Sign in to follow this  
oms

Toshiba Timesculpture

For rehashing a tired effect and making it only 10% different, they sure are smug in the behind the scenes.

Haha, I thought so too. They are like "when you using a technique thats never been done before, you pretty much just have to present it to people as 'trust me, its gonna be amazing'."

I guess presenting it as "go watch The Matrix" just doesnt have the same dramatics to it. :lol:

Haha, I thought so too. They are like "when you using a technique thats never been done before, you pretty much just have to present it to people as 'trust me, its gonna be amazing'."

I guess presenting it as "go watch The Matrix" just doesnt have the same dramatics to it. :lol:

It's funny because on the page Toshiba has it's "Core Facts" with the first one being:

Toshiba debuts world’s first "timesculpture" commercial, an evolution of the "bullet time" technique made famous by The Matrix

Core Facts

* Soundtrack is provided by Crystal Castles, whose singer, Alice Glass, topped NME’s 2008 Cool List last week

Now that'll show everyone that this spot really is cool!

get real

For rehashing a tired effect and making it only 10% different, they sure are smug in the behind the scenes.

Especially since the 10% is taking something relatively cool, and making it really annoying.

It's a clear case of technical "look at what I can do!" without any real attention to how the thing will play as a whole. I don't have speakers where I am, so maybe the music made the motion seem "profound" or something, but on it's own, that was pretty silly.

It's a clear case of technical "look at what I can do!"

Even the technical is average. The interpolation between cam positions is terrible. One thing that made Bullet Time really nice was the interpolation work so it seemed smooth. This Toshiba thing has mad jitter between angle positions.

Especially since the 10% is taking something relatively cool, and making it really annoying.

It's a clear case of technical "look at what I can do!" without any real attention to how the thing will play as a whole. I don't have speakers where I am, so maybe the music made the motion seem "profound" or something, but on it's own, that was pretty silly.

Hmmm. I watched it again without the sound on, and it is kind of boring, even as just novelty. The music does a lot of the work to make this spot feel cool. I mean, sound is important, but you know, so is everything else.

Edited by spritelyjim

@ Chris

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was referring to - the whole stutter motion look totally reminds me of a no budget music video execution.

It would be cool if it were a no budget music video, but when it's billed as pushing the boundaries of what's possible.. I mean, COME ON.

These guys need to look at the Sony HD spots and go back to school.

-Chris