Sign in to follow this  
SteveCo

1 pixel line

Dear collective,

Why o why can I not get a 1 pixel line in after effects? shape layers don't work, stroke filter won't work either.

I need to create a box in ae that can scale but remains 1 pixel thick - so no illustrator or psd files. Using a white 1 pixel as a stroke will alway render a medium grey 2 pixel line because it's trying to anti-alias it. Yes, i've made sure that all points are on exact pixels, both for the shape layer and the position and anchor point values. Any ideas?

Dear collective,

Why o why can I not get a 1 pixel line in after effects? shape layers don't work, stroke filter won't work either.

I need to create a box in ae that can scale but remains 1 pixel thick - so no illustrator or psd files. Using a white 1 pixel as a stroke will alway render a medium grey 2 pixel line because it's trying to anti-alias it. Yes, i've made sure that all points are on exact pixels, both for the shape layer and the position and anchor point values. Any ideas?

create a solid. create a mask. use stroke or 3d stroke. set thickness to 1 and then animate the mask!

Dear collective,

How about.. using a 1 px Solid (or shape I suppose), set the layer to draft, and render with "current" settings, not best. Draft will diable anti-aliasing.

more detail: if you are creating an odd numbered stroke (ie. 1 pt, 3 pt, etc) the size of a box would need to be an even number (ie 220x220) and you need a half pixel for the anchor point. Otherwise it will try and antialias it. Obviously if you're animating the thing it's going to do that anyway, but interesting anyways.

Is this going to NTSC? If so, your 1px line is going to buzz like mad.

Ya, i realize that. This is actually HD, and i probably won't end up using an actual 1 pixel line, it was just driving mad that I couldn't make it work.