the House. Young is being investigated for taking bribes from the same company that bribed Ted Stevens, and that's just the start of it. He also had an earmark inserted into a spending bill to benefit his friends in Florida, on the exact opposite side of the country from Alaska for those of us into geography. The bill had already passed the House and Senate but had not yet been signed by Bush when Young wrote in the earmark. Young used the time when punctuation and grammar is corrected to throw in his nugget for his friends in Florida. This, my friends, is some ballsy stuff, never heard of before, and a direct violation of some pretty basic parts of the Constitution.

But he got elected again last night by a landslide.

Who would've thought that Sarah Palin would be the 'clean' person in Alaska politics? When Stevens goes to jail, if he wins, there'll be another election, likely pitting the Democrat Begich against some other Republican future convict.

If Duke Cunningham (R-federal penitentiary) would have run again, he probably would have won in Rancho Santa Fe, California. Tom DeLay (R-soon to be wearing orange jumpsuit) surely would have won again in Houston. Bob Ney, Conrad Burns, Rick Renzi and about twelve other corrupt GOP figures round out the blotter in recent years, in comparison to probably three bad Dems (William Jefferson of Louisiana, probably Alcee Hastings of Florida, and one other guy whose name escapes me). This is why one of the reasons I have my 70-30 rule--it's usually a 70% ratio of Republicans being shitbags to 30% Dems being shitbags. In fact that's a big underestimation this time--it's more like 90-10 lately.

Why does these guys get re-elected? Because the mentality is 'better a convicted felon than *gasp* a liberal!'

You really have to hand it to right-wing talk radio and Fox News to have so unraveled the fabric of basic morality in our great nation. :D

beau your avatar is very disturbing, :D is it supposed to be a play on mans best friend? yet very funny at the same time.

(it's time I let you all in on a little secret: I have the sense of humour of a 12 year old)

I was "fuckin' the dog" the other day, so I decided to play some Spore. Making a creature representative of my ambition that day seemed appropriate. Spore automatically makes animated .gifs of your creative process, and you can spit out videos (slightly NSFW depending on whether or not cartoonish sasquatch-canine fornication is SFW where you W) directly to YouTube when you're done.

I know, I know, I'm a sick fuck. ;)

Is this a Canadian phrase?

HAHA! I guess so! I even looked it up on Urban Dictionary before posting to make sure it wasn't just a saying I use.

2. fuckin' the dog

sitting around doing nothing.

"What did you do last night?"

"I was just fuckin' the dog."

The sick thing isn't the dog but rather that you start as a lumpy turd. :D But what a great av.

(Bad play on evolution? Maybe this belongs in the Plumber thread.)